(Landon Ibieta is...) Looking like the goods!

Advertisement
With his skills …Looking at that film he should be dominating that competition…..4 or 5 TD’s a game easy…

Annnnd...that's why he only has 3 stars...

NCAA/NFL scouts are obsessed with making "comparisons", i.e, this guy is the next "Named NFL Star". As such, smaller, scrappier players of a particular complexion tend to be put into the Welker-Edelman category. And don't get me wrong, Welker and Edelman were fantastic players, but many people tend to focus more on heart/hustle rather than speed/route-running as the keys to why a guy has success, thus only 3 stars for a 4-star-worthy kid.

The Bootleggers' coach calls Ibieta one of the TOP FIVE kids he has ever coached. Go back and check out who he has coached, and then we need to start asking the Rivals/247 evaluators some serious questions.

This is NOT about giving the kid a "Gaytor Bump", because he's a UM verbal. This kid's talent should get him the 4th star.
Will Shipley was a white RB and a 5star..complexion has nothing to do with why this kid is rated lower. Ppl haven’t laid eyes on these kids since their sophomore years in HS..haven’t really seen the White slot comp anywhere but maybe CIS..go figure..take what a 7v7 coach has to say when asked about a player with a grain of salt lol..but if this kid and Flip s the floor for this class we are on the right track

Will Shipley was a white RB and a 5star..complexion has nothing to do with why this kid is rated lower. Ppl haven’t laid eyes on these kids since their sophomore years in HS..haven’t really seen the White slot comp anywhere but maybe CIS..go figure..take what a 7v7 coach has to say when asked about a player with a grain of salt lol..but if this kid and Flip s the floor for this class we are on the right track

So you cite one exception, and you think that establishes that there are no biases. Riiiiiight.

Look, I'm not defending it, in fact I hate it, but to act as if there are no biases is just ridiculous. The kid has his 7-on-7 coach RAVING about him (and he has coached some GREATS, so it's not like he is just some random guy with no perspective), he has great stats and film, and Louisiana is crawling with scouts, coaches, and website recruiting analysts.

But, sure, nobody has seen the kid for nearly 2 years. Come on, now. Sure, we'd all like to hold hands and sing kumbaya and act like everyone is colorblind and fair and kind to all the little children, but reality says otherwise.

Advertisement
Miami Flo said he spoke with people he knew from back when he was with Rivals and he was told that Ibieta was the truth. For those that haven’t seen his 7 on 7 coach’s interview here it is.

So you cite one exception, and you think that establishes that there are no biases. Riiiiiight.

Look, I'm not defending it, in fact I hate it, but to act as if there are no biases is just ridiculous. The kid has his 7-on-7 coach RAVING about him (and he has coached some GREATS, so it's not like he is just some random guy with no perspective), he has great stats and film, and Louisiana is crawling with scouts, coaches, and website recruiting analysts.

But, sure, nobody has seen the kid for nearly 2 years. Come on, now. Sure, we'd all like to hold hands and sing kumbaya and act like everyone is colorblind and fair and kind to all the little children, but reality says otherwise.
Your not understanding..I’m sure dumb *** comps are made by cis members and other boards of the like..I’ve yet to see anyone whose evaluated and seen this kid make those comps. When I say nobody has seen him for a year and half, it’s clear his body has matured. Kids get bigger, faster and stronger and that’s the case with Landon and why his offer list blew up

like I said if you take every single 7v7 coaches word to the bank then there’s a whole bunch of all Americans about to sign with schools..that same coach praises all of his kids the same way..I’ve heard that coach speak highly of every guy he has on a podcast he was on lol..and that’s what HS and 7v7 coaches should be doing

now from what I’ve seen from Landon on tape 7v7 and Hs, he can play the outside. He has the height at 5”11/6ft..he has the lateral quickness to get off press and is fast enough to be a threat vertically l..he can play the slot but he’s not exclusively a slot WR

Advertisement
Your not understanding..I’m sure dumb *** comps are made by cis members and other boards of the like..I’ve yet to see anyone whose evaluated and seen this kid make those comps. When I say nobody has seen him for a year and half, it’s clear his body has matured. Kids get bigger, faster and stronger and that’s the case with Landon and why his offer list blew up

like I said if you take every single 7v7 coaches word to the bank then there’s a whole bunch of all Americans about to sign with schools..that same coach praises all of his kids the same way..I’ve heard that coach speak highly of every guy he has on a podcast he was on lol..and that’s what HS and 7v7 coaches should be doing

now from what I’ve seen from Landon on tape 7v7 and Hs, he can play the outside. He has the height at 5”11/6ft..he has the lateral quickness to get off press and is fast enough to be a threat vertically l..he can play the slot but he’s not exclusively a slot WR

I'll make this very clear, since a lot of posts have been made in the meantime.

Someone was asking about his low rating. Like it or not, there is a massive uphill climb when it comes to the rankings/scouting of white RBs and WRs, and that barrier is simply based on perception and stereotypes. Obviously, those things can be overcome, and perhaps Landon will get a 4th or a 5th star, but you also cannot discount the hesitancy that Rivals/247 guys have to change their rankings. That's not exactly a crowd of guys who freely say "yeah, we were wrong, so we are ripping up the last ranking".

And I understand your point on "7 on 7 coaches" and height/weight. But as I pointed out before, this is not some ordinary 7 on 7 coach, he is one of the best in the nation, fields the best teams, and has coached not only some "NCAA-caliber" kids, but NFL stars. For him to say that Landon is one of his Top 5 ALL-TIME players is not mere recruiting fluff.

So let's just be honest. Saban and Orgeron didn't suddenly call Landon to invite him to try out for them because they got updated height/weight numbers. They called because the kid committed to Miami. And nothing causes a slow-playing coach to wake up faster than another team stealing a kid right out of their backyards.

I have never tried to pigeonhole Landon, say he's a "slot", or anything like that. Based on what I heard from others, I have been following this kid closely for a while, and outside of Gibson from Orlando, there is not a WR that I wanted in this class more than Ibieta. And I do like Horton very much.

All I have been talking about is the generalized laziness and stereotyping that goes on in scouting/recruiting. It is far easier for a scout to say things like "he's a poor man's Randall Cobb" than it is to just talk about a kid in terms of what he is on his own. And, for the record, this kind of disrespect/oversight seems to be fuel for Ibieta's fire, so I'm not that worried about the kid surviving this.

Can we at least agree that Rivals/247 are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to raise this kid's ratings/rankings much in the next 3 months?

If we concede WRs can we still continue with the strictly white on white TE/OL/LB/QB comparisons?

BTW, white RB comparison isn't on the table in this peace offering. The board is DYING to toss out a couple hundred Christian McCaffrey comparisons if we ever recruit a white RB
I’m patiently waiting on the next Jason Sehorn.

I'll make this very clear, since a lot of posts have been made in the meantime.

Someone was asking about his low rating. Like it or not, there is a massive uphill climb when it comes to the rankings/scouting of white RBs and WRs, and that barrier is simply based on perception and stereotypes. Obviously, those things can be overcome, and perhaps Landon will get a 4th or a 5th star, but you also cannot discount the hesitancy that Rivals/247 guys have to change their rankings. That's not exactly a crowd of guys who freely say "yeah, we were wrong, so we are ripping up the last ranking".

And I understand your point on "7 on 7 coaches" and height/weight. But as I pointed out before, this is not some ordinary 7 on 7 coach, he is one of the best in the nation, fields the best teams, and has coached not only some "NCAA-caliber" kids, but NFL stars. For him to say that Landon is one of his Top 5 ALL-TIME players is not mere recruiting fluff.

So let's just be honest. Saban and Orgeron didn't suddenly call Landon to invite him to try out for them because they got updated height/weight numbers. They called because the kid committed to Miami. And nothing causes a slow-playing coach to wake up faster than another team stealing a kid right out of their backyards.

I have never tried to pigeonhole Landon, say he's a "slot", or anything like that. Based on what I heard from others, I have been following this kid closely for a while, and outside of Gibson from Orlando, there is not a WR that I wanted in this class more than Ibieta. And I do like Horton very much.

All I have been talking about is the generalized laziness and stereotyping that goes on in scouting/recruiting. It is far easier for a scout to say things like "he's a poor man's Randall Cobb" than it is to just talk about a kid in terms of what he is on his own. And, for the record, this kind of disrespect/oversight seems to be fuel for Ibieta's fire, so I'm not that worried about the kid surviving this.

Can we at least agree that Rivals/247 are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to raise this kid's ratings/rankings much in the next 3 months?
Rivals likely won’t raise his ratings. And that doesn’t matter at all. You mentioned the “stereotypical white, quick but not fast” comp”, my point was nobody has said that about this kid who have seen him play so why bring that up. Based on what he’s done in In 7v7 And his film then verified testing his offer list has expanded..but all in all it’s a dumb argument man lol

Advertisement
I’m old when I read the words “Scotty Miller”, I think a white slot WR that used to play for the fins.
Long line of white guy punt returners for the Dolphins

Advertisement
Ever notice how there’s more white receivers in the NFL than on major P5 rosters?

Advertisement
Back