Lance Roffers, question on Bobby Petrino

Yeah, Missouri State is my hometown team and where I went. Dan Enos was my first OC.

To give an idea of the job that Petrino did at MSU; the year before he got there they won one game. It was in double OT against a winless team.

He took them to their first playoff appearance since 1990 in his very first year (remember, he had a team that won one game the year prior) and they tied for the MVC championship, which is like the SEC on steroids in FCS. The next season he took them back to the playoffs and got them a home playoff game for the first time since 1989. A program that had been to the playoffs twice in their existence he took to the playoffs his first two years.

Last year they had their highest preseason ranking in history (#5) but injuries caused them to have a rough season and then he left. His buyout money from D1 ran out.

Their offense will be a spread with a lot of power principles. If their QB is as good as they think he is, they will have a good offense. Might take them some time to get it going with a new system and you know Jimbo will put his fingerprints on things.

Will be interesting to see how they get along, but don't get it twisted; Petrino can coach. He's had an NFL QB at every stop he's been at other than Missouri State.

Well there you have it. This game is not going to be anything at all like the 17-9 dog-doo show we saw last season. We better hope Dawson and TVD come ready to score, and our improved OL holds up against what will certainly be a quality defensive front. Because we cannot expect our defense to hold them to below 30 without turnovers. IMHO, we can win this game if we're scoring 7-10 points a quarter, 30+ in total. Otherwise it's going to be rough going.

Advertisement
Well there you have it. This game is not going to be anything at all like the 17-9 dog-doo show we saw last season. We better hope Dawson and TVD come ready to score, and our improved OL holds up against what will certainly be a quality defensive front. Because we cannot expect our defense to hold them to below 30 without turnovers. IMHO, we can win this game if we're scoring 7-10 points a quarter, 30+ in total. Otherwise it's going to be rough going.

Hopefully we coach to win the game…

Do you think Bobby still has it, or has the game passed him by? I know he was losing the program post Lamar, but I'm curious how his offensive scheme will work with athletes like Evan Stewart, Ainias Smith and Moose Muhammad, and whatever RB they have to replace Achane.

Does he still wear his crash helmet during waking hours - I haven't paid him much attention and am just curious?

This is one of those games where our crowd at Hard Rock needs to make some sorta impact. Just the way UM used to have for big games at the Orange Bowl, and 2017 vs Vatech and Notre Dame. Games are won by players, but home field advantage can play a role in lifting teams.

I cant wait to be there on Sept 9. I just have a feeling this is a big one for Mario and the program. If I leave that game with my voice in tact, I haven't done my part and failed society

So yeah, it's serious

Advertisement
Hopefully we coach to win the game…
Play To Win New York Jets GIF

Yeah, Missouri State is my hometown team and where I went. Dan Enos was my first OC.

To give an idea of the job that Petrino did at MSU; the year before he got there they won one game. It was in double OT against a winless team.

He took them to their first playoff appearance since 1990 in his very first year (remember, he had a team that won one game the year prior) and they tied for the MVC championship, which is like the SEC on steroids in FCS. The next season he took them back to the playoffs and got them a home playoff game for the first time since 1989. A program that had been to the playoffs twice in their existence he took to the playoffs his first two years.

Last year they had their highest preseason ranking in history (#5) but injuries caused them to have a rough season and then he left. His buyout money from D1 ran out.

Their offense will be a spread with a lot of power principles. If their QB is as good as they think he is, they will have a good offense. Might take them some time to get it going with a new system and you know Jimbo will put his fingerprints on things.

Will be interesting to see how they get along, but don't get it twisted; Petrino can coach. He's had an NFL QB at every stop he's been at other than Missouri State.
I didnt know youre from Springfield.

I live 2 hrs north of there. KC.

Advertisement
He worked wonders here his first year. Football has been an afterthought since late 80's. Nationally ranked team and playoff appearance got the Springfield area hyped but it started to fizzle fast.
Just looking at the numbers, his offense was terrible in 2020 (280 yards per game) but his defense was good enough to win 5 games. then in 2021, the offense made a huge jump to 435yards per game but then fell back off significantly in 2022 back to 366

Besides a motorcycle and blonde co-ed, what are the weaknesses of a Petrino designed O attack?

Advertisement
Miami and Texas A&M are both interesting teams this season for numerous reasons.

Player for player Texas A&M has a more talented roster than Miami imo.

obviously their were major issues internally at TAMU last season. Not sure how the "culture" is right now. Petrino is a good offensive minded coach, but how will he and Jimbo mesh? Could be a recipe for disaster. If things click though, they could win 8-9 with their talent level.

3 teams Miami plays this season that are more talented than Miami. Texas A&M, Clemson, FSU.

Advertisement
Back