Lady Canes should be a Top 10 Team

Advertisement
We have a tough remaining schedule. #14 ranking should be a motivator for the team.
We have a tough remaining schedule. #14 ranking should be a motivator for the team.

Virginia Tech on Thursday is kinda a trap game with the FSU game looming on Sunday. We now have a Bullseye on our back It doesn't have to be pretty just get a win.
I wonder if people understand the luxury of having 2 bigs and that are really good. Watching the Louisville post game press conference Kylie Shook was asked if she ever encountered a tandem like Hof and Montpremier in her career and she said never.

Last edited:
Virginia Tech on Thursday is kinda a trap game with the FSU game looming on Sunday. We now have a Bullseye on our back It doesn't have to be pretty just get a win.
I wonder if people understand the luxury of having 2 bigs and that are really good. Watching the Louisville post game press conference Kylie Shook was asked if she ever encountered a tandem like Hof and Montpremier in her career and she said never.

VT is the epitome of a trap game, they've played the ACC's elite tough all year, and they are a team that may be able to find their way to a win. It's tough to beat anyone on the road in conference play, but a team that has nothing to lose is more dangerous than the typical team.

VT is the epitome of a trap game, they've played the ACC's elite tough all year, and they are a team that may be able to find their way to a win. It's tough to beat anyone on the road in conference play, but a team that has nothing to lose is more dangerous than the typical team.
We just lost to VA Tech. Could not make a shot in the 2nd half and VA Tech made 14 3's

Advertisement
We just lost to VA Tech. Could not make a shot in the 2nd half and VA Tech made 14 3's

Exactly. VT is a lot better than their record would indicate, especially when one looks at the tons of close calls they've had against ranked teams. Miami just happened to run into a team with nothing to lose, that had the night of their lives. That said, this loss doesn't hurt Miami as much as the casual fans want to believe. Miami beats FSU and NCState, or at the worst gets a solid split, and they are fine. This is all about seeding at this points and picking up enough ranked wins to force the committee to give Miami a righteous seed.

Exactly. VT is a lot better than their record would indicate, especially when one looks at the tons of close calls they've had against ranked teams. Miami just happened to run into a team with nothing to lose, that had the night of their lives. That said, this loss doesn't hurt Miami as much as the casual fans want to believe. Miami beats FSU and NCState, or at the worst gets a solid split, and they are fine. This is all about seeding at this points and picking up enough ranked wins to force the committee to give Miami a righteous seed.

Agree they have much ahead to play for and avenging the loss to FSU at home must happen. The one thing if we are going to be elite is you cannot take days off. You have to be able to handle success. The guard play went back to their usual ways. As Katie said at the half the bigs are not going to win this game tonight. Grey was horrible in the first half and Cornelious has to be a more dominant shooter. Miami has always had a strong go to in the backcourt but didn't have the bigs. Now that we have the bigs you cannot expect them to pull you out of games everytime. Players like Marshall a highly regarded shooter from Miami has to be more productive.
Makes me appreciate the two 4 star guards we will have for next year. We have another tough talented 4 star big to ease the loss of Hof. Elite is Elite.

Last edited:
Am I overthinking this.Today Emes Hof has a video on Canes all access promoting the FSU game. Does that qualify for thinking ahead ? Her head did not look in the game today. Shes had many interviews lately voted Natl player of the week and now doing promotions. A bit too much too quick maybe.

Agree they have much ahead to play for and avenging the loss to FSU at home must happen. The one thing if we are going to be elite is you cannot take days off. You have to be able to handle success. The guard play went back to their usual ways. As Katie said at the half the bigs are not going to win this game tonight. Grey was horrible in the first half and Cornelious has to be a more dominant shooter. Miami has always had a strong go to in the backcourt but didn't have the bigs. Now that we have the bigs you cannot expect them to pull you out of games everytime. Players like Marshall a highly regarded shooter from Miami has to be more productive.
Makes me appreciate the two 4 star guards we will have for next year. We have another tough talented 4 star big to ease the loss of Hof. Elite is Elite.

Unlike UConn, Baylor and probably Louisville, Miami isn't able to come out and out talent everyone every night. Therefore, it's likely, and probable that Miami will drop a game to someone that isn't elite. This is a **** good team, but it isn't a team that is up by 20 the moment they hit the floor. It's amazing how this team isn't allowed to do what 99% of programs do occasionally, and that's lose a game they should have won. This isn't UCONN. This isn't Baylor. This isn't even Stanford.

By the way, Miami got plenty of production from Cornelius and Gray. They combined to score 30+, that's what they usually provide. They combined to shoot 50% from beyond the arc, and it wasn't like they didn't hoist up a ton of shots from deep. If you are getting 30+ from the bigs, and 30+ from your two best guards, that means you are usually in good shape to win, because you should be able to scrape 10-15 points from the other 4 people that play. Miami shot 40% from the field, 40% from deep, and STILL LOST. Think that over. VT shot better from deep than they did overall, something that rarely happens in men's basketball, much less women's. Combine that with the fact that they shot **** near 90% from the line(Not shocking considering their season averages, but Miami committed far more fouls than normal), and this is an example of a team playing way above their heads, and Miami not being able to match it. If you look at Miami's numbers tonight, that should have been more than good enough to beat a VT team that hasn't been an offensive juggernaut.

Advertisement
Am I overthinking this.Today Emes Hof has a video on Canes all access promoting the FSU game. Does that qualify for thinking ahead ? Her head did not look in the game today. Shes had many interviews lately voted Natl player of the week and now doing promotions. A bit too much too quick maybe.

What are you talking about? She's done media appearances for most of the last two years(She's been a media darling throughout her career), I doubt this round of appearances magically made her into some unfocused scrub. Good players have off nights, especially when on the road. Stop reaching for these cliche excuses. She had an off night, it happens. Beatrice was off on Sunday, no one gave a crap because Miami won. Never mind the fact that she's had some stinkers throughout her career, she's human. Brittany Greiner doesn't dominate every single night she shows up, and she's physically superior to every player on the floor.

Unlike UConn, Baylor and probably Louisville, Miami isn't able to come out and out talent everyone every night. Therefore, it's likely, and probable that Miami will drop a game to someone that isn't elite. This is a **** good team, but it isn't a team that is up by 20 the moment they hit the floor. It's amazing how this team isn't allowed to do what 99% of programs do occasionally, and that's lose a game they should have won. This isn't UCONN. This isn't Baylor. This isn't even Stanford.

By the way, Miami got plenty of production from Cornelius and Gray. They combined to score 30+, that's what they usually provide. They combined to shoot 50% from beyond the arc, and it wasn't like they didn't hoist up a ton of shots from deep. If you are getting 30+ from the bigs, and 30+ from your two best guards, that means you are usually in good shape to win, because you should be able to scrape 10-15 points from the other 4 people that play. Miami shot 40% from the field, 40% from deep, and STILL LOST. Think that over. VT shot better from deep than they did overall, something that rarely happens in men's basketball, much less women's. Combine that with the fact that they shot **** near 90% from the line(Not shocking considering their season averages, but Miami committed far more fouls than normal), and this is an example of a team playing way above their heads, and Miami not being able to match it. If you look at Miami's numbers tonight, that should have been more than good enough to beat a VT team that hasn't been an offensive juggernaut.
Cornelius had 11pts and Gray had 20 almost all of those in the second half but thats obviously good. Canedude you are a rare breed full of passion and information about Canes womans bb ball. But If you have seen.They have had somereally bad games and they have 6 losses.In the win against Duke they had 30 turnovers in the second half. Feast or famine has been the end result. Finally we have a team that looks good across the board but I don't think you give them a pass when they play average or just badly. Thats not a new thing.

What are you talking about? She's done media appearances for most of the last two years(She's been a media darling throughout her career), I doubt this round of appearances magically made her into some unfocused scrub. Good players have off nights, especially when on the road. Stop reaching for these cliche excuses. She had an off night, it happens. Beatrice was off on Sunday, no one gave a crap because Miami won. Never mind the fact that she's had some stinkers throughout her career, she's human. Brittany Greiner doesn't dominate every single night she shows up, and she's physically superior to every player on the floor.

Canedude I love Hof I'm talking about the whole team. This was a obvious trap game before a big rival game. But if your going to be special the mindset has to change. I'ts not been just one game.

I think Hof got the most coverage for her efforts the most in her career this week do not play that down. She has improved her game gigantically this year.

Cornelius had 11pts and Gray had 20 almost all of those in the second half but thats obviously good. Canedude you are a rare breed full of passion and information about Canes womans bb ball. But If you have seen.They have had somereally bad games and they have 6 losses.In the win against Duke they had 30 turnovers in the second half. Feast or famine has been the end result. Finally we have a team that looks good across the board but I don't think you give them a pass when they play average or just badly. Thats not a new thing.

So, they are expected to be UCONN, where they blitz everyone. Let's look at their six losses.

1. Purdue ON THE ROAD (Purdue is 13-3 at home this year)
  2. Iowa State ON THE ROAD (ISU is 15-1 at home this year)
  3. Central Michigan AT HOME (Central Michigan is a likely tournament team)
  4. Clemson AT HOME
  5. Florida State ON THE ROAD (FSU is 12-3 at home this year)
  6. VT ON THE ROAD (VT has come close to beating multiple top 15 teams this season, including Louisville, FSU and Syracuse)

So, out of those six losses, Clemson and maybe VT can be considered bad losses, and only CMU and Clemson are home losses. Every other loss came ON THE ROAD, to teams that beat **** near everyone at home. What are you getting at? This team, like most teams is significantly better at home, than on the road. That said, this team has also picked up some big wins on the road, and has an opportunity to get some more big wins coming down the stretch. It's amazing how unrealistic people are becoming about this team. This fanbase has this mistaken belief that it's some super team that can't lose to a team that plays above its head. What our new fans are failing to understand is that this team, while extremely talented(By Miami standards) isn't able to overcome any and everything thrown their way due to them being significantly more talented than **** near everyone else. UConn and Baylor rarely lose because they are deep as F and even when they play like crap can overcome it. Think about the following: Beatrice Mompremier is the best player on Miami's roster, she became somewhat of an afterthought at Baylor. She was a solid contributor, but now she's a star. Think about how many players on UConn's or Baylor's bench could possibly start at Miami. That's why that even when UConn is sloppy, they still win by 25 more often than not.

Advertisement
So, they are expected to be UCONN, where they blitz everyone. Let's look at their six losses.

1. Purdue ON THE ROAD (Purdue is 13-3 at home this year)
  2. Iowa State ON THE ROAD (ISU is 15-1 at home this year)
  3. Central Michigan AT HOME (Central Michigan is a likely tournament team)
  4. Clemson AT HOME
  5. Florida State ON THE ROAD (FSU is 12-3 at home this year)
  6. VT ON THE ROAD (VT has come close to beating multiple top 15 teams this season, including Louisville, FSU and Syracuse)
So, out of those six losses, Clemson and maybe VT can be considered bad losses, and only CMU and Clemson are home losses. Every other loss came ON THE ROAD, to teams that beat **** near everyone at home. What are you getting at? This team, like most teams is significantly better at home, than on the road. That said, this team has also picked up some big wins on the road, and has an opportunity to get some more big wins coming down the stretch. It's amazing how unrealistic people are becoming about this team. This fanbase has this mistaken belief that it's some super team that can't lose to a team that plays above its head. What our new fans are failing to understand is that this team, while extremely talented(By Miami standards) isn't able to overcome any and everything thrown their way due to them being significantly more talented than **** near everyone else. UConn and Baylor rarely lose because they are deep as F and even when they play like crap can overcome it. Think about the following: Beatrice Mompremier is the best player on Miami's roster, she became somewhat of an afterthought at Baylor. She was a solid contributor, but now she's a star. Think about how many players on UConn's or Baylor's bench could possibly start at Miami. That's why that even when UConn is sloppy, they still win by 25 more often than not.

Well why do you think I keep alluding to our great recruiting class. We will be better next year. I do not think other than you and me there are many more that can even give you the names of our players. Katies Pressers on youtube get like 25 views. We are a program on the rise and thats why a game like this has to be scrutinized. It does not look good to lose this game after we have gotten the interest now we are getting. No excuses we should have done better today we should have won. So lets just forget this game I called it a trap game I am not dillusional. But we must win on Sunday we did not look strong against them last time. It's our rivalry and it's personal. And one more thing I am glad we are promoting games. We have a chance to see more fans in the stands but like every sports team in Miami you have to be a winner and dominant. If you think it any other way you are living in a dreamworld.

Both of you make spot on points. The women have several more chances to make this a magical season. Previous Meier teams have made noise late in the year. Let's focus and cheer down the homestretch. #itsgreattobeamiamihurricane

Losing to Purdue and Central Michigan (by double digits) was precisely the reason why they weren't ranked higher than 14th despite having wins against Notre Dame and Louisville.

Then they backed that up with a loss to Virginia Tech.

Agreed and for Miami who isn't considered in the elite yet will not get a pass and will be more scrutinized.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Top 10 teams are fairly elite, win many games by 20+ even with the lesser bench fully activated, and rarely lose a game they are favored to win.

So, no insult to Lady Canes, who have come a long way and look like they could go very far the rest of the regular season and playoffs, but not being voted this past week into the Top 10 seems right. And the loss to VT supports that.

We may be improving still (talent, cohesiveness, etc) and with our great coaching might be Top 10 before long, I sure hope so. Meanwhile, let's enjoy a team at UM that doesn't "suck".

Top 10 teams are fairly elite, win many games by 20+ even with the lesser bench fully activated, and rarely lose a game they are favored to win.

So, no insult to Lady Canes, who have come a long way and look like they could go very far the rest of the regular season and playoffs, but not being voted this past week into the Top 10 seems right. And the loss to VT supports that.

We may be improving still (talent, cohesiveness, etc) and with our great coaching might be Top 10 before long, I sure hope so. Meanwhile, let's enjoy a team at UM that doesn't "suck".

Agreed every reason to be positive and everything to play for. I think this team wants to blast FSU at home. Revenge being in my mind for sure. Securing another win over a ranked team . That would keep us in the Top 15 and our high projected seeding.

Beating FSU today thus another ranked team Miami just might edge up to the Ten spot on Monday. Lots of fun to speculate when you keep the fires burning.

Beating FSU today thus another ranked team Miami just might edge up to the Ten spot on Monday. Lots of fun to speculate when you keep the fires burning.

It's amazing how many wins over ranked teams this team has. It's utterly amazing, but they have to keep winning if they want to have any shot of getting a decent seed. If Miami wins out in the regular season, and wins at least 2 games in the ACC Tournament, I could see them being a 4 seed(Judging from previous years, I wouldn't be shocked it if Miami is one seed line lower than what they should be).

Advertisement
Back