Lady Canes should be a Top 10 Team

Number1CanesFan

Sophomore
After watching the Lady Canes' big win over #2 Louisville, I started looking at the AP Top 25 rankings. When I looked deeper, I was astonished. No. I was ****ed!!! To start with, 3 teams ranked higher than Miami are a joke. NC State, Syracuse , and Marquette all have only 1 top 25 win and Miami has already beaten 2 of those 3. NC State's Top 25 win is against Syracuse. Syracuse has 2 Top 25 wins, but only 1 adjusted as Depaul isn't ranked anymore. Miami beat Syracuse by 13 (84-71) on their court. Marquette has 1 Top 25 win and 0 when adjusted. Miami beat Marquette 63-55. How are either of these teams ranked higher than Miami?

Miami has 4 Top 25 wins and two of them are against the #2 and #4 teams in the country. Are you kidding me? Miami has more adjusted Top 25 wins (4) than 13 teams ranked higher than them: Connecticut (2), Maryland (2), Marquette (0), Oregon State (1), Stanford (2), South Carolina (2), NC State (1), Gonzaga (1), Texas (1), Syracuse (1), Kentucky (1), Iowa State (1), and Arizona State (1).

Quite frankly, the Lady Canes are getting robbed. Let's see how far they move up in the rankings.

Your thoughts?

Here's the Top 25 teams and there AP 25 record (new rankings will be out later today):

AP Top 25 Record Top 25 W-L Top 25 W-L (Adj)
1Baylor (22)22-15-15-1
2Louisville (3)23-15-25-2
3Oregon (3)23-16-05-0
4Connecticut21-24-22-2
5Mississippi State22-15-15-1
6Notre Dame22-36-26-2
7Maryland22-22-22-2
8Marquette21-31-30-3
9Oregon State20-42-41-4
10Stanford19-44-22-2
11South Carolina17-53-52-5
12North Carolina State21-21-11-1
13Gonzaga22-21-11-1
14Iowa19-55-26-2
15Texas1-31-31-3
16Syracuse18-52-41-4
17Kentucky19-53-41-4
18Iowa State18-51-31-3
19Arizona State16-62-41-4
20Miami (FL)21-54-24-2
21Florida State20-42-22-2
22Texas A&M18-52-32-3
23Rutgers17-62-22-2
24Michigan State16-64-33-3
25South Dakota22-32-01-0

Last edited:
Advertisement
I expect they will crack the top 10 when the next rankings come out
Based on their Top25 wins prior to Louisville, the Lady Canes should have been ranked much higher than #20. They had already beaten Marquette #8 and Syracuse #16. Then add in Notre Dame. For the life of me, I can't understand why Marquette and Syracuse are ranked so high.

Based on their Top25 wins prior to Louisville, the Lady Canes should have been ranked much higher than #20. They had already beaten Marquette #8 and Syracuse #16. Then add in Notre Dame. For the life of me, I can't understand why Marquette and Syracuse are ranked so high.
Don’t be disappointed, the bias is real, Canes can’t catch s break nationally. Win their tournament, they can’t be denied.

Advertisement
The problem is like you said they should have been ranked higher all along. Realistically we probably will see #12 but we all know we are a Top 5 team if we keep playing to our potential. My guess is we beat FSU at home and NC State we will be in the Top 5 before the Conference tournament.

We had some bad losses during non conference play as well as the loss to Iowa State. We need to revenge whip FSU this coming Sunday and we should be on our way (after the ACC tournament) to a much higher seed. As we have learned in the past, "what have you done for me lately" does weigh on the committee's minds.

We had some bad losses during non conference play as well as the loss to Iowa State. We need to revenge whip FSU this coming Sunday and we should be on our way (after the ACC tournament) to a much higher seed. As we have learned in the past, "what have you done for me lately" does weigh on the committee's minds.

Good point a few of our losses were pretty ugly. Nice to see some new posters and interest both from the fans and the media. That being said we still need to get better with turnovers and defense . This is part of what Katie has been building in this cycle.Miami has a chance to join the elite in womans BB and recognition will get there. Our strong recruiting class with practically the whole team coming back will keep fans excited going forward.

Advertisement
Central Michigan was a bad loss at home. Purdue on the road maybe. ISU #16 on the road is an acceptable loss. The Clemson loss was without Mompremier. Her father passed away and she missed that game.
The good news is that this team is playing their best basketball late in the year. If they stay focused, they should win out. VT and GT are at the bottom of the conference. FSU at home and finishing out at NC State will be tough, but I just read that NC State's top scorer Grace Hunter is out for the season when she tore her ACL last week.

#14 it looks like

Still Bogus. NC State at #9. They've only lost twice but haven't played anyone. They have ND tonight and still have to play Louisville. I hope they win tonight because it will be better for Miami if NC State is ranked high when we play them.

I still can't understand how Marquette is at #11. We already beat them and we have more quality wins.

Though I think the #14 ranking that just came out is low, Miami still has opportunities to move up with potential Top 25 games against FSU and NC State. If the Lady Canes can win out the regular season, they should move into the top 8. That should secure them a #2 seed if they win a few games in the ACC Tournament. Win the regular season and the conference tournament and they'll be a #1 seed.

Advertisement
Keep winning and the rankings will sort themselves out

Probably not, because voters vote based on name recognition, not on actual accomplishments. If that wasn't the case, Miami would EASILY be top 10. Let's cut the nonsense, Miami lost to Purdue and Iowa State ON THE ROAD. It's tough to beat any Power 5 team in their own gym, much less one like Iowa State, who is consistently a solid program. It's amazing that Miami has beaten double, and in some cases triple the amount of ranked teams as some of the teams ranked ahead of them, but that doesn't count because they lost to a CMU team that most likely will be in the **** tournament. By the way, that CMU team that people love to point to as an ugly loss? They lost by FOUR to Louisville, in Louisville. CMU isn't some scrub team, contrary to what some of our newer fans want to believe.

Advertisement
The polls mean nothing other than for fun. There is a committee that ranks teams that is the only one that matters and Miami was ranked 16 last week before the Louisville game

The polls mean nothing other than for fun. There is a committee that ranks teams that is the only one that matters and Miami was ranked 16 last week before the Louisville game
Correct. The tournament committee made the top 16 rank last week before the Louisville game. Miami was one of the top 16 and at that time a #4 seed. Maybe a 1 or 2 seed by seasons end.

#14 is a joke, but yes fortunately it may not be what determines our NCAA fate.

Advertisement
Back