Lack of DT recruiting attention

He didn’t have enough motor according to the last staff.

@Coach Macho the kid was literally immovable even with the double team but they were nitpicking him over motor.

That **** still ****es me off.
This staff wasn’t interested either. Tarbor was set on going to Georgia Tech until he got a late offer from Oklahoma. Mario was already here when that happened. Our coaches preferred Ahmad Moten.

Advertisement
We are recruiting DTs, alot of them are tweeners in high school, im the 270, 280 range. By the time they gwt on campus 300 no problem. More importantly, most of them are tall players. 6'4 range. Mario is a trench guy and he is good at evaluating body types and projecting their growth. Top ranked interior high school DL are few and they usually go to a few schools. You have to evaluate and coach up most of them.
Not a few schools. Just one. A&M hoarded them all.

There has to be a reason that he doesn’t have more schools after him, he really isn’t a hot name after having been in the portal for a minute. Steele recruited him to AU, easy connection but something stinks there.
Young man was a cancer in the locker room at Auburn. Got his *** kicked a couple times. My son is in that locker room. I’m all for young men getting an opportunity to better themselves and their families, but I would say buyer beware in this case.

This staff wasn’t interested either. Tarbor was set on going to Georgia Tech until he got a late offer from Oklahoma. Mario was already here when that happened. Our coaches preferred Ahmad Moten.

I hope we don’t get tunnel vision at DT. I like Moten, but he is just one guy. Everybody wants the guys who can collapse the pocket, but we need someone who can not get blown of the line by a double team right now.

I remember @CoachMacho talking about us evaluating him and there seemed to be interest, but it seemed like we were slow playing him and he decided to lock in with Georgia Tech.

Would Mario back off a guy we reach out to and gets a really negative response? With our issues at that position, it’s hard to believe they wouldn’t be interested in a guy who caught Venables attention.

I'm saying who's the 300 to 310lb plus run stuffing DT
Some of those kids seem to hit closer to 270 by senior year...But ya I guess only Walker and Mitchell from that list as of now...Jarret from NC maybe is being recruited at DT/OL?

Advertisement
I understand people crave the big dudes, but getting a 300+ pound two gapper out of HS is insanely rare.

Out of the Top 25 recruits per 247, two are above 300 pounds. The ones who play at that weight usually dont have that high of a ranking. They lack splashy plays, fancy moves, etc. Being that big and playing NT means doing the dirty work and not having highlights.

I hope we don’t get tunnel vision at DT. I like Moten, but he is just one guy. Everybody wants the guys who can collapse the pocket, but we need someone who can not get blown of the line by a double team right now.

I remember @CoachMacho talking about us evaluating him and there seemed to be interest, but it seemed like we were slow playing him and he decided to lock in with Georgia Tech.

Would Mario back off a guy we reach out to and gets a really negative response? With our issues at that position, it’s hard to believe they wouldn’t be interested in a guy who caught Venables attention.
Mario essentially took Moten from Venables. I know Manny’s interest in Tarbor was lukewarm but even when Mario came aboard there wasn’t any smoke. I know we could use some big bodied tackles but I’m just going to have to trust the staff’s evaluations.

Young man was a cancer in the locker room at Auburn. Got his *** kicked a couple times. My son is in that locker room. I’m all for young men getting an opportunity to better themselves and their families, but I would say buyer beware in this case.

Good looking out with the inside info, with that being the case I can see why he is not getting a lot of traction in the portal. Good luck to your son also, I hope he has a good career and gets some good nil money.

Go Canes

Advertisement
One thing I took away from the spring game was the lack of DT talent which Im sure no one is surprised by. But what is surprising is the lack of attention to the position in recruiting. Most of the prospects I see linked to are DE types. What do you guys see or think about the future of this position?

This team needs a ready made war daddy from the portal. I'm sure we'll look at Freshman for the next cycle, but right now, need a ready-to-go-player from somewhere.

Also, considering our new scheme under Kevin Steele, we will need some different player types at DT and I'd wager we look at more SSDE type of recruits as well.

Miami has a “310+” dude in Miller and from where I was sitting, he had a **** good Spring game. He played stout and dominated the point of attack.

Whoever is backing him up isn’t up to the task yet.

There were many instances of the nose getting knocked off the ball but it’s hard to tell numbers on the line on a screen.

If Miller was good, great. But we need another at least another dude.

I understand people crave the big dudes, but getting a 300+ pound two gapper out of HS is insanely rare.

Out of the Top 25 recruits per 247, two are above 300 pounds. The ones who play at that weight usually dont have that high of a ranking. They lack splashy plays, fancy moves, etc. Being that big and playing NT means doing the dirty work and not having highlights.
I was just looking at the DT from UGA who entered the s portal a few minutes ago. 300lb 3-4 star guy offered by every SEC school out of HS.

Advertisement
One thing I noticed is that the play calling, designs, and identifying who to block has VASTLY improved.

Last year we struggled to get push with the double team consistently. We are much better now.

But we are also much better at using the defensive alignment against the defense. We didn’t waste a bunch of plays forcing it into the strength of the defense. The blockers used angles and leverage to take the defender in the direction he was already going. The linebackers had no chance because offensive linemen were at the second level almost instantly.

We are going to have a great run game. Only elite lines will have any chance to stop us. We might be the best run offense our defense faces all season. Who would have thought that after last year?

Whoever is backing him up isn’t up to the task yet.

There were many instances of the nose getting knocked off the ball but it’s hard to tell numbers on the line on a screen.

If Miller was good, great. But we need another at least another dude.
Haye is that dude. I was at the game. Which nose was getting knocked off the ball?

Advertisement
I was just looking at the DT from UGA who entered the s portal a few minutes ago. 300lb 3-4 star guy offered by every SEC school out of HS.
He was in their rotation too. I would take him and the kid from OSU. Take the upside over production.

Though true, this is more we big DT and recruit them. Don't see a lot because their aren't a bunch of them. We know we on the two Osceola boys Brown and LaBlanc. Couple Texas cats. Some big local recruit was at the spring game, but never heard of him before then. For anyone to think we aren't recruiting Big DT is insane.

Haye is that dude. I was at the game. Which nose was getting knocked off the ball?

I went back and looked.

It was the 3T that was losing bad to the double teams. LT and Lichtenstein got washed a lot. Gattis’ plays attacked the 3T with the double and used angles on the nose. It’s good strategy.

The run defense seemed to improve as the game went on, but we threw the ball a lot in the second half. There was a lack of penetration at the point of attack.

Advertisement
Back