Lack of DT recruiting attention

I've been screaming this in the worst way.

We really whiffed on Jayson Jones. We need a big bodied NT with actual experience.

To me, I don't trust our own interior DL. Mannys scheme is actual just lazy DL play where DL do not learn to engage and disengage correctly.

Old habits truly die hard and we see it with LT and JHH. They flash, but at times, also get washed too. I'd love to see CMC aggressively go after a 'war daddy'! Someone who will hold the LOS and allow Lichtenstein, LT, and JHH to stay fresh and rotate at 3T. Right now, we just don't have that dominate force inside and Miller, Haye, etc are not proven commodities yet. If we are pursuing SDE like mesidor, a position where players like Elijah and Chantz have shown real potential, then why not bring in someone at NT, where our depth isnt as strong.

Advertisement
Agreed for instance this young monster (DT Marquis Robinson) is in the portal from Auburn and has a relationship with Coach Steele.

Go Canes

There has to be a reason that he doesn’t have more schools after him, he really isn’t a hot name after having been in the portal for a minute. Steele recruited him to AU, easy connection but something stinks there.

You man seem to be coaxed into thinking the only strong players are 300 pounds and above. You got players who are 6'4 290 who can give guards the work inside. Isador was playing NT. He is strong and quick. We have a couple 300 pound DT, Haye and number 91. We need people who play with leverage and got a motor, not just any big dude.

You man seem to be coaxed into thinking the only strong players are 300 pounds and above. You got players who are 6'4 290 who can give guards the work inside. Isador was playing NT. He is strong and quick. We have a couple 300 pound DT, Haye and number 91. We need people who play with leverage and got a motor, not just any big dude.

Did you not watch the playoffs last year, at the LOL you need 300+lbs that can run and are country strong. Both Cincy and Michigan got curb stomped by ole country sec big boy types on the LOS. Those 280lbs DT'S you want got Molly Whopped by $EC olinemen named nickname Porkchop Jones, Bubba Biscuits N Gravy Brown, and Sweet Tea Tobias Tucker.

Go Canes

Let's take a middle of the pack $EC team like Kentucky to compare the effectiveness of having big ole athletic dlinemen that are 300+lbs. The parlayed all that beef into a Top 15 defense that was incredibly stout against the run.

Now I am not saying that smaller DT'S can't be effective, but remember good modern day olinemen are massive but are also agile and have the stamina to play 70 plus snaps per game. So as defensive evolve they need to add big boi's that can also run. Look at UGA's jordan Davis and Jalen Carter or Bama's Tim Smith and PhilDarius Mathis all of whom are 310+lbs but run like a linebacker.

Go Canes

Advertisement

Haye and Miller haven't shown themselves to be the small, dominant, type. And, we don't have anyone, on the interior DL, who has consistently produced positive results. Mesidor and Moultrie, who both have experience at DT, have both requested to play DE.

If either Haye or Miller get hurt, I'd hate to see guys on our DL have to play out of position.

There has to be a reason that he doesn’t have more schools after him, he really isn’t a hot name after having been in the portal for a minute. Steele recruited him to AU, easy connection but something stinks there.
Yes, I'd like to know what. I know Mizzou was targeting him hard. Believe he visited.

He could help. Darrell Jackson, too.

Here's to more DT's in portal soon.

Let's take a middle of the pack $EC team like Kentucky to compare the effectiveness of having big ole athletic dlinemen that are 300+lbs. The parlayed all that beef into a Top 15 defense that was incredibly stout against the run.

Now I am not saying that smaller DT'S can't be effective, but remember good modern day olinemen are massive but are also agile and have the stamina to play 70 plus snaps per game. So as defensive evolve they need to add big boi's that can also run. Look at UGA's jordan Davis and Jalen Carter or Bama's Tim Smith and PhilDarius Mathis all of whom are 310+lbs but run like a linebacker.

Go Canes
Im more concerned about having taller DTs who have a motor.

Advertisement
I see a decent amount of DTs

CB and QB is what I'm running about

AT DT (not including the top 2 Bama DTs Smith and Woods bc I don't think they're coming, or Leblanc bc I don't think he is either...and I won't include Bain who I think there is a good chance ends up at DT)

Walker, Hicks, D.Reed, A.James, A.Porter, Connor Knight, Sydir Mitchell, and then there's always the portal

Advertisement
I see a decent amount of DTs

CB and QB is what I'm running about

AT DT (not including the top 2 Bama DTs Smith and Woods bc I don't think they're coming, or Leblanc bc I don't think he is either...and I won't include Bain who I think there is a good chance ends up at DT)

Walker, Hicks, D.Reed, A.James, A.Porter, Connor Knight, Sydir Mitchell, and then there's always the portal
I'm saying who's the 300 to 310lb plus run stuffing DT

Go Canes
Interesting that you mention Kentucky. Stoops keeps a couple of huge DT's in his program. If UK can do it, then we surely can. First thing you've got to do is throw numbers at the position.

Advertisement
Interesting that you mention Kentucky. Stoops keeps a couple of huge DT's in his program. If UK can do it, then we surely can. First thing you've got to do is throw numbers at the position.

Stoops keeps a steady squad of thick Kentucky southern bells with serious PPP on speed dial to service his big boy linemen on the regular. #PaducahPunaniPower

And then you add in UK under Stoops has consistently put O&D linemen in the NFL later rounds which is still good money.

Go Canes

Dorlus while an improvement is basically a carbon copy body wise of several guys we already have in the room.

He is listed as 6’3 284 LBs. Basically the same as LT and JHH. We need bigger (310+) dude in the room
Miami has a “310+” dude in Miller and from where I was sitting, he had a **** good Spring game. He played stout and dominated the point of attack.

Advertisement
Back