Lack of DT recruiting attention

jbeadle2

Recruit
One thing I took away from the spring game was the lack of DT talent which Im sure no one is surprised by. But what is surprising is the lack of attention to the position in recruiting. Most of the prospects I see linked to are DE types. What do you guys see or think about the future of this position?

Advertisement
Yea good point I see a lot of quick up field pass rushing DTs but we still need to find one space eating run stuffing 300lb plus DT each year

Spring HS evaluation period started April 15 lasts until May 31st. That plus summer camps should both expand and solidify the board. Mario emphasizes size.

possibly, he wants Salavera, Steele, Strong and himself to get eyes on certain recruits they’ve already watched on tape.

Advertisement
One thing I took away from the spring game was the lack of DT talent which Im sure no one is surprised by. But what is surprising is the lack of attention to the position in recruiting. Most of the prospects I see linked to are DE types. What do you guys see or think about the future of this position?

I'm sure they pay attenention to it. The reality is that DT war daddies are a prime commodity in recruiting. Look at signing classes over the last 5-10 years for Bama, UGA, LSU, OSU, ATM and others - they prioritize massive OL and DL. This year happens to also be a down year for big time DTs in recruiting. Point is - everyone is looking for those big DTs. I'd say they are harder to find than a good edge kid.

We are recruiting DTs, alot of them are tweeners in high school, im the 270, 280 range. By the time they gwt on campus 300 no problem. More importantly, most of them are tall players. 6'4 range. Mario is a trench guy and he is good at evaluating body types and projecting their growth. Top ranked interior high school DL are few and they usually go to a few schools. You have to evaluate and coach up most of them.

Advertisement
Dorlus isn’t the 300+ pounder that we all keep referring to that we need, but he is def much more stout that the interior types we have. We need the Jackson kid desperately.

The lack of names trending does scare me some, but if we know how bad we need this… so does the staff so we just have to let this play out.

Advertisement
Mario has tried, just hasn't worked out so far. This guy sure would've looked good lining up at DT for the Canes. That being said, if Jennings has had second thoughts at KState, I sure hope Jones sees the writing on the wall at for the staff at AU and reconsiders (although I've seen absolutely no rumors to this effect).

Dorlus while an improvement is basically a carbon copy body wise of several guys we already have in the room.

He is listed as 6’3 284 LBs. Basically the same as LT and JHH. We need bigger (310+) dude in the room
Do we even know how recent those listed weights even are ? I see lots of people claim weights from the 247 profiles that are from their senior year of high school.

Do we even know how recent those listed weights even are ? I see lots of people claim weights from the 247 profiles that are from their senior year of high school.

got it from the Oregon roster

his 247 recruiting profile listed him at 270

Advertisement
Dorlus isn’t the 300+ pounder that we all keep referring to that we need, but he is def much more stout that the interior types we have. We need the Jackson kid desperately.

The lack of names trending does scare me some, but if we know how bad we need this… so does the staff so we just have to let this play out.

That Jenkins kid who transferred from Oregon to Auburn is the one loss that stings. His presence would have addressed a lot of the length and size issues we are facing. 6’6 320lbs dudes who get major burn as true Freshman are rare.

Supply and demand. There just aren't that many talented HS players with the requisite size to recruit. Creates a crazy market.

We need to follow the big thick mama's with breeding hips. For example UGA DT Jalen Carter's momma whose from Apopka, FL is thicker than a biscuit covered in sausage gravy. Mmmmmhmmmm, but Miami missed on him.

#ThickThighsMakeBigLives.

Go Canes

you're definitely right on the lack of talent but I think it's silly to assume that Mario and staff are not addressing through recruiting. Just because you don't see it posted here or all over twitter doesn't mean they aren't out there hustlin'
Agreed for instance this young monster (DT Marquis Robinson) is in the portal from Auburn and has a relationship with Coach Steele.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back