Kudos to Couch....

Advertisement
I’ve been hopeful he could give us something like what we hoped during season 1. He has good feet and is often in an ok place. He's sometimes a willing tackler, or at least puts his nose in there. He’s had trouble with the ball in the air and in anticipation. We’ll see what happens as the season goes on.

He had a couple rough plays. Williams had a couple rough angles, too.

There was a play, in particular, that I imagine showed up on TAMU’s scouting report. Couch in the slot got beaten inside. James Williams was in center field and misstepped and then had a poor angle. The result wasn’t just the initial 12-14 yard catch, but probably an additional 14 yards after it. 1DAD8DF1-466C-4EF5-8DF9-59E76F9F9AB4.png

Couch is here trailing the WR, who beat him inside out of the slot.

36E8D463-5725-4AB0-B33C-B903AA8F534F.png

Williams is the tiny helmet at the bottom toward the left center (above the A in ACC).

2F6CEDBC-E0CC-404C-8900-57206EB80B44.png
Now they're both chasing the WR, who added a significant chunk.

Kinda surprised we didn't see more from Davonte Brown...still early though. I'm sure they will rotate a lot

Advertisement
I’ve been hopeful he could give us something like what we hoped during season 1. He has good feet and is often in an ok place. He's sometimes a willing tackler, or at least puts his nose in there. He’s had trouble with the ball in the air and in anticipation. We’ll see what happens as the season goes on.

There was a play, in particular, that I imagine showed up on TAMU’s scouting report. Couch in the slot got beaten inside. James Williams was in center field and misstepped and then had a poor angle. The result wasn’t just the initial 12-14 yard catch, but probably an additional 14 yards after it. View attachment 254503

View attachment 254504

Williams is the tiny helmet at the bottom toward the left center.

View attachment 254505

That little transfer in, he had some game for sure. He was a mismatch for anyone out there. He could play here or anywhere from what I saw last night.

I still have no idea what we've got at corner. Having said that, Couch put in some work in the weight room. He was certainly more physical.

Advertisement

There was a play, in particular, that I imagine showed up on TAMU’s scouting report. Couch in the slot got beaten inside. James Williams was in center field and misstepped and then had a poor angle. The result wasn’t just the initial 12-14 yard catch, but probably an additional 14 yards after it. View attachment 254503

View attachment 254504

Williams is the tiny helmet at the bottom toward the left center.

View attachment 254505
🤣 you can’t blame Williams for being in his zone. I thought couch tackled better outside one play and like 3 other players missed but the ground was wet af at that time. Outside of that play we tackled well. Need to see couch use the sideline as the extra defender more.

Advertisement
On this first rewatch, Couch and Harvey really stood out to me
Yes, both looked like the players we thought they should be the past few years. That was one of the biggest plusses I saw in this game. Not only do the newcomers look good, but some of the old players we considered to be lost causes are looking good. That does wonders for the team depth, and is also a testament to the coaching staff.

Yes, both looked like the players we thought they should be the past few years. That was one of the biggest plusses I saw in this game. Not only do the newcomers look good, but some of the old players we considered to be lost causes are looking good. That does wonders for the team depth, and is also a testament to the coaching staff.
I think it’s another example of not having to put a kid in a spot he doesn’t belong

Couch didn’t suddenly become a terrible player. He’s got limitations for sure but that’s the coaches job, to put him in spots that doesn’t expose him

So our secondary getting better depth is gonna help there

Watching Flagg last night was similar. We had him showing pressure and then dropping into coverage and doing a solid job (from what I could tell) but asking him to pursue and fill he’s just not the guy for that

Advertisement
🤣 you can’t blame Williams for being in his zone. I thought couch tackled better outside one play and like 3 other players missed but the ground was wet af at that time. Outside of that play we tackled well. Need to see couch use the sideline as the extra defender more.
Watch the video. Williams started on the boundary hash and opened up toward the other hash (to play centerfield), while the WR cut across him. He was in good initial position. But, was a moment late to recognize or simply misstepped. You don't just "play" your zone. Anticipate the routes that come across it. You know this. Which is why you see him chasing the WR rather than having cut him off for a shorter gain than what was achieved. Those are just the facts of that specific play. Not sure why that'd make you laugh.

Here are three other looks that show the plain sequence:

Screen Shot 2023-09-02 at 11.07.16 AM.png

Started on boundary hash, backpedaling toward middle of the field.

Screen Shot 2023-09-02 at 11.07.30 AM.png

Opening up toward middle of the field with ball already in the air.

Screen Shot 2023-09-02 at 11.07.41 AM.png

Now making his way back toward the boundary once WR caught the ball.

Agree on Couch using the sideline as an extra defender. He did make a couple nice plays in zone.

@LuCane , agree with you 100%. WIlliams is still a WIP. Bad angles a couple times, and still shoulder tackling. Kid could be special, but he needs to work on his fundamentals. ... As for Couch, I think he's better, more consistent. But his ceiling is lower than I had hoped when we saw him flash his first year. I'm hoping the young guys continue to push him for playing time.

View attachment 254504

Williams is the tiny helmet at the bottom toward the left center (above the A in ACC).

View attachment 254505
Yeah, when I saw the title I expected the description to be quite a bit more harsh. I saw Couch as “needing improvement” after this game.

Advertisement
Back