Knighton is not hurt

The heavier load he was carrying was last year. There is no excuse for his poor play this year. He's been too much of a liability this year with drops (I think he's had 3 or more) and fumbles.
We have nobody else. Thad apparently isnt reliable and when he was given an opportunity buddy did nothing. (15 carries for 35 yards against MTSU) And he wants to be a finesse runner at 245lbs. Which is what we dont need from him.

Parrish cant carry it alone. Hes barely hanging on as it is. And if you want to just plain throw this season in the trash and either A) have TVD throwing the ball 60 times a game from here on out or B) end the season 5-6...then you trot out the UAB kid. Your basically waving the white flag in that scenario and saying this season is done.

Advertisement
I'm not sure if Knighton played multiple sports in HS. In any event, whatever we're missing from the other RBs (ball security, speed, running through contact, etc.), Chaney has, we miss Him in the running game badly.
While I agree with you on Chaney, to be honest, that's really just speculation. He has flashed briefly showing he's special but we can't say he is because he is ALWAYS hurt.

It doesn't matter if you're Adrian Peterson or Emmitt Smith, if you can't play because you're hurt it doesn't do anything except produce "what ifs."

While I agree with you on Chaney, to be honest, that's really just speculation. He has flashed briefly showing he's special but we can't say he is because he is ALWAYS hurt.

It doesn't matter if you're Adrian Peterson or Emmitt Smith, if you can't play because you're hurt it doesn't do anything except produce "what ifs."
Chaney will be going into his 4th year at UM next season (which is when reports are saying he will be fully healthy) and we are still waiting on him to be that 5* RB we thought he would be. People are down on Knighton but at least hes been available. Thats why I defend him. The fumbles are inexcusable. That fumble killed momentum but it absolutely didnt cost us the game.

We have nobody else. Thad apparently isnt reliable and when he was given an opportunity buddy did nothing. (15 carries for 35 yards against MTSU) And he wants to be a finesse runner at 245lbs. Which is what we dont need from him.

Parrish cant carry it alone. Hes barely hanging on as it is. And if you want to just plain throw this season in the trash and either A) have TVD throwing the ball 60 times a game from here on out or B) end the season 5-6...then you trot out the UAB kid. Your basically waving the white flag in that scenario and saying this season is done.
You raise some 🎯 points

GOCANES

You're right.

I wasn't saying that to justify benching him for the rest of the season. I was justifying why we haven't seen more of him this season. I also disagree with saying there is only A or B and nothing else though.

We have to be more creative than just running between the tackles every time we want to run. We all want Knighton to succeed and make house calls. He just needs to get out of his own way and prove he can be relied upon. He is putting all of the workload that he had last year on Parrish.

Advertisement
You're right.

I wasn't saying that to justify benching him for the rest of the season. I was justifying why we haven't seen more of him this season. I also disagree with saying there is only A or B and nothing else though.

We have to be more creative than just running between the tackles every time we want to run. We all want Knighton to succeed and make house calls. He just needs to get out of his own way and prove he can be relied upon. He is putting all of the workload that he had last year on Parrish.
I was using the A or B scenario in regards to people saying they want to see the UAB kid. And in that scenario, we have basically said F it because there isnt a scenaio where he should ever see the field here in any of our remaining games. (hence the TVD throwing 60 times a game or just coming to grips that we are going to go 5-6 and the season is done examples)

But I agree with your points. Again, I thought Rooster was a 2nd yr guy. Him being a 3rd yr guy and still doing what he is doing makes me pull back a little on my defense of him. 3rd year guy shouldnt be making those kids of mistakes in crucial moments. Hes an upperclassmen now. He should be leading the charge.

Chaney will be going into his 4th year at UM next season (which is when reports are saying he will be fully healthy) and we are still waiting on him to be that 5* RB we thought he would be. People are down on Knighton but at least hes been available. Thats why I defend him. The fumbles are inexcusable. That fumble killed momentum but it absolutely didnt cost us the game.

Next season? I thought they said He was going to be back this season?

I hear you, but if Chaney was fully healthy this season we wouldn't be sitting at 2-3. He's all of our RBs rolled into one but at 220#s, scary.

Advertisement
Rooster should be a 3rd down change of pace back, that catch he had on the wheel route is what he should be doing more of, we really miss Don and Citizen.

Advertisement
Next season? I thought they said He was going to be back this season?
I think the overall sentiment from the insiders is that he will come back this season but won't be 100% if he does. So to me, its just another built in excuse for him. "Well, he wasnt 100%. But wait until Spring when hes healthy! You just wait! The Don will come back with vengeance on everyone who doubted him!" (eyes rolling) . Love the Don but he needs to be a Don for us on that field and not in folklore.

I think the overall sentiment from the insiders is that he will come back this season but won't be 100% if he does. So to me, its just another built in excuse for him. "Well, he wasnt 100%. But wait until Spring when hes healthy! You just wait! The Don will come back with vengeance on everyone who doubted him!" (eyes rolling) . Love the Don but he needs to be a Don for us on that field and not in folklore.

Don Chaney = Cam Harris.

When they were on the field together, the results were very similar and Chaney never overtook him. Chaney has a higher ceiling than Cam, but with the injuries taking a toll.....I'm with you - I think the legend of Don has far exceeded what should be expected of him.

The timeline Mario gave was 6-8 weeks a couple weeks ago - so maybe he's good for the last 3-4 games of our season. At that point, given his history, unless you're absolutely confident he's 100% it might be better just to shut him down. Just gotta trust in the med staff to make that call.

Advertisement
When you have a scheme that doesn't know how to use its talent what do you expect? So many simple things we should be doing. Rooster can house it everytime he touches the ball so why not get him the ball in space? Its like Gattis didn't watch our tape from last year.

Now show us the fumbles between those three guys. I bet one has more than the other two. Knighton is explosive but it’s similar to Wiggins who also had great speed if you can’t hold onto the ball or catch in Wiggins case, then you won’t play.
Right. All things being equal you play the guys that don't put the football on the ground.

Right. All things being equal you play the guys that don't put the football on the ground.
Yep and idk if he played after that first quarter fumble against Middle Tennessee and I think he only played like 14 snaps against Unc. If Chaney and Citizen were healthy Knighton wouldn’t be seeing the field going forward in my opinion.

the fumbles are what they are but he is hands down the most explosive player on offense. i don’t even remember Knightons last carry prior to the fumble. it’s the most crucial play of the game and you give the ball to your RB who hasn’t had a carry in like 2 quarters. not an excuse.

Advertisement
Back