KJ Osborn Scouting Report

HighSeas

Sophomore

Osborn played mostly from the slot at Buffalo and mostly outside at Miami, but Buffalo likely had it right. His size, quickness and speed fail to stand out and he's not fully equipped to get away from tight man on the pro level. From the slot, his instincts in space and overall toughness could serve him well, but are still garden variety at best. However, Osborn has been a consistently productive punt returner for three seasons and is able to cover kicks and punts if asked. The special teams work gives him a shot if he can be functional as a backup receiver.

Definitely agree with all this.

Strengths
  • Shows up to work and does his job
  • Good recognition and communication as hot receiver
  • Alters and adjusts routes when reading zone
  • Finds and settles into underbelly of short zone
  • Works into safeties without showing fear of collisions
  • Fearless return man on both punts and kickoffs
  • Career average of over 12 yards per punt return, including 15.9 in 2019
  • Has coverage production in first two seasons at Buffalo
Weaknesses
  • Doesn't play with suddenness of feet to slip by press
  • Bump-and-run coverage will hound him
  • Lacks top speed and vertical push to threaten
  • One speed route runner
  • Doesn't use routes to set up defenders well enough
  • Below average separation burst
  • Start-stop routes get bogged down by delayed restart
  • Consistency of hands and catch radius is very average
Like I've said when posters have tried to compare Osborn to other receivers like Cager - Osborn did most of his damage against zone and really struggled to separate and win contested catches against press man.

When I say this stuff I get negged and my alerts are filled with blowhards laughing at me. Let's see how the board reacts when Lance Zierlein says the same things.

Advertisement
I thought testing would be important for him and he blew the process out of the water. Really impressive testing numbers.

His versatility...playing slot and outside, being used in motion, playing special teams as a return man and cover guy. Has real production, but that decline in marketshare being the WR1 for Miami last year is a bit concerning, but I want to think that was less on him, more on the system and our horrendous QBs. Still led the team in market for REC / Yards / TDs...but a significant dip from his WR2 season with Buffalo.

He's not a clean prospect, but I want to think he's a draftable, late round guy that is a tough cut with a chance to move up a roster over time. If he goes undrafted, same scenario. WR4/WR5 type for a team...he's got a good makeup, even if he's not a finished product.

He reminds me of Justin Jefferson, just not as good. Both guys are unknown two-stars who built themselves into tough and reliable prospects. One is a first rounder and the other is Day 3/UDFA for a reason, but they have similarities.

Justin Jefferson- 6'1, 202, 4.43, 37.5 inch VJ
KJ Osborn- 5'11, 203, 4.48, 37.5 inch VJ

Like I've said when posters have tried to compare Osborn to other receivers like Cager - Osborn did most of his damage against zone and really struggled to separate and win contested catches against press man.

When I say this stuff I get negged and my alerts are filled with blowhards laughing at me. Let's see how the board reacts when Lance Zierlein says the same things.

It's definitely true. PEnos was a bum, however we really didn't have the personnel to leave KJ in the slot, besides our TEs were doing better there than almost all of our slot guys.

Honestly I can't rememeber when we had a real outside threat l, and I'm sure that can be contributed to poor QB play and OL play as well.

In all honesty, I really don't see KJ doing big things across the NFL. He's probably going to be a guy that can thrive in specific systems, but he is not the type that can do well just anywhere.

Advertisement
When it's Miami player people really like, they have a hard time with realistic takes on their NFL potential.

Everyone wants KJ to get drafted and do well in the NFL.

Odds are much more in the "He was good college WR, who led Miami in receiving 1 year and had a cup of coffee in the NFL" outcome.

KJ is much more likely a Darnell Jenkins/Rashawn Scott/Tommy Streeter/Stacy Coley type than an Allen Hurns type.

Last edited:
It's definitely true. PEnos was a bum, however we really didn't have the personnel to leave KJ in the slot, besides our TEs were doing better there than almost all of our slot guys.

Honestly I can't rememeber when we had a real outside threat l, and I'm sure that can be contributed to poor QB play and OL play as well.

In all honesty, I really don't see KJ doing big things across the NFL. He's probably going to be a guy that can thrive in specific systems, but he is not the type that can do well just anywhere.

Ugh I'm with you. Hurns is noted as one of the toughest ever going across the middle so he gets my vote. But he wasn't a 3-level dominator. I guess Richards was a threat but he was inconsistent.

I watch these 2021 South Florida receivers and there are a handful of obvious studs. It's crazy to think how bad it got at Miami these past couple years.

When it's Miami player people really like, they have a hard time with realistic takes on their NFL potential.

Everyone wants KJ to get drafted and do well in the NFL.

Odds are much more in the "He was good college WR, who led Miami in receiving 1 year and had a cup of coffee in the NFL" is much more likely.

KJ is much more likely a Darnell Jenkins/Rashawn Scott/Tommy Streeter/Stacy Coley type than an Allen Hurns type.

I'm just hoping for an Adrian Colbert type outcome for the guy, but its possible he's those guys. He's more athletic and can do more around the football field than the latter group. He's definitely not Hurns, but thats a different discussion.

Tyree Jackson and Anthony Johnson - his Buffalo teammates, both a little more highly regarded, but probably not better prospects - went undrafted and aren't really NFL players. Johnson was the shocker of the group...he was being projected as a Day 1, Day 2 guy for most of the process.

Didn't he run a good 40 at the combine ?

Advertisement
I'm just hoping for an Adrian Colbert type outcome for the guy, but its possible he's those guys. He's more athletic and can do more around the football field than the latter group. He's definitely not Hurns, but thats a different discussion.

Tyree Jackson and Anthony Johnson - his Buffalo teammates, both a little more highly regarded, but probably not better prospects - went undrafted and aren't really NFL players. Johnson was the shocker of the group...he was being projected as a Day 1, Day 2 guy for most of the process.

I agree. KJ's athletic testing was really good and surprising to me. Colbert has bounced around but gotten a good amount of playing time, and definitely done more than expected. That would be a good outcome for KJ. He's worth taking a shot in the late rounds.

With KJ - regardless of the offense, QB play, how he was used, etc - I just feel like he should've put up better numbers than he did this year if he's really an NFL talent. That's the red flag for me.

Poor mans Devante Adams.

KJ should make it on a team as a WR 4, with room to grow

Advertisement
Back