Kirby Smart

Why would Smart go to the NFL? With Saban out, who’s the threat to Smart? He’s gonna be in every playoffs and have a chance to win the NC every year…
Well, that being true, the portal and NIL are somewhat a threat to coaches that got a nice long taste of outspending with bags, cars and jobs before NIL and the revolving portal.

Advertisement
Well, that being true, the portal and NIL are somewhat a threat to coaches that got a nice long taste of outspending with bags, cars and jobs before NIL and the revolving portal.
The state of the portal definitely changed the game for the coaches but IMO there’s some program that don’t get hit as much. Bama with Saban was one of them because they could almost pick who they want to replace the outgoers. UGA is one of them too, they are a well oiled machine who will run pretty smoothly as long as Kirby is there.

Going to the NFL, you’re mostly taking over horrible teams and you can’t just outspend everybody to fill the roster. That must be a pain in the *** for these coaches too.

The state of the portal definitely changed the game for the coaches but IMO there’s some program that don’t get hit as much. Bama with Saban was one of them because they could almost pick who they want to replace the outgoers. UGA is one of them too, they are a well oiled machine who will run pretty smoothly as long as Kirby is there.

Going to the NFL, you’re mostly taking over horrible teams and you can’t just outspend everybody to fill the roster. That must be a pain in the *** for these coaches too.
They could afford anyone for sure, and I like DeBoer. In this day and age, the “well oiled machine” that Alabama and UGA, etc have created will be hard to derail for sure…still, tough to follow a legend.

My point was simply that certain coaches (not just focused on Saban who simply was a great coach) did not want to have to deal with a more even playing field with 12 team playoffs, NIL and portal.

I’m old school too when I played and how I feel about college football, but also aware that if I wanted my Canes in any conversation post Shalala, we needed the NCAA out of the way with the favoritism of state school Goliaths with mongolith fan bases and boosters ended.

That was my only point. Saban is “older”, but he didn’t want to REALLY have to compete year in and year out with teams that could not used to “recruit” and coach as well…just my opinion tho

Kind of the ole Wolf of Wallstreet mentality…I know to how to spend your money and handle 5 star recruits better than you…

They could afford anyone for sure, and I like DeBoer. In this day and age, the “well oiled machine” that Alabama and UGA, etc have created will be hard to derail for sure…still, tough to follow a legend.

My point was simply that certain coaches (not just focused on Saban who simply was a great coach) did not want to have to deal with a more even playing field with 12 team playoffs, NIL and portal.

I’m old school too when I played and how I feel about college football, but also aware that if I wanted my Canes in any conversation post Shalala, we needed the NCAA out of the way with the favoritism of state school Goliaths with mongolith fan bases and boosters ended.

That was my only point. Saban is “older”, but he didn’t want to REALLY have to compete year in and year out with teams that could not used to “recruit” and coach as well…just my opinion tho

Kind of the ole Wolf of Wallstreet mentality…I know to how to spend your money and handle 5 star recruits better than you…
For sure, I’m pretty sure the portal pushed Saban to retire sooner than he would’ve in the old college football world.

Advertisement
With the coaching carousel ramping up, Kirby Smart to the Falcons is likely happening this month. Numbers and logistics have already been discussed.
Little Boy Reaction GIF by Children's Miracle Network Hospitals

Bill Belichick Binoculars GIF by Barstool Sports

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back