Kirby Smart

Agree 1000000%. in the past, being a college coach was miles more enjoyable than the pressures of being an NFL coach, but now it’s just the opposite. Imagine if Tua with the Dolphins could simply walk in the coaches office and tell the coach that he’d decided to transfer, that the Braves were going to pay him more, and there was nothing the Dolphins could do about it. A college player is free to do that. It has to be frustrating as **** for a college coach these days, not only trying to “build a team”, but to know any or all of your players can leave tomorrow and nothing you can do about it. The college game is horribly broken. Paying Arch Manning $2.3 Mil last year to sit on the bench, and still have to worry if he might transfer. Give me a break. College football is absolutely a total mess.
Actually, Tua could do that tomorrow. He'd retire from the Dolphins NFL team and sign on with the Braves MLB. He could even do both at the same time like Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders.

Advertisement
True. But we have porsters who think that every NIL decision and every job decision is dictated by "whoever will pay me $1 more".

I took a lower salary offer to work in Atlanta, rather than Nevada. And Nevada doesn't even have state income tax.
In 2023, I turned down at least 3 offers that would have netted me $15,000 more per year because those positions would require far more in-person appearances, 10k extra miles, and are probably 2x-3x as difficult overall, for no greater career advancement.

A little more money for a far worse job makes no sense.

Agree 1000000%. in the past, being a college coach was miles more enjoyable than the pressures of being an NFL coach, but now it’s just the opposite. Imagine if Tua with the Dolphins could simply walk in the coaches office and tell the coach that he’d decided to transfer, that the Braves were going to pay him more, and there was nothing the Dolphins could do about it. A college player is free to do that. It has to be frustrating as **** for a college coach these days, not only trying to “build a team”, but to know any or all of your players can leave tomorrow and nothing you can do about it. The college game is horribly broken. Paying Arch Manning $2.3 Mil last year to sit on the bench, and still have to worry if he might transfer. Give me a break. College football is absolutely a total mess.

It's getting to be very stupid. I'd imagine most feel the same way.

I appreciated the tradition and culture of college sports. The ways in which CFB contrasted with the NFL was very appealing to me. I believe some coaches share those sentiments. Too bad that is the past.

Let's see what becomes of CFB. Hopefully it doesn't turn everyone off.

Advertisement
In 2023, I turned down at least 3 offers that would have netted me $15,000 more per year because those positions would require far more in-person appearances, 10k extra miles, and are probably 2x-3x as difficult overall, for no greater career advancement.

A little more money for a far worse job makes no sense.

I feel this way about becoming a principal. The difference in salary, for the increased workload, isn't enough for me to take that leap.

I much rather make a little less, because the peace of mind is worth it.

With the coaching carousel ramping up, Kirby Smart to the Falcons is likely happening this month. Numbers and logistics have already been discussed.
As a falcons fan. I seriously doubt it. Give me one good reason why Kirby would leave UGA for the **** falcons lol. Ppl in ATL trying to speak it into existence.

Advertisement

I See You Smh GIF by Miami HEAT

It's getting to be very stupid. I'd imagine most feel the same way.

I appreciated the tradition and culture of college sports. The ways in which CFB contrasted with the NFL was very appealing to me. I believe some coaches share those sentiments. Too bad that is the past.

Let's see what becomes of CFB. Hopefully it doesn't turn everyone off.
And while we are at it, let's ruin CF by trying to make it mirror the NFL as much as possible in the less appealing ways.

Advertisement
How many fired coaches came right back to college like nothing happened?

I think saavy college coaches that jump to the NFL know when things are going south and they go back to college before they get fired (Spurrier, Saban). Dennis Erickson got fired, then went back to college and led Oregon State to some of its best seasons ever. In fact he did well enough that he got another NFL HC job. Butch took a couple years off and then got a nice HC gig at UNC.

And I guarantee that if Meyer or Pete Carroll wanted to come back to coaching, they'd get any job in the country. If Smart takes the Falcons job (note - I don't think he is actually interested ) and things don't go well, and he decides to go back to the college ranks, I would bet any amount of money that he'd find a terrific HC job somewhere. Maybe UGA has a coach already, but he'd know that if that HC struggled, the UGA boosters would buy him out in a second.

Last edited:
Just when we thought Kirby was fixin to chill for a minute, this jerk goes and hires T-Rob from Bama. Ain’t gonna lie, when I heard Saban was retiring I immediately thought of the dream swap of T-Rob for Addae, but Kirby put a stop to that real quick.

Advertisement
As a falcons fan. I seriously doubt it. Give me one good reason why Kirby would leave UGA for the **** falcons lol. Ppl in ATL trying to speak it into existence.
Yeah, Kirby & the Mrs want to relocate from Athens to Atlanta, lol
Not to mention Arthur Blank isn’t about ****ing off Dawg fans.

Advertisement
Back