Kirby Smart

Advertisement
Worst case Kirby he flops in the NFL, and UGA would give him a blank check to return.

Hmmmm that’s actually not the worst case. UGA built a well-oiled machine, pretty sure if Smart jumps, they ain’t gonna skip a beat with a guy like Schumann. That job might not be open for Smart to return. How many fired coaches came right back to college like nothing happened? Harbaugh and Kiffin? (I don’t count Rhule being stuck in Nebraska as a successful return 😂)

Smart is risking never coaching at his dream job ever again.

Why wouldnt he?

Butch, Carroll JJ, Saban Kiffin Harbaugh all tried it
Once you have climbed the mountain in college it’s natural to try NFL coaching

I’m not saying it’s a better job because I don’t think it is….but these dudes all have egos and think they are the smartest guy in the room!

Carroll is an NFL coach who used USC to resurrect his career, he was always going back to the NFL. JJ was too long ago and there will never be another JJ.
Saban/Harbaugh/Kiffin didn’t keep a DC job for 8 years waiting for their Alma mater job to open tho.

Not all coaches wants to go to the NFL, I don’t know where Smart stands but he would be dumb as heck to go to a team like the Falcons. If he wants to go to the NFL, he should look at the Chargers IMO

Hmmmm that’s actually not the worst case. UGA built a well-oiled machine, pretty sure if Smart jumps, they ain’t gonna skip a beat with a guy like Schumann. That job might not be open for Smart to return. How many fired coaches came right back to college like nothing happened? Harbaugh and Kiffin? (I don’t count Rhule being stuck in Nebraska as a successful return 😂)

Carroll is an NFL coach who used USC to resurrect his career, he was always going back to the NFL. JJ was too long ago and there will never be another JJ.
Saban/Harbaugh/Kiffin didn’t keep a DC job for 8 years waiting for their Alma mater job to open tho.

Not all coaches wants to go to the NFL, I don’t know where Smart stands but he would be dumb as heck to go to a team like the Falcons. If he wants to go to the NFL, he should look at the Chargers IMO
I don’t disagree….think college game is set up for prolonged success. Smart would be smart to stay! But, like I said, he wouldn’t be first big time coach to try his hand at NFL, most do even going back to John McKay from USC…..there are only a few schembechler Tom Osborn types…..**** even Switzer went to cowboys for a couple of years 😂

Advertisement
I don’t disagree….think college game is set up for prolonged success. Smart would be smart to stay! But, like I said, he wouldn’t be first big time coach to try his hand at NFL, most do even going back to John McKay from USC…..there are only a few schembechler Tom Osborn types…..**** even Switzer went to cowboys for a couple of years 😂

I wouldn’t be surprised either way (I wouldn’t mind Smart/Saban/Harbaugh going out in the same year) but If Matt Rhule got an opportunity in the NFL, imagine the numbers of coaches who got one and stayed in college instead. 😂 We just can’t know who said no to the NFL.

The Chargers job is one of the more interesting openings in the NFL since they have a franchise quarterback, Justin Herbert. A negative aspect of the job is the team are second to the Rams in their own stadium. Sharing a room with an older sibling, sort of.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Harbaugh took the job if he’s open to returning to the league and was offered. His college coaching career was in California until he returned home to Michigan. San Diego, Stanford. And then, of course, coaching in the NFL in San Francisco.

Not all coaches want the NFL, but college football’s radical changes the past few years make the job unsustainable. The college game needs a major restructuring of some kind. Sure there’s billions of dollars being made but I just don’t think the way it works, works. Year-round high school recruiting, the transfer portal forcing you to annually re-recruit your own players. Competitive balance is not equal, unlike the NFL.

The next several years of the college game are going to be very, very interesting.

Last edited:
If Smart leaves he'll forever be the legend who could have been better than Saban. He's rich and he'll stay rich in the NFL. He can coach his heart out without having to suck a bunch of 18 year old ****s 24/7.

He should go.

Advertisement
SmartSelect_20240111_013502_Instagram.jpg

Was coaching involved in this?

I think a lot of people are underestimating how much of a pain NIL plus the portal is for coaches. You can make more in the NFL, arguably work a little less, deal with professionals instead of 85 kids, and not have to rerecruit your entire roster every offseason. I have no idea if this smoke is legit, but you have to be nuts to not entertain it given where college football is at these days.

Absolutely. NIL is going to have a lot of ongoing ripples, and one of them involves "coaches who have succeeded in college football until now" getting tired of dealing with the changes in the system. Guys like Saban and Dabo don't really seem comfortable with where NIL is taking them. And while Kirby seems to have thrived, he might just want to move on to the slightly-less-hypocritical-about-money NFL. And Harbaugh has plenty of "other" reasons to get out.

College football is a mess. An absolute mess. I can see Kirby leaving for the league. He wouldn't have to deal with the portal, NIL, recruiting, and the rest of the fiasco that CFB has become.

The man has absolutely nothing to prove in college. Hopefully he goes, and UGA reverts back to being nobodies.

College football is a mess. An absolute mess. I can see Kirby leaving for the league. He wouldn't have to deal with the portal, NIL, recruiting, and the rest of the fiasco that CFB has become.

The man has absolutely nothing to prove in college. Hopefully he goes, and UGA reverts back to being nobodies.
Agree 1000000%. in the past, being a college coach was miles more enjoyable than the pressures of being an NFL coach, but now it’s just the opposite. Imagine if Tua with the Dolphins could simply walk in the coaches office and tell the coach that he’d decided to transfer, that the Braves were going to pay him more, and there was nothing the Dolphins could do about it. A college player is free to do that. It has to be frustrating as **** for a college coach these days, not only trying to “build a team”, but to know any or all of your players can leave tomorrow and nothing you can do about it. The college game is horribly broken. Paying Arch Manning $2.3 Mil last year to sit on the bench, and still have to worry if he might transfer. Give me a break. College football is absolutely a total mess.

Advertisement
Agree 1000000%. in the past, being a college coach was miles more enjoyable than the pressures of being an NFL coach, but now it’s just the opposite. Imagine if Tua with the Dolphins could simply walk in the coaches office and tell the coach that he’d decided to transfer, that the Braves were going to pay him more, and there was nothing the Dolphins could do about it. A college player is free to do that. It has to be frustrating as **** for a college coach these days, not only trying to “build a team”, but to know any or all of your players can leave tomorrow and nothing you can do about it. The college game is horribly broken. Paying Arch Manning $2.3 Mil last year to sit on the bench, and still have to worry if he might transfer. Give me a break. College football is absolutely a total mess.
I have a feeling future NIL contracts will have penalties for kids who want to transfer before three years in the program, or at least two years. It's too chaotic. Every professional program would have the same issue if the players weren't contractually obligated to stay, so they need to use the same language in the contracts with the college players.

Agree with everything except that no one is gonna pay him more than he makes at UGA.
I honestly have no idea what an NFL coach makes at this point. You are probably right, which is sad and shocking. But I would almost consider a pay cut to not deal with the current college football landscape. I

Advertisement
I honestly have no idea what an NFL coach makes at this point. You are probably right, which is sad and shocking. But I would almost consider a pay cut to not deal with the current college football landscape. I
There are NFL coaches who make more, but Kirby is at 10.5. Andy Reid is at 12. I can't see anyone paying Kirby more than what he makes now.

Ok

I will believe when the press conference happens. Georgia football is bigger than the falcons in Atlanta and probably can pay as much

plus they alienate a lot of their own fan base with this hire

if he has an nfl itch better jobs open

Grew up in the Atlanta area and while many of the falcons fans are also UGA fans, they'd give their left nut for a falcons super bowl if it meant Kirby leaving UGA.

There are NFL coaches who make more, but Kirby is at 10.5. Andy Reid is at 12. I can't see anyone paying Kirby more than what he makes now.

True. But we have porsters who think that every NIL decision and every job decision is dictated by "whoever will pay me $1 more".

I took a lower salary offer to work in Atlanta, rather than Nevada. And Nevada doesn't even have state income tax.

Advertisement
Back