Kirby Smart

Advertisement
That would not be a smart hire
@Odysseus
Car Chase Police GIF by MotorTrend

@TheOriginalCane Thanks being on the looking out.

Advertisement
There’s more bull **** in college football than the NFL. I can see plenty of coaches leaving for the league. Kirby has been pretty blessed with being part of winning power house teams.
Dabo a Bama former player built Clemson from a poor down spiraling program.

Advertisement
Why would Smart go to the NFL? With Saban out, who’s the threat to Smart? He’s gonna be in every playoffs and have a chance to win the NC every year…
Why wouldnt he?

Butch, Carroll JJ, Saban Kiffin Harbaugh all tried it
Once you have climbed the mountain in college it’s natural to try NFL coaching

I’m not saying it’s a better job because I don’t think it is….but these dudes all have egos and think they are the smartest guy in the room!

I see what you mean but at the same time, Smart followed Saban for over 10 years waiting for his Alma mater HC job to get open, it’s not like he changed job trying to move up the ladder.
Same as a Brent Venables who patiently waited at Clemson until the OU job opened his way.

The Falcons might be the NFL job to make him jump but looking at his career, he seems to be pretty happy coaching at the college level.

Whats the downside to leaving for the NFL now? He'll get paid a zillion dollars to go to the NFL, where he doesn't have to recruit anymore, and maybe he's successful. If he wins one Super Bowl as a HC, a lot of people will say it shows he is a better coach than Saban. Personally I would say that as well - any coach that can win a championship at the college level and the professional level rank higher in my book than coaches who only won championships in college. Saban himself said the thing he liked about college football is he could recruit a dozen future first round picks and have a massive talent edge over anyone else, but in the NFL, you only get first rounder per year. It's a much higher level of difficulty.

Saban won all his championships when he had bag men doing his dirty work and could threaten to pull kids scholarships, but when he went to the NFL, players literally wanted to kill him for his Napoleon complex.

Worst case Kirby he flops in the NFL, and UGA would give him a blank check to return.

Ok

I will believe when the press conference happens. Georgia football is bigger than the falcons in Atlanta and probably can pay as much

plus they alienate a lot of their own fan base with this hire

if he has an nfl itch better jobs open
This! And it ain’t even close….. even when uga was losing.

Advertisement
I think a lot of people are underestimating how much of a pain NIL plus the portal is for coaches. You can make more in the NFL, arguably work a little less, deal with professionals instead of 85 kids, and not have to rerecruit your entire roster every offseason. I have no idea if this smoke is legit, but you have to be nuts to not entertain it given where college football is at these days.

Why would Smart go to the NFL? With Saban out, who’s the threat to Smart? He’s gonna be in every playoffs and have a chance to win the NC every year…
Don’t confuse couple of the things there are plenty of big college coaches who would possibly look to the NFL now because college has become ridiculous. They have to do the general manager job and the coaching job and there’s no off-season whatsoever with the way that the portal and NL deals are going. It’s harder to manage than being a GM. But if he wants to be an NFL coach, better jobs open right this minute than Atlanta where that team is the second fiddle team to the team that he currently coaches.

Advertisement
I think a lot of people are underestimating how much of a pain NIL plus the portal is for coaches. You can make more in the NFL, arguably work a little less, deal with professionals instead of 85 kids, and not have to rerecruit your entire roster every offseason. I have no idea if this smoke is legit, but you have to be nuts to not entertain it given where college football is at these days.
Agree with everything except that no one is gonna pay him more than he makes at UGA.

Smart (and every other coach) now has to deal with the transfer portal, annually re-recruiting his own players while poaching others. He’s already won one back-to-back national championships.

Why not give the NFL a try? No recruiting other than free agency, and a more reasonable business calendar.

His problem will be the same as Saban and every other HC in the NFL. You can’t stack rosters like in college. You’re fortunate if you can find the right quarterback and supporting core talent on offense and defense to win enough games to make the playoffs consistently. Salary cap constraints make it difficult to keep some of that core talent or replace if necessary. Teams are lucky if they can get on a four or five year run, and many organizations seem to never figure it out.

He actually has to coach. He can’t out talent everyone except two or three games a year.

In this year’s NFL only four teams won more than 70% of their games. That would be 8.5 wins in a 12-game college football season. Next year Georgia already has 9 games pre-won, more or less. UGA’s tough games next year are at Alabama, at Texas, and maybe Clemson and at Mississippi.

Advertisement
Back