King readies for Miami debut on Thursday

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
On Thursday night, QB D’Eriq King will step onto the field to make his Miami Hurricanes’ debut against the UAB Blazers in UM’s 2020 season opener, and the gunslinger spoke about his thoughts heading into a matchup and a season that was in doubt at multiple points this offseason.

“It’s a great feeling,” King said. “We get the opportunity to go play the game Thursday night. Playing for the University of Miami - a lot of great players put the uniform on, helmet on. It’s just an honor.”

The NCAA recently announced a rule change that players can receive another year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 pandemic even if they play this upcoming season, but King said he has not made any decisions on his status for the 2021 season.

“I haven’t thought about it too much,” King said. “There’s a lot of factors that would go into coming back or leaving. We have to see how things play out. With the coronavirus pandemic, things change daily, so I have no idea right now.”

As for the offense, King seems to have adjusted well to the system considering he threw 6 TD passes in Miami’s final scrimmage last Friday.

“We have a lot of great players,” King said. “We’ll get those guys the ball, see what they can do… There are still some things (to work on). We did really, really well. It was encouraging. We had an all-around good game.”

In regards to preventing an outbreak among the team that might put the season in jeopardy, King feels the players are taking the proper precautions; the team underwent testing today ahead of the tilt vs. UAB.

“Guys are doing the right things,” King said. “Everybody should be fine, it is what it is. It’s rare to catch it in a day or couple of hours (with testing before the game).”

King also mentioned who he thought the two fastest players on the team were: freshman RB Jaylan Knighton and senior WR Mike Harley.

Advertisement
Unleash the rooster.

5A592E49-0EB9-4BFE-BDF5-3929CB7E0D25.jpeg

On Thursday night, QB D’Eriq King will step onto the field to make his Miami Hurricanes’ debut against the UAB Blazers in UM’s 2020 season opener, and the gunslinger spoke about his thoughts heading into a matchup and a season that was in doubt at multiple points this offseason.

“It’s a great feeling,” King said. “We get the opportunity to go play the game Thursday night. Playing for the University of Miami - a lot of great players put the uniform on, helmet on. It’s just an honor.”

The NCAA recently announced a rule change that players can receive another year of eligibility due to the COVID-19 pandemic even if they play this upcoming season, but King said he has not made any decisions on his status for the 2021 season.

“I haven’t thought about it too much,” King said. “There’s a lot of factors that would go into coming back or leaving. We have to see how things play out. With the coronavirus pandemic, things change daily, so I have no idea right now.”

As for the offense, King seems to have adjusted well to the system considering he threw 6 TD passes in Miami’s final scrimmage last Friday.

“We have a lot of great players,” King said. “We’ll get those guys the ball, see what they can do… There are still some things (to work on). We did really, really well. It was encouraging. We had an all-around good game.”

In regards to preventing an outbreak among the team that might put the season in jeopardy, King feels the players are taking the proper precautions; the team underwent testing today ahead of the tilt vs. UAB.

“Guys are doing the right things,” King said. “Everybody should be fine, it is what it is. It’s rare to catch it in a day or couple of hours (with testing before the game).”

King also mentioned who he thought the two fastest players on the team were: freshman RB Jaylan Knighton and senior WR Mike Harley.
Good stuff! Thank you for the write up and keeping us updated Stefan! I appreciate it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
this quote here from King: “We get the opportunity to go play the game Thursday night. Playing for the University of Miami - a lot of great players put the uniform on, helmet on. It’s just an honor.”

That brings tears to my slanted eyes..

Now, King has to be the only QB in the country that has a reception for a TD, a rushing TD (from other than QB) and a KO return for a TD to his credit. This is a real athlete. But forget all that, he's a QB. His actual arm talent is really good. I cant wait to see him in orange and green, leading the Lashlee Express

Last edited:
this quote here from King: “We get the opportunity to go play the game Thursday night. Playing for the University of Miami - a lot of great players put the uniform on, helmet on. It’s just an honor.”

Now, King has to be the only QB in the country that has a QB reception, a rushing TD (from other than QB) and a KO return for a TD to his credit. This is a real athlete. But forget all that, he's a QB. His actual arm talent is really good. I cant wait to see him in orange and green, leading the Lashlee Express
What excites me is his decision making. That's going to be a thing of beauty to watch this year.

Advertisement
Unless Harley gained some speed i dont recall him being a real burner...

This team needs more speed plain and simple
You had to look close - and concentrate to see it - but when he'd get into the end zone?

It took almost two seconds for his name on the back of his jersey to catch up.

And if you got a close look at his helmet - by the end of the game - the paint job on his helmet slid back about three inches.

Now, King has to be the only QB in the country that has a QB reception, a rushing TD (from other than QB) and a KO return for a TD to his credit. This is a real athlete. But forget all that, he's a QB. His actual arm talent is really good. I cant wait to see him in orange and green, leading the Lashlee Express
You can probably solve that slant eye problem if you use visine after the bong hit... Or quit getting high altogether. But to each their own vice. No judgment here at all go canes

Advertisement
You'll be surprised how fast players look in the right system. Our problem, for years, has been the inability to get our players the ball in space to showcase their speed.

You beat me to it, ThomasM. Was about to say the exact same thing. If Lashlee's offense perfects the timing of routes with precision throws, our skill guys will be unstoppable.

You beat me to it, ThomasM. Was about to say the exact same thing. If Lashlee's offense perfects the timing of routes with precision throws, our skill guys will be unstoppable.
Even Marshall Few will look fast. It makes ALL the difference.

Advertisement
Back