King, Lashlee, and 3rd Downs

Penos gets a lot of (deserved) hate for his terrible offense but he may have been an even worse play caller. Everything was clunky with no rhythm. He’d call a first down run and if the play only gained a yard or two, he immediately went to a deep/intermediate pass on second down. Instead of calling another run or maybe a short pass to try to set up a third and short, it was like he was playing Canadian football where you have to punt on third down. Also, I could not believe the number of third and long play action passes he called. Nobody is biting the run fake on third and nine! I mean every 14 year old kid playing video game football knows this.

I know there’s a lot of doubters out there and I don’t blame you but I am a firm believer that Lashlee+King is going to be explosive here. Running a garbage pro style offense at Miami is the exact same thing as trying to run an odd front, two gap defense at Miami. Yeah, maybe if you happen to get lucky, you can find the players to make it work but you’re basically going 100% against the grain when it comes to the players you can recruit here and the high school systems they play in. Why try to be big, slow, power football when FAST is everywhere and everything here?

Advertisement
When was the last time we were respectable on 3rd down efficiency?

17th in 2009
53rd in 2010
36th in 2011
62nd in 2012

104th in 2013
81st in 2014
96th in 2015
106th in 2016
127th in 2017
59th in 2018
DFL in 2019

So 2018 was I guess respectable? Not really, but at least in the top half of the country. But that was sandwiched between 6 seasons in the bottom third of the whole country, including FOUR YEARS 104th or worse. Again, I just can't understand this. This doesn't even make sense to me. That's multiple rosters, head coaches, coordinators....and year after year we might as well just punt on 3rd down.

So King admits that he's 5'9 lol

It's going to look weird watching a Miami QB of that stature.

Advertisement
We definitely don't need stats to tell us that, just watching that clueless moron OC last year was actually comical at times:

ROFL

Manny either A- should've been a politician like dad and is great at lying and saying the right things fans wanted to hear or B- didn't actually interview Enos re philosophy, scheme etc.

You can't be this wrong about someone and what they're going to do unless you're either lying and complicit or ignorant.

OBM why though? Is it the QB mainly or the system calls made on 3rd down?

I genuinely don't know. It's why I keep saying the same thing in this thread. This just doesn't compute with me, I have a mental block to even be able to try to digest this. It just doesn't make sense. Brad Kaaya wasn't a terrible QB, and we were in the 80s or worse every year he was here. Obviously the coordinators have left a lot to be desired, but Coley had UGA at 50th in the country last year. Enos 3 years at Arkansas were 61, 63, and 12.

I genuinely cannot make this make sense in my brain.

Manny either A- should've been a politician like dad and is great at lying and saying the right things fans wanted to hear or B- didn't actually interview Enos re philosophy, scheme etc.

You can't be this wrong about someone and what they're going to do unless you're either lying and complicit or ignorant.
I think he interviewed him and honestly thought to himself "What Could Possibly Go Wrong With A Guy that Saban Wants?"....and completely got off track from what he knew in his gut would bring Wins to Miami, which is was implementing an Offense that's designed to ATTACK attack attack, AKA Spread Offense.

And you can tell that's what it was because Enos was relieved of his duties as OC the moment the season ended.....I don't think the team had landed back in Miami yet.......CMD got it right the 2nd time, he went with his gut....and think it'll pay off, big time

Advertisement
I think he interviewed him and honestly thought to himself "What Could Possibly Go Wrong With A Guy that Saban Wants?"....and completely got off track from what he knew in his gut would bring Wins to Miami, which is was implementing an Offense that's designed to ATTACK attack attack, AKA Spread Offense.

And you can tell that's what it was because Enos was relieved of his duties as OC the moment the season ended.....I don't think the team had landed back in Miami yet.......CMD got it right the 2nd time, he went with his gut....and think it'll pay off, big time
But a real interview with coordinator, especially an OC, should include his playbook, install schedule, cutups (if he has access). I mean ****, Manny's a DC (basically the DC still now) you can't ask what a guy will do on 3rd and long? 2nd and 2? etc? "how do you beat X look?"

It's really difficult to put into words how much it sucks to watch this brand of football. We have watched more 3 and outs in the last two years than I feel like I watched during the 90s. We weren't just bad the last couple years. We took our sweet time, too.

And to think about how the defense could've actually played had they not been on the field the whole **** game. Being able to sustain drives helps every facet of the game.

I genuinely don't know. It's why I keep saying the same thing in this thread. This just doesn't compute with me, I have a mental block to even be able to try to digest this. It just doesn't make sense. Brad Kaaya wasn't a terrible QB, and we were in the 80s or worse every year he was here. Obviously the coordinators have left a lot to be desired, but Coley had UGA at 50th in the country last year. Enos 3 years at Arkansas were 61, 63, and 12.

I genuinely cannot make this make sense in my brain.
One weird thing about it is our Head Coach is a defensive coordinator. Our offense should at least influenced by the insight of knowing what a defense absolutely hates. Especially Diaz, who initially struggled with 3rd down stop % and actually fixed it. That'd imply he at least understands the mechanics at more than a superficial level. To be clear, I'm sure he does, but the results are insane.

Because the reality of playing defense in a way to stop 3rd down conversion % is that it's more than 1 thing, obviously. It starts with down and distance on the early downs. If your defense allows 3-5 yards on every 1st down, you're already behind and the offense is on or ahead of schedule. If the defense can force more 3rd and 7+, the probabilities of a stop go way up. Then you have aspects like QB containment, speeding up QB decisions to narrow the field, and decrease QB accuracy.

So when looking at this from the other side:
- Part of it is quite clearly playcalling strategy on early downs (we have sucked there).
- Part of it is calling plays quickly to not allow full prep and personnel adjustments by defense (we have generally been horrendous with this).
- Then you have predictability (don't get started on this).
- Then you have play design on 3rd and short vs medium vs long (it's not always been bad, but our route combinations have, at times, been wtf) - Then you have the player variables (we have made some very weird personnel decisions - think about how poorly we use certain 5' 10" WRs on fade routes).
- The biggest one is obviously a QB who can extend plays (variable for us).
- Then another variable is if the QB can run for 3rd down conversions (we should have been better here).
- Add in whether a QB is accurate (ha, all over the place).
- Add in whether you have conversion WRs (guys who can beat man coverage in tight spaces - something we have failed in for multiple design and personnel decision reasons).
- Then you have the second biggest one... the OL, who, unless they're completely hidden by down/distance and playcall, are generally in trouble on 3rd down and medium+ (we know this one).

So, yeah. It's a ton of stuff. If you break it up, we're not really good at any of it, so it makes more sense. But, to your consistent and solid point: EVERY offense faces this. To be in the bottom 5% of all of college football is something special.

Advertisement

I heard an interview with Manny either during the OC hiring process or right after Enos got hired and he was talking about “the great Miami teams had a power rushing attack” (not really) and how he struggled as a DC stopping teams like Wisconsin. And how he wanted an offense like that since he had such a hard time against it. I think he knew what he was getting with Enos. Like a lot of defense coaches, he wanted an offense that not only scored but could control the clock. It makes your defense’s job a lot easier if they’re not on the field much. But it’s an outdated philosophy and one not suited to the players Miami recruits best. I think after seeing how a defensive guy like Ed Orgeron was willing to sacrifice his defensive statistics for the sake of winning with a fast offense, he had a change of heart. Yeah, you may give up more points but who cares if you’re scoring a ton more.

I heard an interview with Manny either during the OC hiring process or right after Enos got hired and he was talking about “the great Miami teams had a power rushing attack” (not really) and how he struggled as a DC stopping teams like Wisconsin. And how he wanted an offense like that since he had such a hard time against it. I think he knew what he was getting with Enos. Like a lot of defense coaches, he wanted an offense that not only scored but could control the clock. It makes your defense’s job a lot easier if they’re not on the field much. But it’s an outdated philosophy and one not suited to the players Miami recruits best. I think after seeing how a defensive guy like Ed Orgeron was willing to sacrifice his defensive statistics for the sake of winning with a fast offense, he had a change of heart. Yeah, you may give up more points but who cares if you’re scoring a ton more.
That makes his decision sound a lot like how Patrick Nix got hired. If it's even close to the case, stomach turning reasoning.

One of the aspects of D'Eriq King's game that I think has been overlooked a bit or at least I personally haven't heard much about is his efficiency on 3rd downs. We've all talked ad nauseam about Miami's struggles on third downs in recent years and how much that's held back the offense: Just last year under Enos, UM finished second to last in the nation (129th/130) on third downs at a paltry 27.2% conversion rate. UM was also 125th/130 in 2018 at 28.8% under Richt.

What the fack?

Advertisement

It had more to do with coach diaz being completely ignorant, he knew nothing about enos already, just got amped up just because that **** was on Bama's staff and got way to much credit for their qb's completion %'s going way up, with Bama's offensive talent to go along with enos already's dink and don't philosophy, that **** got blown way out of proportion. I knew enos already was a clown and just trying to escape Bama, cause had he become the OC at Bama and run the **** show he ran here, that would've been career suicide for him and his dreams of becoming an OC or headcoach again.

That's why I kept saying, coach diaz needs to STFU alot of times, doesn't learn his lesson. Always putting the cart before the horse, but if he wants to keep looking like an imbecile, just keep trying to proclaim things prior, trying to sound and look smart when he himself is clueless on several fronts. I'm just looking to see if he's going to grow into the job. Right now, I'm not seeing it, his OC hire was a complete failure, his DC hire needs to have his hand held most of the season, and now in comes rhett, no matter what kind of OC lashlee is, the headcoach still needs to give that OC the vision of what he wants the offense to look like and what he wants from it, when coach diaz said "cutting edge" in reference to the offense, I knew than he didn't know WTF he was doing.

Now in comes rhett, who basically is here to try and take some heat off and extend Manny's job, cause if Rhett's offense happens look inept as well, coach diaz doesn't have the bandwidth to get rid of him, so stay tuned!

I know there’s a lot of doubters out there and I don’t blame you but I am a firm believer that Lashlee+King is going to be explosive here.

I hope so. This is the last thing we haven't changed over the years.

If it doesn't work, then it's back to the drawing board with new coaches/full rebuild again. I don't know how much more I can take.

I hope so. This is the last thing we haven't changed over the years.

If it doesn't work, then it's back to the drawing board with new coaches/full rebuild again. I don't know how much more I can take.
It's in the best interests of the entire program that the Lashlee hire pays off because every new coaching regime just sets the program back a few more years.

Advertisement
Back