King, Lashlee, and 3rd Downs

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
One of the aspects of D'Eriq King's game that I think has been overlooked a bit or at least I personally haven't heard much about is his efficiency on 3rd downs. We've all talked ad nauseam about Miami's struggles on third downs in recent years and how much that's held back the offense: Just last year under Enos, UM finished second to last in the nation (129th/130) on third downs at a paltry 27.2% conversion rate. UM was also 125th/130 in 2018 at 28.8% under Richt.

Compare that to King's last full season in 2018, when Houston was 14th in the country and first in the AAC on 3rd down conversions (45.5%) and King led the AAC in QB grade on the money downs according to PFF.

Also for reference, Rhett Lashlee's offense at SMU last season was 30th in the country on third downs at 43.9%. Suffice to say, 3rd down conversions is an area of the game where King could have a transformative impact at Miami under Lashlee; even a slight bump up in these numbers to the "middle of the pack" range would have huge benefits from what we saw on offense last year in terms of sustaining drives, keeping the UM defense off the field, and ultimately finishing in the endzone.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If you look at only FBS vs FBS competition, Miami was actually dead last in the country on 3rd down (130 out of 130) at 26.14%.

Even more awesome, that was the 2nd worst mark of all FBS teams over the last 5 seasons.

Yes, the 3rd down offense we witnessed last year against non-High School teams was the 2nd worst of every single team in the past 5 years. Historically awful.

If you look at only FBS vs FBS competition, Miami was actually dead last in the country on 3rd down (130 out of 130) at 26.14%.

Even more awesome, that was the 2nd worst mark of all FBS teams over the last 5 seasons.

Yes, the 3rd down offense we witnessed last year against non-High School teams was the 2nd worst of every single team in the past 5 years. Historically awful.

We definitely don't need stats to tell us that, just watching that clueless moron OC last year was actually comical at times:

ROFL

It's really difficult to put into words how much it sucks to watch this brand of football. We have watched more 3 and outs in the last two years than I feel like I watched during the 90s. We weren't just bad the last couple years. We took our sweet time, too.

Advertisement
It's really difficult to put into words how much it sucks to watch this brand of football. We have watched more 3 and outs in the last two years than I feel like I watched during the 90s. We weren't just bad the last couple years. We took our sweet time, too.

I’m not trying to be funny or witty or dramatic when I say this but you almost have to try to be that bad with the talent a team like Miami has. Honestly. It’s almost not possible to really wrap your mind about how bad that is, given the context of where Miami is located, how many incredible athletes are in the state and specifically South Florida, and then the competition we play. I mean, we sit in the most fertile recruiting area known to man, and we play in, without a shadow of a doubt, THE WORST division in the P5.....and we’re not only dead last in the WHOLE ******* COUNTRY, but it’s so bad you have to go back years just to find someone as pathetic? Honestly...how can that happen?? How??? Dan Enos was supposed to call the plays at Alabama this year. Jarren Williams was an Elite 11 QB in HS. Mark Pope was a 5 star player. Brevin Jordan is a first rounder. Deejay Dallas is in the NFL. KJ Osborne was drafted. Corey Gaynor is at least sometimes decent. DJ Scaife isn’t a compete turnstile. How in the absolute world are you THAT BAD on 3rd down? And we never got blown out this year, really. Not like those stats are inflated (or deflated, really) cause you’re in catch up mode and the defense can tee off. Every game had normal game flow, and we got 1 out of every 4 on 3rd down??? Seriously, it’s almost impossible to be that inept.

If things work out this year, this could be a transformative step for the team. No matter who the coach is going forward.

If we put out an exciting, explosive offensive product out there, with even average 3rd down efficiency, and don’t completely shlt the bed on the defense, recruits will see a transformed and obviously much better identity for this program.

That could have a significant impact going forward.

Lashlee/King this year and Lashlee/whoever next year, is what we need to change our identity and perception to the rest of college football world, and our most important target audience: recruits.

I’m not trying to be funny or witty or dramatic when I say this but you almost have to try to be that bad with the talent a team like Miami has. Honestly. It’s almost not possible to really wrap your mind about how bad that is, given the context of where Miami is located, how many incredible athletes are in the state and specifically South Florida, and then the competition we play. I mean, we sit in the most fertile recruiting area known to man, and we play in, without a shadow of a doubt, THE WORST division in the P5.....and we’re not only dead last in the WHOLE ******* COUNTRY, but it’s so bad you have to go back years just to find someone as pathetic? Honestly...how can that happen?? How??? Dan Enos was supposed to call the plays at Alabama this year. Jarren Williams was an Elite 11 QB in HS. Mark Pope was a 5 star player. Brevin Jordan is a first rounder. Deejay Dallas is in the NFL. KJ Osborne was drafted. Corey Gaynor is at least sometimes decent. DJ Scaife isn’t a compete turnstile. How in the absolute world are you THAT BAD on 3rd down? And we never got blown out this year, really. Not like those stats are inflated (or deflated, really) cause you’re in catch up mode and the defense can tee off. Every game had normal game flow, and we got 1 out of every 4 on 3rd down??? Seriously, it’s almost impossible to be that inept.
#BuildingChampions

Oh and FIU blew us out, I dont remember the particulars as it was a blur but I remember them being up multiple scores and them celebrating with time left and we couldnt do ****. We might have threw up a late score while they were celebrating

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami Hurricanes QB D’Eriq King shared his thoughts Tuesday on the Inside The Loop podcast based in Houston, Tex., and he touched on several topics in a wide-ranging interview.

And King made it clear that his goal isn’t to match, say, the 50 TDs he had as a dual threat at Houston in 2018.

It’s all about winning for the graduate transfer.

“I just want to win,” King said. “I know for a guy like me, there is nothing more important than winning. I can do the 50 touchdown thing or whatever, but if we don’t win, especially at The U, it doesn’t mean anything.”

* With former Cane great Ed Reed now UM’s Chief of Staff, king said “Ed Reed is on staff now, so I talk to him a lot. He gives me so many tips and pointers.

“He was just telling me how this is ‘The U’ and if you win here, they will take care of you forever.”

* King said he likes how the alumni are so involved with the Canes.

“I love it, the Alumni put pressure on the current players, current coaches to win,” King said. “We have to do good in order for everybody to keep their job - Ed Reed, he said `It’s the U, you win here they’ll take care of you forever.’”

* His post-Miami goals?

“Wherever the game takes me it takes me,” King said. “Ultimately I want to be a college coach, because all the people in my life I love to death, a lot of coaches.

“I just want to coach in college.”

* King also touched on the challenges of playing QB at his stature.

“When you’re 5-9 you have to prove you can play quarterback,” he said. “I had to do everything this much better.

“Even at Houston I knew I was playing well, but I was in the moment - even that, if I would have done that and I was 6-3, I’d be declaring (early for the NFL).”

* Will King be spending some time with new Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa?

“Maybe, you never know,” King said. “I don’t know Tua that well, know some guys that he knows.”

Advertisement
Back