King is a problem

One read QB that defenses have figured out. Great kid, hard to root against but he is not good at all and this shouldn't be breaking news. The whole notion of King being a "superstar" (lol ) was forced more than the Bam Adebayo superstar thing. nonsense. He was able to scramble for some gains against a scrub school like APP St, this doesn't work against real schools.

Advertisement
Today was a terrible game by King. Pocket presences, rpo reads, middle of the field vision was terrible. Excluding Smith the WR’s drop way to many passes also.
To be fair he may be too short to see the middle of the field and his oline may not be giving him decent throwing lanes.

King can't make throws to the sidelines which is pretty **** annoying. But his refusal to stay in a clean pocket is infuriating.

Im not an XO guy and ive never noticed it until last night, but it was brutally obvious how bad he is at the RPO. Ive always blamed lashlee but last night plenty of it was on King.

ive stood by king because i think he’s a great kid, a leader and a hard worker. But last night convinced me we’d be better off trying TVD or Garcia.

his bad rpo i guarantee is conmected to why he doesnt pass from pocket. He simply cant SEE over line. Theres not much you can do if the qb cant actually see and read things.

ps: im officially over lashlee. Never seen such a sabotaging “tempo” playcalling in my life. His tempo last 1-2 plays, then kills everything with his glorious RB dives. We created a drinking game based on his pathetic/predictable calls

Im not an XO guy and ive never noticed it until last night, but it was brutally obvious how bad he is at the RPO. Ive always blamed lashlee but last night plenty of it was on King.

ive stood by king because i think he’s a great kid, a leader and a hard worker. But last night convinced me we’d be better off trying TVD or Garcia.

his bad rpo i guarantee is conmected to why he doesnt pass from pocket. He simply cant SEE over line. Theres not much you can do if the qb cant actually see and read things.

ps: im officially over lashlee. Never seen such a sabotaging “tempo” playcalling in my life. His tempo last 1-2 plays, then kills everything with his glorious RB dives. We created a drinking game based on his pathetic/predictable calls
He’s just waiting to open up the playbook. Stay tuned. Lol

Advertisement
Absolutely zero chances Manny has the sack to bench King. Completely political coach. You’re going to look fans in the eye and tell them no one else can run the offense when we just saw a Kosi Perry come in and light it up in the same system D’Eriq King is struggling to complete basic reads in? Completely done with Manny as a coach. Don’t care what else happens from here on out, we’re a bottom tier P5 program with him and Blake running the ship.

There is a reason he was respectfully shown the door at Houston.

He is a good college QB, but I'd expect more from a 24 year old Super Senior at home against App State. I know he's not back 100%, but his arm is as pop gun as ever as his decision making on reads seemingly still breaks down into school yard ball. You'd expect a guy that has been playing for 6 years to have more of a command of these simple college concepts. He is going to need to play a cleaner game against Michigan State for us to win that one.

Too many times I saw their DBs playing a country mile off our receivers and thinking throw the bubble, easy 5-7 yards. QB dive on 2nd and 13 lmao 🤣

We throw a quick screen to Rambo and Donaldson jogs to block his man 🤦🏻‍♂️

Advertisement
King is the one guys whose life is on the line depending on this OL... Trust me when he sees **** about this being the most Sr OL in college he doesnt pull out the orange and green glasses like the rest of you clowns. Cant even recall the times I heard how the OL suddenly became good after last year or the year before. Its like most of you mofos haven't watched a game in the last 3 years. App States OL is light years better than ours. The weird thing is Rhett seems to believe the hype as well. Let me be clear this OL is exactly who they have always been. Total dog **** and King is damaged goods working behind them and our blind OC.

Been saying this **** since LAST season.

I'm not a fan of King. Dude is just far too indecisive and limited as a passer.

He refuses to throw the **** ball

SF can you give details on this being at the game: did you see receivers open.

this is deja vu of after games during rosier days smh

Others have already stated much of this, but...:

* King does go through some of his reads but his progression seems....off. (Slow at times, incorrect at times, bails after his primary read at times, etc.). One example is that King had a dump off to Cam Harris wide open on at least a half dozen plays but King was solely focused on the other side of the field. By the time he got his eyes back over to where Cam Harris was (if at all) he was no longer available.

* At 5'-9" he has trouble seeing over portions of the line. I think that leads him to bail on stable pockets from time to time. I also think this is why he misses an open RB who releases into the flat.

* He's simply not a good passer. Not accurate enough on shorter throws and not enough arm strength or accuracy on deep balls. And a serious lack of timing on his deep throws.

* He consistently gets the wrong read on RPO running plays. Its to the point where defenses know this and seem to overplay the running back.

Advertisement
Unfortunately Diaz doesn't have the balls and leadership skills to pull a 6th year senior QB for a Freshman, he couldn't navigate the locker room through it.

Look I said during the game thread, and I hate to have to say this but the only way for player change is Injuries. That's the only way gutless Manny will make a change.

Advertisement
Others have already stated much of this, but...:

* King does go through some of his reads but his progression seems....off. (Slow at times, incorrect at times, bails after his primary read at times, etc.). One example is that King had a dump off to Cam Harris wide open on at least a half dozen plays but King was solely focused on the other side of the field. By the time he got his eyes back over to where Cam Harris was (if at all) he was no longer available.

* At 5'-9" he has trouble seeing over portions of the line. I think that leads him to bail on stable pockets from time to time. I also think this is why he misses an open RB who releases into the flat.

* He's simply not a good passer. Not accurate enough on shorter throws and not enough arm strength or accuracy on deep balls. And a serious lack of timing on his deep throws.

* He consistently gets the wrong read on RPO running plays. Its to the point where defenses know this and seem to overplay the running back.
Yeah, from the very limited view we have on Tv. I saw cam out in the flat wide open countless times as the 3rd or 4th read but he would take off before getting to that final progression

I have a couple friends that do scouting and played at UM. king is a big difference maker for the program. He hold kids accountable doesn’t let them goof off, players love them they’ll fight tooth and nail for him. A bunch of you forgot how messed up the team has been with the lack of leader ship on the field in previous years.
Now I do think his knee is on his mind. I think his internal clock is off when in the pocket he definitely escape sometimes when he didn’t need to he also bailed on a few of his reads our open.
However he has plenty of a strong on a farm to make the throws hes asked to make. And you’re going to live and die with his feet there were a couple players were the pocket did break down and he escapes out and turns them into big gains. That’s just part of it you’re going to take the good with the bad there.
I will say this, he was 20 of 33 and a count of three obvious drops so far a quarterback to go 23/33 with probably closer to 300 no picks is a good job by your qb. I do think he’s being asked to manage the games more so than just flat out play. I do think somethings up with the playcalling not sure if that has to do with concerns for his knee and health or something up with the offensive line but clearly some of the plays last year that worked have not been called so far

Advertisement
Back