Kill Trolls Dead Thread

Advertisement
Clicks over content. That’s the business model. Get a lot of traffic in, any way they can and regardless of the impact on the vast majority because they need volume. They’re not selling subscriptions they’re in the business of generating clicks on ads.

Clicks over content. That’s the business model. Get a lot of traffic in, any way they can and regardless of the impact on the vast majority because they need volume. They’re not selling subscriptions they’re in the business of generating clicks on ads.
Exactly the model. It's a slippery slope RVA. Do they continue this model to provide a free site or change it to subscription based in HOPES of reducing trolls? I just don't think you can eliminate trolls completely.

I'm not blowing smoke but I feel this is one of the best fan sites around. In my short time here, I've come to know whose posts I should read and those I shouldn't. The rest aren't worth my time and effort.

Exactly the model. It's a slippery slope RVA. Do they continue this model to provide a free site or change it to subscription based in HOPES of reducing trolls? I just don't think you can eliminate trolls completely.

I'm not blowing smoke but I feel this is one of the best fan sites around. In my short time here, I've come to know whose posts I should read and those I shouldn't. The rest aren't worth my time and effort.
I’m at a crossroads here tbh. I’m not a fan of the boring conversations on the other boards that I’ve seen but this site has taken a downward turn in its own ways.

They could keep the site free and have a VIP board that’s the pay version at the same time. That would do a lot. With the way the board has gone, I would pay to not have to deal with nearly as much trolling. They should allow bonified recruiting and information guys like LCE, Geta, Brock, Hoya, Zbrod... etc., to have free access to the VIP board to ensure that at least we get some quality content.

@Andrew, I hope you give this some thought.

I’m at a crossroads here tbh. I’m not a fan of the boring conversations on the other boards that I’ve seen but this site has taken a downward turn in its own ways.

They could keep the site free and have a VIP board that’s the pay version at the same time. That would do a lot. With the way the board has gone, I would pay to not have to deal with nearly as much trolling. They should allow bonified recruiting and information guys like LCE, Geta, Brock, Hoya, Zbrod... etc., to have free access to the VIP board to ensure that at least we get some quality content.

Maybe they could get the *** cruise people to sponsor it. I'm sure they've spent plenty advertising here already.

Advertisement

That’s pretty much the model for most of these types of sites. Has been for years and years. Although, most do want reasonable content for survival and viability’s sake.

My interest in their business model was not in the pageview /click-through model, or how they generated revenue aspect, which is well known, but in the structure or organizational aspect. Is there a silent owner? What’s Andrew’s role other than IT/maintenance/site-supervisor? Is there a plan to turn it over? Was that always the plan? What was the plan or objective when it was first started up? Did it just grow/evolve into a viable revenue producer without that necessarily being the original objective (highly doubtful).

Of course, expecting to have any or all of those questions answered is unrealistic, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

@The Franchise, the whole click coming. Just say the word.
Thanks, men. When I quit a different site to come here because that site was allowed to go to **** by its owner, I said this would be my final Canes stop on a long and storied run as the universally-recognized greatest poster in the history of Canes message boards.

As UM’s most legendary and acclaimed poster, I put my trust in D$ because I believed in him and still do. I’m going to see if they listen to us and straighten out the new poster garbage scene that has dug its claws into this site.

If they don’t, then we’ll know they don’t value the great veterans and that they’ve chosen, instead, to throw in with the likes of AnalTongueDarts and all the other fascinating new posters.

Let’s stay in touch and stay together.

In the car forum world, Autoguide started buying up every on they could find. Then they got a bit heavy handed on censorship and added a thread here and there promoting some artic lo e or another on their site.

People start seeing $$$ and common sense goes out the window.

Not opposed to those ideas one iota. That's basically the same model @ 247, but at least we know Andrew and Dmoney are true Canes and they've brought in some great contributors in Stefan, Roman, Lance, and Matthew. And the guys you mentioned would definitely keep it real.

My only concern with the pay model is how much would they need to generate enough revenue to be a viable enterprise and what steps would they need to take to ensure their viability ie more pop-ups, more banner ads, etc. There's also costs associated with collecting the fees including credit card fess and admin costs; which can be somewhat negated by passing the costs on to subscribers. - something that the owners may have already considered. Only the owners can answer those questions.

Advertisement

They wouldn’t need to make it a pay site to stop the only major problem here—new idiot posters spree posting garbage. Just put some restrictions on new posters’ ability to start threads and be hyper vigilant on what the new guys are adding. Simple solution if they want to take it.

They wouldn’t need to make it a pay site to stop the only major problem here—new idiot posters spree posting garbage. Just put some restrictions on new posters’ ability to start threads and be hyper vigilant on what the new guys are adding. Simple solution if they want to take it.
Agree Franchise. Seems like a simple solution that could/should be implemented without too much trouble. I'm tech savvy just enough to get in trouble but I can't imagine it would be that difficult to implement your suggestion - one that has been suggested on several occasions.

Advertisement
Agree Franchise. Seems like a simple solution that could/should be implemented without too much trouble. I'm tech savvy just enough to get in trouble but I can't imagine it would be that difficult to implement your suggestion - one that has been suggested on several occasions.
I mean yeah... that’s essentially the issue as Chise put it. Thread starting control and hyper-vigilance on what they are doing elsewhere to start. They’re not doing it so some of us offered to start clipping their wings with this thread being our fed-up protest to what’s going on and what the impacts are to us.

It seems that the owners aren’t interested in having us do it for them or really doing it themselves so I suggested a 2 board model with a premium board that they charge for. This allows them to keep their traffic and add in a pay board that should be an upgrade in quality of content and strictly deloused of trolls.

I’m out of solutions after that.

I mean yeah... that’s essentially the issue as Chise put it. Thread starting control and hyper-vigilance on what they are doing elsewhere to start. They’re not doing it so some of us offered to start clipping their wings with this thread being our fed-up protest to what’s going on and what the impacts are to us.

It seems that the owners aren’t interested in having us do it for them or really doing it themselves so I suggested a 2 board model with a premium board that they charge for. This allows them to keep their traffic and add in a pay board that should be an upgrade in quality of content and strictly deloused of trolls.

I’m out of solutions after that.
I'd love a second board. If they wanted to keep the whole thing free, they could even just allow posting privileges to only veteran posters.

They wouldn’t need to make it a pay site to stop the only major problem here—new idiot posters spree posting garbage....

I can’t stress enough how implementing this one little thing would improve readability by leaps and bounds.

When you have brand new posters spraying the board with post after post but especially thread after thread, virtually 100% of the time on already active topics, and when their content and takes are trolltastic to begin with...you get the equivalent of loud screeching monkeys flinging copious amounts of excrement on the board.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back