Kill Shots Is It Still Considered Manly

Ropa

Band
Banned
With every game delayed by replay officials due to helmet to helmet or defenseless calls; do fans still want and enjoy kill shots in this era of football? Do you still admire a receiver that will cross the middle of the field without fear? Do you still love defenders that send the message to offenses that there is a price to pay for attempting to gain a yard? Basically, are there any Manly Men left in this era that love this aspect of the game?

Houston Texans rookie safety D.J. Swearinger had drilled Keller (Miami) in the legs, just after the 6-foot-2, 255-pound tight end caught a short pass. The hit tore three of the four main ligaments in Keller's right knee and partially shredded a fourth. It also fractured his kneecap and damaged cartilage. In the locker room, a few minutes after one of the Dolphins' doctors had popped his kneecap back into place, Keller asked himself that question:

"Why did that guy come right at my knees?"

After the game, Swearinger, then 21, had an answer at the ready:

"I'm sorry that this happened," he told reporters, "but, you know, with the rules, I had to go low. And that's something that I'm going to start doing now, you know, just to play within the rules."

The play brought to life an issue that had been largely theoretical to that point: With the NFL and NCAA's aggressive crackdown against hits to the head and neck -- a response to the ongoing concussion crisis -- some players expressed concerns that defensive players would simply start to go low to avoid drawing penalties, fines and suspensions.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I do. I love a mike who is feared.....the Barrow hit is still one of my favorite plays of all time. I became a Canes fan b/c of those old defenses.

What i hate is the constant talking and jawing. Let your play speak for itself. An occasional comment or head bob is welcomes, but guys signaling 1st downs and dancing/celebrating after making only 1 play in an ENTIRE game is embarrassing. Act like you've done it before and use it to pump up your team instead of trying to single out yourself.

And as sad as some may think it is, i appreciate breaking down film and watching the game between linemen and LBs.....the reads, the blocks/sheds, body and hand placement, slants, etc. Spread is fun for the average fan b/c who doesn't love points, but my eyes are always drawn to the game within a game.

It's how the game should be played. When you sign up you know there is great potential to get hurt. Head and neck injuries included. Targeting penalty is terrible and to make it worse the kids sit out for a game

Advertisement
I'm all for the killshots.

I think the entire helmet to helmet thing is blown way out of proportion and its almost impossible to avoid them with the spontaneous recklessness that football is.

The funny thing is, they really don't care if its helmet to helmet. They have shown time and time again, NFL or NCAA, that if you hit a guy too hard, whether shoulder pad or crown of helmet, you're going to get fined or ejected.

Any time I see a former football player or even die-hard fan scream " that was targeting" it makes me cringe.

Pussification at its finest.

I'm fine with killshots just don't celebrate after unless it's done near the line of scrimmage or in the backfield. **** all this celebrating after the offense just got a first down on your ***.

If it causes a fumble or knocks an opposing star player out of the game, I'm 10,000% in favor of it.

Advertisement
I'm all for the killshots.

I think the entire helmet to helmet thing is blown way out of proportion and its almost impossible to avoid them with the spontaneous recklessness that football is.

The funny thing is, they really don't care if its helmet to helmet. They have shown time and time again, NFL or NCAA, that if you hit a guy too hard, whether shoulder pad or crown of helmet, you're going to get fined or ejected.

Any time I see a former football player or even die-hard fan scream " that was targeting" it makes me cringe.

Pussification at its finest.

Yeah even if it's a clean hit. If it looks vicious enough I look for the flag. Football players are gonna start flopping I believe.

I love kill shots and don't mind the celebrations either. I mean its a game that should be fun after all. If you don't want the other team to celebrate then don't give them an opportunity to.

Love 'em and I thank God ST26 played when he did because the rules of today would somewhat take away the fear factor wr had of him.

The rule is utter Bullshet! There are many factors where using proper technique that unintended head contact can occur and does. Plus many duck when seeing a defender thereby causing the head contact. Then there are big games where the refs are less likely to make the call or the officials up top like wwe saw in the National Champ game. I can accept the penalty, but ejection and the next game rule is going too far and nothing more than a public relationship ploy to pretend they have the athletes safety in mind. I could see the player having to sit the remaining of the qtr or the next qtr if less than 10 mins. Something like that, but not the current BS!

Advertisement
i mean, i feel like tearing a ligament is better than going insane and committing suicide at age 50. but thats just me.

i also dont think there's anything manly about hitting a defenseless player that doesnt see it coming. again, just me.

I think leading with the helmet is cowardly. I also think its being coached is dirty, and Bama came **** close to it against Watson. You can set plenty of "tone" with a driving shoulder shot to the gut.

i mean, i feel like tearing a ligament is better than going insane and committing suicide at age 50. but thats just me.

i also dont think there's anything manly about hitting a defenseless player that doesnt see it coming. again, just me.

Defenseless player is such a stupid rule. If the guy is in contact with the football, you hit him.

And what does him seeing it coming have to do with it? A big hit is a big hit. Who cares if the offensive player saw it coming.

Advertisement
I'm kinda conflicted about it. I like seeing the kill shots but I don't like seeing kids hurt when they aren't getting paid, specially Miami kids. ****'s in the NFL get paid outrageous money so whatever for them. I think in college it should be about intent to use the helmet as a weapon. It shouldn't be targeting if a kid goes to hammer another kid who scrunches up and then there's helmet to helmet contact. In the NFL, short of guns, bats, chains, and knives, it should be **** near anything goes.

Defenseless player is such a stupid rule. If the guy is in contact with the football, you hit him.

And what does him seeing it coming have to do with it? A big hit is a big hit. Who cares if the offensive player saw it coming.

i said nothing about the rule, i only spoke to my opinion of manliness.

manliness, to me, is more like a 190 lb corner squaring up to hit a 240 lb running back coming at him full speed head on...and less, teeing off on a guy who doesnt see it coming.

i dunno fellas, i watched that will smith movie concussion and my views got all kinds of ****ed up. i understand that in our great country men are free to choose their profession, but lets at least disclose the actual risks to the best of our ability

First off, the guys who are going insane and killing themselves at age 50 aren't usually skill players, they're linemen. The guys who bang head constantly, play after play, a hundred times a week. This is why I think the whole crackdown on head-to-head contact and "defenseless players" is stupid. It's not the guys who occasionally get cracked going across the middle that are suffering from CTE. Truth is, skill players don't even suffer major concussions that often. The ones who are killing their brains are the guys on the front-7 who are banging heads over and over and over again. A study showed that linemen basically encounter a minor car crash every snap. Back up to the next level (LB's) and it's a major car crash.

There's no way to prevent that unless you take helmets away from the game. Helmet-to-helmet contact can NOT be avoided on the front-7.

Truth be told, I have a feeling the NFL knows this but the whole crackdown on helmet contact/defenseless players is just a way for them to collect money via fines.

As far as kill shots go, I consider them legitimate defensive plays. You always want to contest throws and if you can't break on the ball in time but instead break on the receiver and force an incompletion via contact...well you've made a great defensive play. They've gotten so ghey about this whole thing now that often times they penalize/fine/suspend guys simply for making a hard hit, whether it's helmet to helmet or not. Any time a WR gets drilled nowadays I already know a flag is coming. It's so annoying.

Advertisement
Back