Kill Shots Is It Still Considered Manly

Also...

The sport of football set this whole thing in motion when they put a premium on "bigger, faster, stronger".

Look how explosive today's NFL athlete is and look at how big they are at the same time. It's humanly unnatural. It makes no sense that a 240lb man runs the forty yard dash in 4.5 seconds. Combine that with the fact that he's ultra aggressive and likely benches 375+ and squats 550+ and you have a recipe for head trauma.

An NFL football player has the most impressive combination of size, speed, strength and explosiveness in the world. No other sport has the combination of those traits the way football does.

Advertisement
I like some form of protection for defenseless players. One of the things that I regret to this day is a unnecessary hit I made in High school. Playing safety in a game we were up 35-0, I had a 20 yard running start at a receiver coming over the middle completely stretched out for an overthrown ball. I didn't pull up at all and ran right through him, like I was taught. I can still see that wr writhing around on the field in pain. They stopped the game,brought the ambulance onto the track, and wheeled him off on a stretcher. I never found out what injuries he suffered but it never should have happened. Todays game is much faster,players are bigger and stronger, and paralysis or death in some cases could occur. I guess that I am "pussified" now or whatever but there needs to be rules to protect defenseless players IMO. It's still a game in the end.

One thing that goes unnoticed, the athletic equipment industry is about like our medical industry. The medical industry aint found a cure for anything since polio. And not much has changed with helmets since Riddell and Bike made the first attempts at limiting concussions and **** heat stroke!!! Follow the money trail, it's in the leg injuries. Head and neck injury is a one shot deal. But leg and knee injuries; **** in most cases can rehab and comeback!

Bigger faster stronger has a little to do with it but only because real solutions haven't been made in securing the head and neck. Compare a helmet today in weight in comparison to those rocks we put on back in the day. They lighter and more sleek in appears but as far as safety it's not much difference.

Last edited:
First off, the guys who are going insane and killing themselves at age 50 aren't usually skill players, they're linemen. The guys who bang head constantly, play after play, a hundred times a week. This is why I think the whole crackdown on head-to-head contact and "defenseless players" is stupid. It's not the guys who occasionally get cracked going across the middle that are suffering from CTE. Truth is, skill players don't even suffer major concussions that often. The ones who are killing their brains are the guys on the front-7 who are banging heads over and over and over again. A study showed that linemen basically encounter a minor car crash every snap. Back up to the next level (LB's) and it's a major car crash.

There's no way to prevent that unless you take helmets away from the game. Helmet-to-helmet contact can NOT be avoided on the front-7.

Truth be told, I have a feeling the NFL knows this but the whole crackdown on helmet contact/defenseless players is just a way for them to collect money via fines.

As far as kill shots go, I consider them legitimate defensive plays. You always want to contest throws and if you can't break on the ball in time but instead break on the receiver and force an incompletion via contact...well you've made a great defensive play. They've gotten so ghey about this whole thing now that often times they penalize/fine/suspend guys simply for making a hard hit, whether it's helmet to helmet or not. Any time a WR gets drilled nowadays I already know a flag is coming. It's so annoying.

I agree coach with all you stated. I will add and this is from conversations with my former NFL friends. The NFL always knew players were suffering head injuries, but made them play by suggesting they'll lose their jobs by saying, "you can't make the team on the training table. The settlement with the players included the NFL not releasing the findings to their CTE Study which would be monumental in research and safety. Lastly the receivers would rather you hit them high instead of their legs, which DB's will be forced to do to avoid fines and suspensions. A former Buc receiver told me his legs was how he made his money.

Lastly the receivers would rather you hit them high instead of their legs, which DB's will be forced to do to avoid fines and suspensions. A former Buc receiver told me his legs was how he made his money.

That's the thing!

You're forcing defensive players to completely avoid taking shots above the waist for fear of penalty/fine/suspension. Now you're gonna have guys blowing up WR's knees and leaving them in worse shape than if they just got their bell rung. SMH LOL

If I was a WR I'd much rather get KO'd.

Advertisement
I see the game of football in the same light as Mike Singletary. When he coached Ray Lewis in Baltimore he told Ray, he said "Meet me on the field dressed and ready to go tomorrow at 6 in the morning and I will be dressed in gear with you! Ray said, that morning Mike said to him, "I want you to run through that wall!" Huh, said Ray. "You want me to run through that wall?" Mike said "You want to be great, right? Well that's what its going to take to play LB for me! Now if you get knocked out trying to do it; Hey, that's just part of the process!!!"

[video=youtube;-sHMFQIa_DA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sHMFQIa_DA[/video]

Last edited:
In Australian Rules Football, defenders have to play the ball. If you just take out a player that just catches a ball, it is a penalty, and possible suspension. It's too easy to just wait for a wide receiver to catch the ball, and then just lay the ****** out.

Just play the **** ball. Try to strip it out of his hands, knock it down, etc. But just waiting for him to catch it, and then take him out, is kind of ridiculous especially if you are targeting the head or knee of a defenseless person. Allowing the hit above the knee and below the neck seems like a good rule to me for a defenseless receiver.

If fans want this in the game, then the offensive players should be allowed to use more contact against defenders when going out for passes. At least make the playing field level.

Last edited:
In Australian Rules Football, defenders have to play the ball. If you just take out a player that just catches a ball, it is a penalty, and possible suspension. It's too easy to just wait for a wide receiver to catch the ball, and then just lay the ****** out.

Just play the **** ball. Try to strip it out of his hands, knock it down, etc. But just waiting for him to catch it, and then take him out, is kind of ridiculous.

If fans want this in the game, then the offensive players should be allowed to use more contact against defenders when going out for passes. At least make the playing field level.

It's so simple guys! Just play the ball every time!!

Never mind if you're nowhere near the ball when the WR catches it. Just hit him the next time!

Advertisement
Just play the ball every time is easier to say than it is to do.

Cornerbacks, specifically, and defensive backs in general, have everything stacked against them. They are doomed to fail again and again.

Granted, it's never been easy for defensive backs:

• The receiver is running forward. At the outset, a defensive back is running backward.

• The receiver and his quarterback know where he's going. A DB doesn't.

• More often than not, the receiver is both taller and heavier than a defensive back. The average corner is giving two inches and 9 pounds to a wide receiver; safeties spot four inches and 49 pounds to tight ends.

I think if you give all players Legion of Doom style shoulder pads, head injuries will go down dramatically

Just play the **** ball. Try to strip it out of his hands, knock it down, etc. But just waiting for him to catch it, and then take him out, is kind of ridiculous especially if you are targeting the head or knee of a defenseless person. Allowing the hit above the knee and below the neck seems like a good rule to me for a defenseless receiver.

Yeah, that's how it works. DB's are just sitting there waiting for WR's who aren't looking. LOL
Man c'mon.

The game is played at 100 mph. Every defensive player would love to make a play on the ball but sometimes you don't get there in time and the next best thing is to make a play on the body. (and hopefully dislodge the ball)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Trump said that more protection for players will harm the NFL. “It’s become weak and you know what? It’s going to affect the NFL,” said Trump. “I don’t even watch it as much anymore. It’s going to affect the NFL. I don’t watch it. The referees, they want to all throw flags so their wives see them at home. ‘Oh, there’s my husband.’ It’s true. ‘He just broke up - he just gave a 15-yard penalty on one of the most beautiful tackles made this year.’ Right?”

Truth be told, I have a feeling the NFL knows this but the whole crackdown on helmet contact/defenseless players is just a way for them to collect money via fines.

This is the dumbest statement I've read in a long time. The NFL does not keep or profit from fine money. They give it to charity and most of the charities have something to do with causes for retired players.

This is the dumbest statement I've read in a long time. The NFL does not keep or profit from fine money. They give it to charity and most of the charities have something to do with causes for retired players.

My bad, you fvckin' cry baby, I didn't know that. You don't have to say "this is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time". How old are you, dude? You don't know another way to correct somebody?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back