Kickoff

AlexCane

Senior
Every thread is moping and Manny and Blake. Let me change the discussion a bit.

Is it me, or has the kickoff in CFB (and NFL) become awful? Kickers are so good nowadays that touchbacks have become a formality like an extra point. The kickoff return was a fun part of the game that has been legislated out. It's now boring.

I'd like to see the kicking team have an option of kicking from the 30 or 35. A touchback from the 35 results in the opposing team getting the ball at the 30. A touchback from the 30 . . . offense starts at the 20.

And, it's really bad live. At least if you're viewing from home it's a snack or bathroom break. Live? The entire segment following a TD is tedious. Between TV timeouts, extra point, all the different special teams units trotting out there, it's become really boring down time.

What do you all think?

Advertisement
I believe the goal was to eliminate returns and thus reducing violent hits to players...both leagues have gotten what they want.

There’s been some rumblings about just starting each drive at the 25 yard line and just removing the kickoff altogether.

*** as ****

I believe the goal was to eliminate returns and thus reducing violent hits to players...both leagues have gotten what they want.

There’s been some rumblings about just starting each drive at the 25 yard line and just removing the kickoff altogether.

*** as ****
Honestly, compared to how it is now, I'd rather do that since it'll likely mean shorter games.

Guys will fair catch balls at the 10 on kickoffs. The game is becoming worse as the years go on. NFL is **** near unwatchable. And college football isn’t far behind
Or, they're returning 5 yards into the end zone and don't stand a chance of getting to the 25.

Advertisement
Honestly, compared to how it is now, I'd rather do that since it'll likely mean shorter games.
Agreed

If It means I don’t have to see Mike Harley standing there so proud with his arms spread wide open while the ball flies thru the end zone I’m all for it

I can’t stand the fair catch outside the endzone….pretty soon they’ll be putting flags on everyone..

Advertisement
Mark Richt was one of the most vocal coaches a few years ago for eliminating kickoffs entirely.

I think within the next few years you'll see that happen.

Is it me, or has the kickoff in CFB (and NFL) become awful? Kickers are so good nowadays that touchbacks have become a formality like an extra point. The kickoff return was a fun part of the game that has been legislated out. It's now boring.

I'd like to see the kicking team have an option of kicking from the 30 or 35. A touchback from the 35 results in the opposing team getting the ball at the 30. A touchback from the 30 . . . offense starts at the 20.

And, it's really bad live. At least if you're viewing from home it's a snack or bathroom break. Live? The entire segment following a TD is tedious. Between TV timeouts, extra point, all the different special teams units trotting out there, it's become really boring down time.

What do you all think?
I believe kickoffs are going to be eliminated, but onsides retained. Start at 15-25yd line. NFL wants points!

And since we are talkimg Ks, wouldn't be surprised that 50yd FGs become what was once 30yds in success rate. At some point, we'll see a 70yd made.

This was done essentially for safety, correct? Or at least that was what I remember them saying when it was being kicked around originally

Either way, yeah, I agree it takes something away from the game for me for sure

Advertisement
Advertisement

What do you all think?
Both leagues trying to eliminate the kick off return. Punts are next. Pretty soon they'll just put the ball on the 30 and say go.

What do you all think?

Agree you might as well save time and have the offense start at the 25 yd line

Advertisement
Back