Khaya Wright EDGE ‘20

Just offered. 6’3, 194, 4.73 with a 34 inch vert out of South Miami.

Saw him on the camp circuit. Skinny but power plays up because of exceptional straight-line burst.

Very difficult to take anything from those highlights, barely gets touched by the OT's he went against, I would imagine that the staff will wait until seeing him at camp before accepting a commitment. Manny sure loves these DE/LB hybrids though...

Advertisement
Don't like the Mike Smith comparison, but this kid is a player...Looks rangier than Smith types.

Needs weight and technique...Has surprising strength, the measurables and atheleticism are there for 6'3 195. Needs weight and technique. Wouldn't rule out backer, but I honestly think DE is his calling. Admittedly 3-4 OLB may be his position, but I think he can play DE at UM.

No idea if this is a legit offer, or the "wait and see you're on our radar offer", but I like the kid. Pleasantly surprised.

I'm glad we finally offered someone from the Corbras, South Miami actually has a couple of talented players on that squad that get slept on. 2020 DT Travis Williams & 2020 WR Gerand Turner who has good speed & was very productive his Junior year.

Khaya is a kid with quick burst & explosion off the snap, but is raw as a pure pass rusher, he's a converted WR that has transitioned well into playing Rush end. He's got crazy long arms & his frame looks like he could get up to 230lbs range once in a S&C program, definite Redshirt prospect.

I like the offer, but what I question is how the staff sees this kid as a DE, but not Latarie Kinsler? And what's the holdup in offering Chris Jones or Claude Larkins who are athletically similar to Wright.

Wright has good upside though, he reminds of one of Manny's former players at Midd Tenn St Erik Walden. Also a former player of Coach Stroud's at CSU & Akron, Cap Capi.

IMO LCE you answered your own question, upside...I don't particularly have a prob with Jones or Larkins, I just don't think they are anywhere as quick and explosive. Now Jones is 220, and Larkiins 235-240ish, so obviously the question is can Wright he keep this explosiveness with extra weight. But I think Larkins is actually more of a SSDE prospect, and although Jones isn't bad, I just don't see the explosiveness as this kid's tape...Maybe riskier than those two due to weight, but more upside

I like his motor. This kid doesn't appreciate attempts to block him and rely sticks his nose in there pursuing the ball. Somebody mentioned him keeping his quickness at 265 or so. If he can, whoo, look out.

Advertisement
i dont know the last kid we offered from South Miami.

If they see him as a Backer i wouldnt be oppossed. I would have to see him matched up with real tackles on the edge. He has solid film.

Last edited:
I'm glad we finally offered someone from the Corbras, South Miami actually has a couple of talented players on that squad that get slept on. 2020 DT Travis Williams & 2020 WR Gerand Turner who has good speed & was very productive his Junior year.

Khaya is a kid with quick burst & explosion off the snap, but is raw as a pure pass rusher, he's a converted WR that has transitioned well into playing Rush end. He's got crazy long arms & his frame looks like he could get up to 230lbs range once in a S&C program, definite Redshirt prospect.

I like the offer, but what I question is how the staff sees this kid as a DE, but not Latarie Kinsler? And what's the holdup in offering Chris Jones or Claude Larkins who are athletically similar to Wright.

Wright has good upside though, he reminds of one of Manny's former players at Midd Tenn St Erik Walden. Also a former player of Coach Stroud's at CSU & Akron, Cap Capi.

Kahmari Lovett, DB, 2021.

Just offered. 6’3, 194, 4.73 with a 34 inch vert out of South Miami.

Saw him on the camp circuit. Skinny but power plays up because of exceptional straight-line burst.

First love the hair and looks like he plays every play with energy and passion

If they see him as a Backer i wouldnt be oppossed. I would have to see him matched up with real tackles on the edge. He has solid film.

They haven't had a prospect worth offering since AJ Legget, who was there for 1 season. We offered him when he was at booker t, IIRC.

In the early 2000s they had a bunch of good players, but sucked as a team. Patrick Robinson was there from his freshman to junior season, but I'm not sure if we ever offered him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
As an aside, it's not taking Collins long to realize that you can recruit 3 and 4 star guys that the big 3/UGA/other SEC schools don't want and still build a solid program. GT is probably going to finish with a Top 25 class.

Advertisement
Harvey 6'4 Rousseau 6'7 so its easier for them to add weight when compared to a kid thats 6'2.5. Also both were much bigger than this kid is by the end of their junior years.
When did Harvey get so big? I heard he was more like 6'5" in person too. I guess I assumed he was much shorter or something like that as other schools never recruited him that hard.

The DB/RB that couldn’t qualify, ended up at Marshall. I can’t remember his name but it was Golden era.

Advertisement
Back