Key'Shawn Smith Season Highlights - Viable #1?

Needs to get much tougher and stronger at POA. I still think there’s plenty of upside that he hasn’t tapped into yet honestly but I don’t see surefire #1 yet. That will be quite the competition between him, George, Brinson, and Ladson.

Gun to my head, Ladson (if he can maintain health) or George.

Suspicious Eva Green GIF by James Bond 007

Advertisement
Advertisement
Quick Hitters:
-Not Scared. Fearless over the middle. A1 competitor.
-High pointing skills are underrated. On a couple of occasions, he stacked the corner and finished the catch by boxing the WR out. (thanks, Likens).
-Throttles speed for the catch to maximize YAC ability/chances.
-Seemingly ran the entire route tree. Lined up inside/outside throughout season.
-Seemed to have had the 2nd best rapport with TVD; 2nd to Rambo.

Q:
Romello Brinson, Frank Ladson & Jacolby George are intriguing themselves, but there's a reason Key'Shawn was consistently out #2 last year.

Will he be our #1 next year? What do you think?

He can make the difficult catches but it’s the YAC for the big yards or homerun where I think he needs to improve and that may not be possible. Is elusiveness a skill you can hone or is that natural? Stacey coley had it. Duke had it. But can it be developed?

He can make the difficult catches but it’s the YAC for the big yards or homerun where I think he needs to improve and that may not be possible. Is elusiveness a skill you can hone or is that natural? Stacey coley had it. Duke had it. But can it be developed?

I feel you. He didn't overperform in that area.

But all of his catches looked difficult, and it's not like he caught many low crossing routes.

He does have something to prove in that area. Well said.

I hope not, but Key'Shawn has competition through the roof.

The outlook may change once we finally get an OC lol.

If what Brian Mcclendon said was true -- that we're looking to run the ball a lot this year -- well, Key'Shawn caught the ball well over the middle. That would play to the PA pass.

Idk. So much is factored into the OC hire.

Advertisement
I agree but i believe he is a clone of Kj Osborn he just needs to get stronger!

I agree but i believe he is a clone of Kj Osborn he just needs to get stronger!

Is he, or someone in the frame of Justin Jefferson, the new Meta?

WR's who are around 6 foot 190 have been balling lately. Position versatility seems to be a primo these days.

I mean, we can't even decide on what position Rambo will play in the NFL.

I think Cali kids are overrated & kinda soft, but one thing they really hit on is receivers. This kid was a low 3 star that was headed to Wazzu until Leach left, we beat out Fresno State and Hawaii for his services & he's arguably the best receiver on our roster

Advertisement
I think Cali kids are overrated & kinda soft, but one thing they really hit on is receivers. This kid was a low 3 star that was headed to Wazzu until Leach left, we beat out Fresno State and Hawaii for his services & he's arguably the best receiver on our roster

Cali has a lot of athletes; I mean, the state and populace is huge.

But I always liken most California players to being "gamers". In general and in my perspective, west coast players might not be that fast or aggressive, but they usually have good football instincts. The west coast produces a different breed sometimes & it's hard to explain, but the difference is noticeable.

It would be nice if he was our 3rd or 4th best WR going into next season. In the meantime Worsham has some talent and i'm eager to see what he does with it..

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm not sure about the guys coming in like Ladson, but I think all of Miami's WR's can use a better S&C program. More specifically, being stronger at the point of attack, getting off the line of scrimmage and being more physical when blocking. All of the other intangibles are there. IMO

I hope not, but Key'Shawn has competition through the roof.

The outlook may change once we finally get an OC lol.

If what Brian Mcclendon said was true -- that we're looking to run the ball a lot this year -- well, Key'Shawn caught the ball well over the middle. That would play to the PA pass.

Idk. So much is factored into the OC hire.
I think we have several capable receivers, but I don't see a true #1 among them.

Advertisement
Back