Keyshawn Smith: Potential X-Factor?

gambino97

Recruit
I know a lot has been written about the WRs and even Smith, but I love what I am seeing from Keyshawn. Every week, it shows a flash of something this team has not had consistently since AR12's freshman year: a WR the defense has to respect/fear. Again, its just been flashes and we won't know for sure until he starts getting meaningful reps, but these two plays stood out against Pitt......

Play 1: 2nd & 10, Miami 25

I believe at this point, the offense has bogged down tremendously and allowed Pitt to hang around, despite the 14-3 score. King has thrown 2 picks. Miami lines up in 4 wide, with Smith being at the bottom of the screen. Smith comes inside and makes a tough catch, knowing the safety is bearing down.

What you may not have noticed is, if Smith breaks this tackle, this is probably a TD as their is no defender within 10 yards of him? If the two WRs at the top of the screen do more to force the safety to roll coverage that way or hesitate even a step, thats a house call. You replace Brevin/Mallory for Hodges in this play, this ends differently potentially (note: I believe Hodges is a player; coaches need to give this kid some touches man).

Play 2: 1st & 10, early 3rd quarter- Harley TD

Harley scores for sure. great job by King for stepping up into the pocket, avoiding some pressure and not panicking despite the DL getting constant pressure during the game. Harley makes a good catch, regains his balance and scores.

But lets look at the formation and players again. 3 x 1 formation with the bunch to the short side. The bunch includes Harley, Mallory and young Mr. Keyshawn. Lo and behold, it is Keyshawn, not Mallory, not Harley who takes the double team, leaving Mallory open on a 7 and Harley WIDE ***, Elementary school open, up the sidelines. We know the result....King had two very open options and actually chose the tougher of the two throws on the play.

Going fwd, I would love to see more bunch formations as they seem to result in net positives for the offense every time out. Hopefully Keyshawn, Redding and some of the other pups continue to grow in this offense. I know this is a very LIMITED sample size, but Keyshawn, looks to be earning the respect of defenses based on MY very amateur film review LOL....

Advertisement
I think if the team had a proper spring and fall camp the freshman would be playing more than they have thus far.

I think that is one important factor our fans seem to keep forgetting about playing all these young bucks to start the season.

Excited to see if they breakout against some of the poorer defenses we will be coming up against these next few weeks.

I missed the tough catch play as I was watching the game on my phone while walking around the gun show.

But Keyshawn drawing the double team on the Harley TD got my immediate attention. They blanketed him like he was a star receiver. He has a bright future, just needs reps as you stated.

I missed the tough catch play as I was watching the game on my phone while walking around the gun show.

But Keyshawn drawing the double team on the Harley TD got my immediate attention. They blanketed him like he was a star receiver. He has a bright future, just needs reps as you stated.
It didnt stand out to me until I rewatched the condensed version....

At the end of the day, I would love for someone from the WR room to wake up and take charge. I thought it would be Wiggins with his speed and size but he just does not seem to be an alpha.

Not saying after 3 catches in 2 weeks that this guy is it, but I have seen enough from him and Redding to give them a chance.

Advertisement
Hope so. I thought Payton was the one with all the Greentree hype. But the only memory I have of that guy all season long is him losing a shoe.

Let's hope we see something positive from the receivers this week. The team needs it to take the next step, so SOMEBODY has to be the man and step up in that WR room.

Even in spite of the lack of Spring ball - these freshmen playing where possible - sure does send South Florida and national recruits a message that we could use as an assist.

If you're a Freshman - and if you're up to it - you will play. You may not start all season - but you'll play and if you can hold up your end - you'll get a chance to strut!

Hope so. I thought Payton was the one with all the Greentree hype. But the only memory I have of that guy all season long is him losing a shoe.

Let's hope we see something positive from the receivers this week. The team needs it to take the next step, so SOMEBODY has to be the man and step up in that WR room.
To be fair mallory was a greentree all american for a year or two before doing anything in an actual game, and this year is feeling like his breakout year. Yeah took way too long, but whatever. So lookout for Payton next season! :ROFLMAO:

Advertisement
But lets look at the formation and players again. 3 x 1 formation with the bunch to the short side. The bunch includes Harley, Mallory and young Mr. Keyshawn. Lo and behold, it is Keyshawn, not Mallory, not Harley who takes the double team, leaving Mallory open on a 7 and Harley WIDE ***, Elementary school open, up the sidelines. We know the result....King had two very open options and actually chose the tougher of the two throws on the play.
Perhaps I misunderstood, but Mallory doesn't run a 7 route there. And, he put tremendous pressure on the defense, too. I'm actually surprised King didn't throw it down the seam there. Happy King calmly stepped up in the pocket, which I hope he does more.

Smith's most impactful attribute right now is exactly what most have written: he gets such a clean release and strides his way to take the top off a defense. The Arizona Cardinals use that smaller speedster guy (Isabella?) to do the same. It has ripple effects across the route combinations. Would love to see some underneath routes behind it.

Would love to see some of our guys sent across the field, too. Of course, that will require some trust in our OL and King to manage the pocket. I suspect we'll see more of that against the "lesser" upcoming defenses.

Payton losing a shoe running a curl route was the last straw. The guy's head is just not in this 100% and we've been warned that this was the case going back to last spring but he looks fresh in a uniform so people hype him up. I agree that it's time to unleash Smith all over everybody's ***.

Even in spite of the lack of Spring ball - these freshmen playing where possible - sure does send South Florida and national recruits a message that we could use as an assist.

If you're a Freshman - and if you're up to it - you will play. You may not start all season - but you'll play and if you can hold up your end - you'll get a chance to strut!
Manny should be making a Suge Knight-like "come to Death Row" proclamation for HS WRs

Advertisement
Payton losing a shoe running a curl route was the last straw. The guy's head is just not in this 100% and we've been warned that this was the case going back to last spring but he looks fresh in a uniform so people hype him up. I agree that it's time to unleash Smith all over everybody's ***.
that was beyond pitiful. he fits right in with pope/harley/wiggins

Advertisement
I know a lot has been written about the WRs and even Smith, but I love what I am seeing from Keyshawn. Every week, it shows a flash of something this team has not had consistently since AR12's freshman year: a WR the defense has to respect/fear. Again, its just been flashes and we won't know for sure until he starts getting meaningful reps, but these two plays stood out against Pitt......

Play 1: 2nd & 10, Miami 25

I believe at this point, the offense has bogged down tremendously and allowed Pitt to hang around, despite the 14-3 score. King has thrown 2 picks. Miami lines up in 4 wide, with Smith being at the bottom of the screen. Smith comes inside and makes a tough catch, knowing the safety is bearing down.

What you may not have noticed is, if Smith breaks this tackle, this is probably a TD as their is no defender within 10 yards of him? If the two WRs at the top of the screen do more to force the safety to roll coverage that way or hesitate even a step, thats a house call. You replace Brevin/Mallory for Hodges in this play, this ends differently potentially (note: I believe Hodges is a player; coaches need to give this kid some touches man).

Play 2: 1st & 10, early 3rd quarter- Harley TD

Harley scores for sure. great job by King for stepping up into the pocket, avoiding some pressure and not panicking despite the DL getting constant pressure during the game. Harley makes a good catch, regains his balance and scores.

Going fwd, I would love to see more bunch formations as they seem to result in net positives for the offense every time out. Hopefully Keyshawn, Redding and some of the other pups continue to grow in this offense. I know this is a very LIMITED sample size, but Keyshawn, looks to be earning the respect of defenses based on MY very amateur film review LOL....

That’s was after the PI call where he burned that guy. So that is why he was doubled on the play. Called it out during the game. He will be a beast here

Perhaps I misunderstood, but Mallory doesn't run a 7 route there. And, he put tremendous pressure on the defense, too. I'm actually surprised King didn't throw it down the seam there. Happy King calmly stepped up in the pocket, which I hope he does more.

Smith's most impactful attribute right now is exactly what most have written: he gets such a clean release and strides his way to take the top off a defense. The Arizona Cardinals use that smaller speedster guy (Isabella?) to do the same. It has ripple effects across the route combinations. Would love to see some underneath routes behind it.

Would love to see some of our guys sent across the field, too. Of course, that will require some trust in our OL and King to manage the pocket. I suspect we'll see more of that against the "lesser" upcoming defenses.
My apologies for misidentifying the route...Looked like a post to these amateur eyes. Point still stands that he and Harley were school yard open due to the double King caused.

Post game, I pretty sure King said they ran that play earlier and he didn’t find Harley, so they went back to it which may be why he didn’t throw down the seam.

Advertisement
Back