Keys to a win over Kentucky

No doubt we are getting respect in the media to have this as the prime time game of the night. Kentucky sees this as a measuring stick. No matter what happens we have come a long way. I for one see this as a toss up and it’s going to be quite a sight. GO Canes !

Also the Vegas odds should be out by now if anyone knows please post.

Advertisement
No doubt we are getting respect in the media to have this as the prime time game of the night. Kentucky sees this as a measuring stick. No matter what happens we have come a long way. I for one see this as a toss up and it’s going to be quite a sight. GO Canes !

I’ve seen us +5 on OddShark but not on DK yet

1701114974454.png

1701114954254.png

Their assistant coach Chuck Martin on youtube calls the Canes well connected had much praise for our ball club. So cool that Miami is the game they can’t wait for being a very good team coming to the bluegrass state. Miami will see how they match up being two similar types of teams.

Advertisement
Odds finally emerging...seem to be home team favored by 6.

Polls: We moved up to 8 they moved up to 12. This is a marquee matchup excitement in the air...

GO CANES!

Normally, I say stick to the usual recipe for success. Knock down open shots, defend, rebound and stay out of foul trouble. Those 4 things usually leads us to success. I think they'll still hold true tomorrow night, but there are 2 things in particular that I think we must do well. First, transition D can't be what we saw vs FIU. Kentucky pushes the ball on makes or misses, and they're playing their best ball when they do. Secondly, we're going to need our bench to give us some production. Doesn't seem to be much of a drop-off when they go to their bench, particularly with Dillingham. Matter of fact, the couple of times I've watched them this season they seem to play better when Dillingham comes in. Don't necessarily need our bench to match theirs point for point, but it can't be a lopsided affair neither.

Normally, I say stick to the usual recipe for success. Knock down open shots, defend, rebound and stay out of foul trouble. Those 4 things usually leads us to success. I think they'll still hold true tomorrow night, but there are 2 things in particular that I think we must do well. First, transition D can't be what we saw vs FIU. Kentucky pushes the ball on makes or misses, and they're playing their best ball when they do. Secondly, we're going to need our bench to give us some production. Doesn't seem to be much of a drop-off when they go to their bench, particularly with Dillingham. Matter of fact, the couple of times I've watched them this season they seem to play better when Dillingham comes in. Don't necessarily need our bench to match theirs point for point, but it can't be a lopsided affair neither.
You think we will be depending on our bench outside of foul trouble? Its gonna be hard to expect them to keep up with Dillingham/Sheppard as they can combine for 25+ easy.. I think it being lopsided is a given as we play our starters heavy minutes, still think we get W.

Whoever gets back on D and hits their threes wins. UK is streaky and Miami is more consistent from the outside. Rebounding will also be huge , keep them off the offensive boards. We don’t need to win the rebound margin just hold our own. That building will be electric and we’ll have to withstand a few runs but it’s a veteran team. I don’t see them getting rattled.

These are the games Pack , Poplar and Omier must show up big. Omier must be careful and stay out of foul trouble. Joseph as well. BJ’s d will be huge with their quick guards , just don’t pick up silly fouls.

How they shoot from three and how we defend it will be the game imo. If they’re on it’ll likely be an L. As I said they‘re very streaky.

The coaching advantage goes to Miami and by a good margin, Cal is not the best in game coach and any UK fan will tell you that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just bait them into a shootout is what I think L will do. They got guys who can shoot a little but no snipers by any means. But they fall in love with the contested 3 a bunch
Young gunna off the bench but Reed Sheppard I think would be classified as a sniper. He shooting like 65% from 3 but I have seen him pass up open looks too.. But he can knock em down

Advertisement
That’s a real concern.

But don’t discount the kind of talent Kentucky is gonna put on the floor. They lost to Kansas by 5 shooting 33% from the floor and 31.6% from deep.

Right now they have several guys averaging over 40% from three.

They could have one of those “can’t miss” nights and it would be awful tough for us to overcome.

On the other hand, I think experience and playmaking ability gives us the upper-hand on a night all else is equal.

Just fun to be part of a big time early season game.
They also led much of the game.

There is a reason they are -6 against us…with some of that of course the big home court advantage..but not only that.

We can beat them…just have to limit the sloppy play at times and as you said, keep Norchad out of foul trouble.

Young gunna off the bench but Reed Sheppard I think would be classified as a sniper. He shooting like 65% from 3 but I have seen him pass up open looks too.. But he can knock em down
Jeff Sheppard's kid definitely looks like a sniper. High percentage shooter with text book form.

You think we will be depending on our bench outside of foul trouble? Its gonna be hard to expect them to keep up with Dillingham/Sheppard as they can combine for 25+ easy.. I think it being lopsided is a given as we play our starters heavy minutes, still think we get W.
Yeah, I think it's going to be tough to beat this team on the road without any kind of production from the bench especially if someone gets into foul trouble. Need the bench to give us some quality minutes. Don't have to go +i+ for tat with Kentucky's bench but gotta get something. It can't be a lopsided affair where their bench outproduces us by 25+.

Advertisement

Not to nitpick, but this is confusing.

I don't think that "the prime time game of the night" is any sort of a reflection of "getting respect in the media". Quite simply, it is a game between #8 and #12. It is the ONLY game between ranked opponents the entire day.

Furthermore, Miami is the 4th highest ranked team playing tomorrow. The other "options" for a prime time game would be...

#1 Purdue (playing 0-6 Texas Southern)
#3 Marquette (playing 1-5 Southern)
#5 Kansas (playing 3-4 Eastern Illinois)

So, yeah, the "prime time game" is due to Miami-Kentucky being, BY FAR, the best game of the night.

I don't think that "the prime time game of the night" is any sort of a reflection of "getting respect in the media". Quite simply, it is a game between #8 and #12. It is the ONLY game between ranked opponents the entire day.

Furthermore, Miami is the 4th highest ranked team playing tomorrow. The other "options" for a prime time game would be...

So, yeah, the "prime time game" is due to Miami-Kentucky being, BY FAR, the best game of the night.
I think its more of whoever makes the schedules/tv pairing miami with kentucky in first place to actually get a premier showcase early in season. Usually we would be paired with like a rutgers in the challenges so they coulda paired us with vanderbilt or something.. and put us on espn ocho..

True

Advertisement
Back