Kevin Smith: Elite Feet and Elite Eyes

Our running game got significantly worse last year when Cam went down. We went from 4.3 ypc to 3.0 the rest of the year. The line was pretty poor and couldn’t get consistent push but the big difference was highlighted in this thread by @bshaw28. When the line was able to create a crease, Harris was able to capitalize with big runs. Where Knighton did not make the most of his big gain opportunities. Obviously it’s great if your line can dominate and open holes every time but that’s not really the case even for good running teams. You’re going to have your runs that have no chance right off the bat but when the hole does open up, running for four yards right into the nearest defender is just shooting yourself in the foot. I think our running game has the chance to be vastly better even if the line is average. Simply because we’ve got options at running back. Knighton can go back to being a 3rd down/ change of pace guy who gets 5 or 6 touches a game and we won’t have to rely on him to be the workhouse back.

Advertisement
I hope they actually have a line that can hold blocks long enough. I'm a simple man
Let’s also remember that we are going to play a lot of defense with 2 safeties deep after the year TVD had. So we will typically see no more than 6-7 in the box depending on how many receivers we have on the field. That should help the Oline similar to how teams had to keep 2 safeties back when Dorsey was the QB. Throw in a TE that can actually block when needed and we could have a real running game.

Agreed - I said later I don't think it's "vision" as much as it is "decision making". I don't think Knighton doesn't see things, it's more what he decides to do with what he sees.

He's 190 lbs running like he thinks he's 230 lbs. I'm hoping Smith can coach that out of him - but that's far from a given.

To your point - Knighton may be the offensive equivalent of Amari Carter & Jamal Carter.
He is.

I saw your post after where you agreed.

Im not gonna lie that cut he made against unc though was Devin Hester like because i was waiting on him to show that...and expecting him to try to truck the guy but he cut and exploded didnt lose a step it was crazy.

I always said Knighton is Duke-lite. Duke has the stiff hand and knows when to use the power...Rooster needs to learn that.

Our running game got significantly worse last year when Cam went down. We went from 4.3 ypc to 3.0 the rest of the year. The line was pretty poor and couldn’t get consistent push but the big difference was highlighted in this thread by @bshaw28. When the line was able to create a crease, Harris was able to capitalize with big runs. Where Knighton did not make the most of his big gain opportunities. Obviously it’s great if your line can dominate and open holes every time but that’s not really the case even for good running teams. You’re going to have your runs that have no chance right off the bat but when the hole does open up, running for four yards right into the nearest defender is just shooting yourself in the foot. I think our running game has the chance to be vastly better even if the line is average. Simply because we’ve got options at running back. Knighton can go back to being a 3rd down/ change of pace guy who gets 5 or 6 touches a game and we won’t have to rely on him to be the workhouse back.

****, that 4.3 to 3.0 ypc stat hurt. Rooster put on a heroic effort last year, but he can't do it by himself. But hey, the reinforcements have arrived.

He is.

Im not gonna lie that cut he made against unc though was Devin Hester like because i was waiting on him to show that...and expecting him to try to truck the guy but he cut and exploded didnt lose a step it was crazy.

I always said Knighton is Duke-lite. Duke has the stiff hand and knows when to use the power...Rooster needs to learn that.

100%. Duke knew when to use power. Sort of like Cam below when he had no way out.

CamRon_Harris__2019_Miami_Hurricanes_Highlights_.gif

Advertisement
Great point! In 2021:

Knighton - 145 carries vs ACC teams. Had 3 20+ yd carries
Cam Harris - 20 carries vs ACC teams. Had 3 20+ yd carries

It's a hard pill to swallow - but Knighton has actually been our least explosive runner since Mike James. His big plays have been in the passing game.

This Cam run vs UNC shows the combo of strength + decision making that we missed once Knighton became our only option. Unfortunately it's also the run where Cam got hurt.

It's hard to see - but Cam uses a stiff arm at the LOS (Knighton may have been arm tackled here). Then instead of running full speed ahead, Cam looks around and sees he can cut back in under the TE's block. Another stiff arm in the open field gets him another 6-7 yds. 22 yd run largely created by Cam.

1649334417548.png

Last edited:
He is.

I agree that cut vs UNC was epic, and the jets he put on shows his elite speed.

My concern is - so what's the 2nd best cut of his career? Knighton's got 200 carries now, and I can't really find even a 2nd "wow" type of cut.

I know Duke keeps getting thrown out as a comparison, and that's what everyone wants. But the results have been much more Graig Cooper, and in reality that's likely the more accurate comparison.

In 2021:

Knighton - 145 carries vs ACC teams. Had 3 20+ yd carries
Cam Harris - 20 carries vs ACC teams. Had 3 20+ yd carries

It's a hard pill to swallow - but Knighton has actually been our least explosive runner since Mike James. His big plays have been in the passing game.

This Cam run vs UNC shows the combo of strength + decision making that we missed once Knighton became our only option. Unfortunately it's also the run where Cam got hurt.

It's hard to see - but Cam uses a stiff arm at the LOS (Knighton may have been arm tackled here). Then instead of running full speed ahead, Cam looks around and sees he can cut back in under the TE's block. Another stiff arm in the open field gets him another 6-7 yds. 22 yd run largely created by Cam.

View attachment 181249
I made this point in an earlier thread when people were pinning the struggles in the running game solely on the play calling.

I’ll make no claim about Miami being consistently good at running the ball in recent years. It’s been hit and miss. But…for the first year and a half under Rhett Lashlee, the running game was statistically “not bad”. We’re talking about ~160 yards per game at a ~4.3 clip. Right in the middle of FBS programs. The second half of 2021 with no running backs besides Knighton, the numbers tumbled to ~90 yards per game and ~3.0 yards per carry. Same offense, same line, same ply caller. If anything the passing game got much better under TVD and should have opened up the running game even more but that didn’t happen.

I don’t want it to look like I’m bashing Jaylon because he’s obviously got some strengths to his game (notably pass catching) but he is not an FBS starting running back. At least judging by the work he’s gotten in 2 years here.

I made this point in an earlier thread when people were pinning the struggles in the running game solely on the play calling.

I’ll make no claim about Miami being consistently good at running the ball in recent years. It’s been hit and miss. But…for the first year and a half under Rhett Lashlee, the running game was statistically “not bad”. We’re talking about ~160 yards per game at a ~4.3 clip. Right in the middle of FBS programs. The second half of 2021 with no running backs besides Knighton, the numbers tumbled to ~90 yards per game and ~3.0 yards per carry. Same offense, same line, same ply caller. If anything the passing game got much better under TVD and should have opened up the running game even more but that didn’t happen.

I don’t want it to look like I’m bashing Jaylon because he’s obviously got some strengths to his game (notably pass catching) but he is not an FBS starting running back. At least judging by the work he’s gotten in 2 years here.
Definitely. It's not like our OL all of the sudden got worse when Knighton got in.

IMO I think going from a running QB in King to a pocket QB in TVD skews our overall team rushing numbers.

But even so - if you isolate just Cam vs Knighton - the gap remains over a yard difference both years:

2020 - Cam 5.1 ypc & Knighton 4.0 ypc
2021 - Cam 5.8 ypc & Knighton 3.9 ypc

If I had to do a ranking - I'd say Knighton is our best receiving RB, but only our 4th or 5th best running RB.

Advertisement
Knighton's credit score with me is in the 760 range strictly because he held up last season when he was literally our only option. Chaney as much as I love him and hope he puts it together just cant stay healthy and thats a huge knock for me. And as much as Thad has been playing well this Spring I am in "show me in the Fall and during the season" mode with him.

Being durable and available when your number is called goes along way in this sport. And Knighton showed that last year and didnt sink under the pressure of being the only guy. I hope he can take that "3rd year quantam leap" because IMO he is our most explosive RB and it might not be even close.
Pre injury Don was and still might be a better RB. He was also almost as fast and 20 pounds bigger.

If Don is healthy and can stay healthy he will be the starter. IMO

Definitely. It's not like our OL all of the sudden got worse when Knighton got in.

IMO I think going from a running QB in King to a pocket QB in TVD skews our overall team rushing numbers.

But even so - if you isolate just Cam vs Knighton - the gap remains over a yard difference both years:

2020 - Cam 5.1 ypc & Knighton 4.0 ypc
2021 - Cam 5.8 ypc & Knighton 3.9 ypc

If I had to do a ranking - I'd say Knighton is our best receiving RB, but only our 4th or 5th best running RB.
We still played 3 games with Cam and TVD in 2021. One was Central Connecticut so we’ll throw that out but we had over 150 yards rushing against UVA and UNC. So Miami was still capable of running the ball against ACC caliber opponents even without D’Eriq King.

This is all with Cam Harris, a solid but not elite option as the primary ball carrier. An elite talent at running back might be good for another 10+ yards per game. It goes back to the bigger point that unlike the NFL, running back talent is still a big deal in college.

We still played 3 games with Cam and TVD in 2021. One was Central Connecticut so we’ll throw that out but we had over 150 yards rushing against UVA and UNC. So Miami was still capable of running the ball against ACC caliber opponents even without D’Eriq King.

This is all with Cam Harris, a solid but not elite option as the primary ball carrier. An elite talent at running back might be good for another 10+ yards per game. It goes back to the bigger point that unlike the NFL, running back talent is still a big deal in college.
100% agree. I'd look at these 3 points:

1 - UVA/UNC - Cam 6.9 ypc & Knighton 4.3 ypc
2 - The OL has WAY more of an effect on a RB's performance at the NFL level than it does at the college level - couldn't agree with you more.
3 - Look at how bad 5 out of the 8 teams Knighton faced ranked in Run Defense.

VT - 91
UNC - 98
GT - 100
Duke - 116
UVA - 123

There's just no way our OL was getting overwhelmed by those teams and not opening any holes.

I feel like I'm starting to bash Knighton too much - so instead I'll say it's a shame Cam got hurt because IMO he could've put up some really big numbers last year. And I haven't been the biggest Cam fan - I agree with you he's just solid, not elite.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back