Kevin Smith: Elite Feet and Elite Eyes

100% agree with you. Knighton is a 190 lb RB who runs like he thinks he's 230. It's admirable, and he's tough as ****, but it isn't the smartest way to run.

Everyone here know our OL needs to improve - so need to post pics of runs that are getting stuffed. No one thinks differently.

The point of my posts is - what does Knighton (or any RB) do when he does have space to operate? There's a ton of examples where when he has space but he needs to make better decisions.

Maybe Coach Smith helps to get it to click for Knighton, maybe he doesn't. Maybe the OL opens more opportunities for Knighton to 1 on 1 with a defender and 5 yds to work with this year - but in the end it's on Knighton to make changes in order to take advantage of those opportunities.

Knighton has a lot of talent but needs to show more skill as a runner.

I was much higher on Parrish when they were both being recruited because I noticed the skill difference then. I was disappointed to find we were pressing for Knighton and slow playing Parrish. I am glad we eventually got him on the team.

Advertisement
Knighton has a lot of talent but needs to show more skill as a runner.

I was much higher on Parrish when they were both being recruited because I noticed the skill difference then. I was disappointed to find we were pressing for Knighton and slow playing Parrish. I am glad we eventually got him on the team.

I really like the pick-up of Parrish too. I could see 5 RB's (all except Brown) ending up as our best RB.

I've got no idea how the RB rotation is going to shake out.

Last edited:
You talked about the OL getting blown up - but here they open a big hole. This is different - it's an example of downfield/2nd level blocking.

I won't argue if Mallory does or doesn't make the right decision here - but a wider angle shows there's 2 defenders and he has to choose 1.

But say Mallory chooses wrong. The end result is he leaves Knighton 1 on 1 with a LB and 3-4 yds between them. This is a matchup we should want. But again, Knighton runs straight into the LB with no attempt at a making a move.

View attachment 180636

I can post multiple examples of Knighton doing this on runs, passes, and kick returns where there's plenty of room and Knighton makes no move.

I understand people not liking me as the source - so I'll show this post from Lance Roffers last year which is another example of Knighton needing to improve his vision - completely independent of OL/Scheme/Play calling.

View attachment 180637
I'm sure you're busy and don't have time but do this for Chaney and watch how much better his vision is. If we can get Don healthy he will take that starter spot and run with it.

Advertisement
Great feet. Not as explosive as Rooster but maybe a better "natural" runner. Can make defenders miss in tight spaces.

I'm glad he's here.
How do feel about Coach Smith? He’s the only guy on staff that I’m iffy about . I really don’t know how good of a coach he is but it’s just something about his vibe that’s a little off for me. I wonder if he has the make up to stay at UM long term.

I could be totally wrong and it wouldn’t be the first time but I respect your insight on these matters.

I'm sure you're busy and don't have time but do this for Chaney and watch how much better his vision is. If we can get Don healthy he will take that starter spot and run with it.

Here's an example of where IMO Chaney's vision/decision making is better

When Chaney has 5 yds between him and the defender - He cuts at an angle so they can't get a clean shot, and does a better job at keeping his head up and getting good lean, but not leaning too far forward.

When Knighton has 5 yds between him and the defender - Too often he has room to cut, but heads directly at the defender, and he tends to lean too far forward in anticipation of contact. Even if the defender completely misses, Knighton would just fall down.

1649166746269.png

1649167024268.png

Again I'm not trying to say Knighton sucks - just showing things IMO he can work on to be more effective.

I don't think it's "vision" as much as it is "decision making". I don't think Knighton doesn't see things, it's more what he decides to do with what he sees.

I'd say to Knighton - work on keeping your head up, and cutting into space to try to avoid/slide off tacklers instead of trying to go straight through them.

Last edited:

When Chaney has 5 yds between him and the defender - He cuts at an angle so they can't get a clean shot, and does a better job at keeping his head up and getting good lean, but not leaning too far forward.

When Knighton has 5 yds between him and the defender - Too often he has room to cut, but heads directly at the defender, and he tends to lean too far forward in anticipation of contact. Even if the defender completely misses, Knighton would just fall down.

View attachment 181101

View attachment 181103

Again I'm not trying to say Knighton sucks - just showing things IMO he can work on to be more effective.

I don't think it's "vision" as much as it is "decision making". I don't think Knighton doesn't see things, it's more what he decides to do with what he sees.

I'd say to Knighton - work on keeping your head up, and cutting into space to try to avoid/slide of tacklers instead of trying to go straight through them.

agreed, but to his credit Knighton got better last year, especially towards the end of the year. i expect him to make dinosaur leaps with Kevin Smith.

View attachment 181101

View attachment 181103

I'd say to Knighton - work on keeping your head up, and cutting into space to try to avoid/slide of tacklers instead of trying to go straight through them.
As someone who loves Knighton, this is a great explanation of how he runs.

It’s hard to determine what kind of vision he had because to your point, kind of like Homer, he makes the decision to hit the defender.

Whether it be to set the tone, to show it’s something he’s capable of, or something else, would love to see him take advantage of his natural build and speed advantages.

Advertisement

View attachment 181101

View attachment 181103

Knighton wanted to lay the hit stick on FSU... can't knock him for getting emotional and wanting to truck them boys.

It’s hard to determine what kind of vision he had because to your point, kind of like Homer, he makes the decision to hit the defender.

Whether it be to set the tone, to show it’s something he’s capable of, or something else, would love to see him take advantage of his natural build and speed advantages.

Homer is a great comparison because both were smaller RB's who loved smashing into defenders at full speed. Both had no fear.

The subtle advantages each had when comparing them IMO:

Knighton - Looks a notch faster and can make quicker cuts (but for whatever reason chooses not to) where Homer needed more gather steps in his cuts. I do think Knighton's cutting ability is being slightly overrated. I'd say it's really good but not elite.

Homer - Would make more moves and string together multiple moves more often (Knighton has been more one cut and go). Homer had a stiff arm and 10 more lbs. which made his physicality more effective (Homer was better at breaking arm tackles for instance).

Knighton wanted to lay the hit stick on FSU... can't knock him for getting emotional and wanting to truck them boys.

Knighton is tough as **** and I respect how he has no hesitation is laying the wood.

Problem is he's trying to stick everyone. He just needs to pick and choose his spots better.

Right now he's leaving too many yards on the table, and taking on too much self-inflicted wear and tear that could be avoided.

You talked about the OL getting blown up - but here they open a big hole. This is different - it's an example of downfield/2nd level blocking.

I won't argue if Mallory does or doesn't make the right decision here - but a wider angle shows there's 2 defenders and he has to choose 1.

But say Mallory chooses wrong. The end result is he leaves Knighton 1 on 1 with a LB and 3-4 yds between them. This is a matchup we should want. But again, Knighton runs straight into the LB with no attempt at a making a move.

View attachment 180636

I can post multiple examples of Knighton doing this on runs, passes, and kick returns where there's plenty of room and Knighton makes no move.

I understand people not liking me as the source - so I'll show this post from Lance Roffers last year which is another example of Knighton needing to improve his vision - completely independent of OL/Scheme/Play calling.

View attachment 180637
I dont even think its vision with Rooster On the runs you showed.

From watching him a bit from his jr year in high school...He is actively seeking out contact and trying to run guys over. He runs violently on his frame to be honest. Now that can be coached out of him...its the south florida effect of guys going for the OOH AHH int he crowd...you see it with some of our young defenders early on as well.

Advertisement
It is going to be a whole lot of fun to see who is our leading rusher by year's end.
I would not be surprised by anybody's name except for maybe Citizen and Brown.
As for touches Parrish and Rooster can be utilized so much in the passing game. Chaney can too as we saw by the end of the '20 season but I think he will not be lined up all around the field like the other two guys.
Thad is a thumper and loves contact so the staff may like him a lot too. I'd just be happy if he proves to be money in short yardage and goal line packages but he can do so much more than that.

Then there are people saying Citizen can come in and get some touches.
I like Brown but people are saying he may be the odd one out. But we shall see.

Last edited:

And his ability to cut on a dime.

i find it curious that during his presser yesterday, Kevin Smith mentioned that he looks for elite feet and elite eyes in running backs. he mentioned that Parrish has those two qualities. Chaney has both. Rooster certainly improved his eyes from year one to year two.

another point. i am impressed with Smith's communication skills. he isn't spewing coach speak.

I can't help but compare Henry Parrish to Gio Bernard.

Small legs, big burst, great vision, etc.

Is Parrish the most efficient/versatile runner on our roster?

Lol, we are stacked at the RB position. I'm praying none of the kids transfer prematurely.

Advertisement
I dont even think its vision with Rooster On the runs you showed.

From watching him a bit from his jr year in high school...He is actively seeking out contact and trying to run guys over. He runs violently on his frame to be honest. Now that can be coached out of him...its the south florida effect of guys going for the OOH AHH int he crowd...you see it with some of our young defenders early on as well.

Agreed - I said later I don't think it's "vision" as much as it is "decision making". I don't think Knighton doesn't see things, it's more what he decides to do with what he sees.

He's 190 lbs running like he thinks he's 230 lbs. I'm hoping Smith can coach that out of him - but that's far from a given.

To your point - Knighton may be the offensive equivalent of Amari Carter & Jamal Carter.

Last edited:
Knighton's credit score with me is in the 760 range strictly because he held up last season when he was literally our only option. Chaney as much as I love him and hope he puts it together just cant stay healthy and thats a huge knock for me. And as much as Thad has been playing well this Spring I am in "show me in the Fall and during the season" mode with him.

Being durable and available when your number is called goes along way in this sport. And Knighton showed that last year and didnt sink under the pressure of being the only guy. I hope he can take that "3rd year quantam leap" because IMO he is our most explosive RB and it might not be even close.

I can't help but compare Henry Parrish to Gio Bernard.

Small legs, big burst, great vision, etc.

Is Parrish the most efficient/versatile runner on our roster?

Lol, we are stacked at the RB position. I'm praying none of the kids transfer prematurely.
I hope they actually have a line that can hold blocks long enough. I'm a simple man

Advertisement
Back