Keontra Smith

I never said he couldn’t. I said he’s a perfect fit for striker because coverage isn’t his strong suit...maybe you should’ve read the entire thread.

So let’s get this straight. According to you, the rover (who is a safety or small backer) is the guy who is required to be strong in coverage? What about the free safety?

Look kid, you had zero clue what you were talking about. You thought Jaquan played free safety.

Advertisement
So let’s get this straight. According to you, the rover (who is a safety or small backer) is the guy who is required to be strong in coverage? What about the free safety?

Look kid, you had zero clue what you were talking about. You thought Jaquan played free safety.
The Rover is the guy who follows around the best offensive player on the field who ever the **** it is...he plays outside, inside, and even in the box if that’s where the guy is lined up...he literally hovers over the field. Keontra isn’t a cover guy. He’s a thumper and is a lot better playing in the box...that’s why he fits striker ALOT better.

If Tyrique Stevenson commits tomorrow he would be a Rover.

If Jordan Battle commits tomorrow he would be a Rover.

Advertisement
The Rover is the guy who follows around the best offensive player on the field who ever the **** it is...he plays outside, inside, and even in the box if that’s where the guy is lined up...he literally hovers over the field. Keontra isn’t a cover guy. He’s a thumper and is a lot better playing in the box...that’s why he fits striker ALOT better.

Yeah that’s not how Jaquan is used at all. He doesn’t just “follow around” the best offensive player. Did you google “rover” after you realized that Jaquan doesn’t play free safety?

He also does not “literally” hover over the field. Stop using words if you don’t know what they mean.

What would Sean Taylor be?
Great question actually, he could play all three of free, rover and striker and be elite at them. One thing I’ve seen from Diaz is that he wants flexibility from all his DBs. He wants his CBS to be able to play S if called upon and I’d imagine he wants versatile safieties that an switch up also. That way he can change coverage looks pre snap and even after the snap. K Smith looks like a perfect striker but has enough fluidity to play a standard safety. Idea is to confuse the defense as much as possible. It’s probably why there is talk about Solomon or Huff playing striker, more flexibility. Confuse the **** out of the offense.

Great question actually, he could play all three of free, rover and striker and be elite at them. One thing I’ve seen from Diaz is that he wants flexibility from all his DBs. He wants his CBS to be able to play S if called upon and I’d imagine he wants versatile safieties that an switch up also. That way he can change coverage looks pre snap and even after the snap. K Smith looks like a perfect striker but has enough fluidity to play a standard safety. Idea is to confuse the defense as much as possible. It’s probably why there is talk about Solomon or Huff playing striker, more flexibility. Confuse the **** out of the offense.

Whoever plays striker, just don’t let them get roasted on coverage like 53 did last year...

Advertisement
I've been watching film on Chaminade for the past couple days and he flashes everywhere. First thing I thought while watching the film was the Striker position.

I've been watching film on Chaminade for the past couple days and he flashes everywhere. First thing I thought while watching the film was the Striker position.

The striker position is a LB who can cover in passing situations, K. Smith will be our next version of JJ4..

Advertisement
Last I was told, UM wants him as a traditional safety. Although my opinion was that he'd make a great striker
Straight from the horse's mouth.
images.jpeg

I don't think we can judge Smith as being limited or lacking in coverage ability. He plays LB for his HS team because he can most affect the game at that level from the LB spot. Dude is a heat seeking missile. He had 37 tfls last season! That's more than most elite DE prospects get!

But, he did play deep safety as a sophomore and looked good doing it. He also has done the whole camp circuit all the way through the Opening finals and the 7-on-7 circuit (on the best team) playing DB and I haven't seen any reports indicating that Smith was out of place in coverage or deep in space. So, I think he has some more coverage ability to offer than what his HS LB role showcases.

Advertisement
Smh

The Stricker is the same as the Sam. The coaches just said so.

....meaning they'll get the Sam off the field if he doesn't do a good job in the striker role, right?

Some are obviously overthinking things.... when all they probably have to think about is
uptempo RUN vs. PASS.

It's obviously not a "new" role to combat the Run,..but rather to play the pass, especially when
it's hurry up and you don't have very long to play with substitution and you'd like the faster, more
mobile SAM or tougher, block-shedding safety to be put out there on an island in a pinch in 4-2-5 alignment.

RUN:
robber_runs.png

425_split_diff_runs.png

PASS:
robber_pass_drops.png

425_split_diff_drops.png

If no one's up to the task @ "striker" for the Y receiver,...You're potentially taking a capable LB off the field
and showing your hand with a true nickel corner that offenses will have fun adjusting to.

So you don't want to give up size and and strength as the Y goes inline or on run downs if you don't have to.

Then as if your nickel or "striker" isin't up to the task between the tackles,...you're trying sub your traditional
SAM back in for your "4-3" alignment. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:
The striker position is a LB who can cover in passing situations, K. Smith will be our next version of JJ4..

I know WTF a Striker is.

He's a hybrid player. Part Safety, part Linebacker.
More agile than the typical Linebacker, more physical than the typical Safety.
Body-wise he's just an undersized LB.

If you've ever watched Smith play (and I'm watching actual game film right now) he's basically already playing the position. Chaminade has him all over the field, especially in the box.

TCU has been utilizing the position for years. If you run split-field coverages you need a guy/position like this.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back