Keontra Smith

Faster doesn’t mean he’s a free...coverage ability makes you a free. Keontra is a thumper not a cover guy
I'm in agreement with you on this one Z but I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by Smith's fluidity, movement in space and overall coverage ability. Having said that, I don't think he fits the role of the typical roaming, ball hawking free safety. I feel this will be especially true going forward. The staff may think that Smith fits into what Jaquan does as of right now but after one year in the S&C program under Gus I envision him as the perfect type to be a striker.

Advertisement
Nice headline and article in the Herald today, too. I read the online edition - can't pick up the link to copy.

Headline reads "UM Commit Helps Chaminade Top Columbus"

Advertisement
That’s hilarious, on that stick on the swing pass you hear the announcer go “Offff Coñio!!!”
Only way to know if a player is good in the 305. If you hear “offff Conio” offer a scholly.

Advertisement
Lmfao. My god you are so clueless...redwine is the free safety.
Said the WOAT....You know the entire idea of adding a striker is to basically play with 2 frees while the striker acts as the box right? If you weren’t a halfwit when it came to football you would know that.

I don’t know why the **** you try to challenge me or anyone for that matter. You go around talking **** about people but you can’t talk football yourself...you’re like the F- version on Chise.

Said the WOAT....You know the entire idea of adding a striker is to basically play with 2 frees while the striker acts as the box right? If you weren’t a halfwit when it came to football you would know that

I don’t know why the **** you try to challenge me or anyone for that matter. You go around talking **** about people but you can’t talk football yourself...you’re like the F- version on Chise.

You are amoron. Adding the “striker” to deal with quicker guys on non-obvious passing downs does not turn Jaquan Johnson into a free safety. Jaquan has never been a free safety here. Yet according to you, he has been the “free roaming safety.”

in 2016 Jaquan was basically playing the “striker” position himself. You don’t know anything about football so drop the argument right now. Redwine is the free safety.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s amazing how @Zbrod95 is the only one who knows the REAL position Jaquan plays.

Miami in strong position to flip Kentucky S commit

There are a handful of roles he might make sense for Smith with the Hurricanes. If Miami commits to its new 4-2-5, Smith could be an option at striker, the Hurricanes’ hybrid linebacker-safety position. He is also a logical fit at rover, which has been helmed excellently by Jaquan Johnson the last few seasons. The defensive back is coming up on his senior year, so Miami will be looking for a long-term successor in the Class of 2019.

Like the Hurricanes, the Wolverines are looking at Smith for some non-traditional positions. Michigan uses its own hybrid position — the Wolverines call it the viper — and Jabrill Peppers even earned Heisman Trophy attention at the spot in 2016.

“That’s exactly what they want to use me as. They want to use me as a Jabrill Peppers, the viper position,” said Smith, who will also play running back for Chaminade-Madonna. “The viper plays a lot. They do a lot of blitzing, man-to-man coverage on the slot and also the deep end. They do it all.”

At this point, Smith doesn’t prefer one role — viper or rover — over the other.

It’s the same position as Jaquan Johnson,” Smith said of Miami’s pitched position. “There’s a lot going on in the rover. I like the rover, too. It’s nothing I don’t like about that position. I love the rover. It’s almost similar to the viper. It’s all the same, it’s just the different coverages.”

You are a ******* moron. Adding the “striker” to deal with quicker guys on non-obvious passing downs does not turn Jaquan Johnson into a free safety. Jaquan has never been a free safety here. Yet according to you, he has been the “free roaming safety.”

in 2016 Jaquan was basically playing the “striker” position himself. You don’t know anything about football so drop the argument right now. Redwine is the free safety.

YouZ DoNtS KNowS AnyTInG BoUTs FUtBoL

- the whole is idea of the striker is adding a bigger 5th DB to act as LB. It’s really for pass coverage and take away yardage on dump passes/slot throws...adding speed is a benefit

- doesn’t realize if both safeties don’t act as Free Safeties(that’s why it’s called Rover, not box) and one plays in the box then you play cover 1 the entire game and will be picked apart by 10 yard outs and in and outs.

- Diaz doesn’t add the striker til 2017 but Jaquan was “basically” playing it (it’s called Nickel back bud)

- The “Rover” back is usually a safety or small backer and the guy who follows the best offensive player on the field essentially making him a free roaming safety.

YouZ DoNtS KNowS AnyTInG BoUTs FUtBoL

- the whole is idea of the striker is adding a bigger 5th DB to act as LB. It’s really for pass coverage and take away yardage on dump passes/slot throws...adding speed is a benefit

- doesn’t realize if both safeties don’t act as Free Safeties(that’s why it’s called Rover, not box) and one plays in the box then you play cover 1 the entire game and will be picked apart by 10 yard outs and in and outs.

- Diaz doesn’t add the striker til 2017 but Jaquan was “basically” playing it (it’s called Nickel back bud)

- The “Rover” back is usually a safety or small backer and the guy who follows the best offensive player on the field essentially making him a free roaming safety.

LOL. I’ll get to the rest of your mealy-mouthed, made up on the fly horse**** post later. It is truly hilarious to watch you make stuff up as you go because you have no idea what you’re talking about.

But let’s start with your last “point.” Is it your contention that Keontra Smith can’t play the “rover” position here? Because that’s exactly what you said earlier—that Smith wasn’t the “free roaming safety.” Yet according to you (now), the rover (safety or small backer) is actually the “free roaming safety.”— which is the exact position Smith is coming here to play. Which is it?

Advertisement
LOL. I’ll get to the rest of your mealy-mouthed, made up on the fly horse**** post later. It is truly hilarious to watch you make stuff up as you go because you have no idea what you’re talking about.

But let’s start with your last “point.” Is it your contention that Keontra Smith can’t play the “rover” position here? Because that’s exactly what you said earlier—that Smith wasn’t the “free roaming safety.” Yet according to you (now), the rover (safety or small backer) is actually the “free roaming safety.”— which is the exact position Smith is coming here to play. Which is it?
Do you even know the difference between a striker and a Rover?

Is it your contention that Keontra Smith can’t play the rover position here?
I never said he couldn’t. I said he’s a perfect fit for striker because coverage isn’t his strong suit...maybe you should’ve read the entire thread.

Answer my question. Do you know the difference between the two positions mentioned?

Advertisement
Back