Keontra Smith

randolph herndon

Freshman
Banned
Advertisement
I like him, and I can see why Manny likes him because he can strike and would be a good take BUT

I like a few more CB's OVER him. Just like last year, there seems to be quite a few combo DB's that could line up at different spots. Sanguinetti, Stevenson, this kid, even Richards could play corner or safety if asked.

Advertisement
Smith has a well built frame for a db 5’11 and close to 200 pounds and has excellent speed and ran in the 4.5 ranges at the opening combine which is faster than what most players ran that despite being much lighter than him

Last edited:
Kentucky vs Miami, Miami will that battle 9/10 times, whether this kid is a priority is different question

Think he's more of a S or a CB? I think we really need to bring in at last one lockdown CB.

Advertisement
But what position will he play? Thats my question.
I feel like he's similar to Diamante Howard in that he's a tweener. I guess the big difference is Keontra Smith is faster, and will likely be safety, while Howard will be a LB.

I'm not sure if he's a take at the moment. I feel like he's option B. A good option, but not the priority.

Smith has a well built frame for a db 5’11 and close to 200 pounds and has excellent speed and rand in the 4.5 ranges at the opening combine which is faster than what most players ran that despite being much lighter than him

I wonder if he could be a Roquan Smith type of player in college.

Smith has a well built frame for a db 5’11 and close to 200 pounds and has excellent speed and rand in the 4.5 ranges at the opening combine which is faster than what most players ran that despite being much lighter than him

Sounds like he might be shorter than ideal but will be extremely physical in press coverage and knock wrs on their asses. In a real Miami 4-3 defense, the CBs should be playing tight 1 on 1 coverage and physically forcing wrs outside so that the only pass option is a perfectly thrown deep pass dropped in over the shoulder (a low percentage pass). Really doesn't matter if the CB is 6'2'"or 5'11", his main job is to push the WRs to the sidelines and run with them step for step.

Advertisement
S or LB right? Can't see corner here
He can play safety here, he’s bigger and faster than Jaquan Johnson was coming out of high school. He had one of the fastest times of any skill players including several dbs and skill players we are recruiting even though he’s 195-200 Pounds

I feel like he's similar to Diamante Howard in that he's a tweener. I guess the big difference is Keontra Smith is faster, and will likely be safety, while Howard will be a LB.

I'm not sure if he's a take at the moment. I feel like he's option B. A good option, but not the priority.

Smith is a far better athlete than Howard. He's 20 lbs heavier and runs .3 faster in the 40. He's a consensus 4* whose one of the best size/speed guys in South Florida.

I'm not sure he's a CB, but we can't afford to pass on DBs like him.

Advertisement

At the moment I believe this assessment to be accurate. Kid is a Safety prospect to me but yes he could play CB if needed. The bottom line is however that if we hit our targets at CB Smith won't need to play CB here. So the question is if Smith can land a commitable offer based on his potential at S.

Advertisement
Back