Kendrick Norton go fund me

Advertisement
I did some research on this and found the NFL will pay an active player who suffers a "total and permanent" injury $165,000 per year.

Here's the catch: the NFL and its insurance coverage, sadly, DOES NOT WANT TO PAY. Look up Charles Dimry and his lawsuit against the NFL (Dimry v. Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Ret. Plan, 16-CV-01413-JD, 2016 WL 7971198, at *1 (N.D. Cal. June 14, 2016)). The NFL alleged that Dimry's cervical injuries weren't "total" because he could work a desk job. Well, a lot of people with only one arm work desk jobs so it's very possible the NFL and its coverage will attempt to deny Norton on that same basis. The league giveth no fvcks.

That **** Goodell better have a plan...

I understand your concern the bottom line is any money raised is gonna help Kendrick out. I doubt the NFL is gonna support him for life and it’s gonna be a tough transition for him. Either donate or don’t just don’t turn this into a debate about the merits of FRM trying to set up a fund to assist Kendrick because it’s beside the point
The education and degree he received from the University of Miami should... never mind

Here is what’s making my spidey sense tingle. The gofundme page was initially set up by FRM to specifically cover all surgeries, rehab, the prosthetic, etc and the ask was $395,000.

The NFL stepped up to cover all medical costs /rehab /prosthetic, etc for nearly $400,000, which mitigated the initial “ask”. After confirming the NFL would cover all costs, FRM reversed course updated the gofundme page in an effort to give $150,000 cash to Norton, because his football career is over??

I know I might seem like an @ss for saying this, but something just don’t feel right about this. I’m not trying to being callous, I’m just looking at this in a level - headed way.

Assisting with medical bills assuming he were uninsured and had no way to pay for those bills ate one thing, but moving the goal posts and asking everyone to give him straight cash after we’ve confirmed all medical costs would be covered is quite another. He lost an arm, and it’s terrible, but that won’t keep him from being gainfully employee in the future. And I grew up my entire childhood and most of my adult life with a disabled parent, so I have a soft spot for anyone disabled, and I have some perspective on this.
You typed all that and did that much thinking over $10 to $20 dollars?

Advertisement
Not meant to hijack this thread but if you want to donate to a go fund me for someone with similar medical bills who needs all the help he can get, please PM me.

I did some research on this and found the NFL will pay an active player who suffers a "total and permanent" injury $165,000 per year.

Here's the catch: the NFL and its insurance coverage, sadly, DOES NOT WANT TO PAY. Look up Charles Dimry and his lawsuit against the NFL (Dimry v. Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Ret. Plan, 16-CV-01413-JD, 2016 WL 7971198, at *1 (N.D. Cal. June 14, 2016)). The NFL alleged that Dimry's cervical injuries weren't "total" because he could work a desk job. Well, a lot of people with only one arm work desk jobs so it's very possible the NFL and its coverage will attempt to deny Norton on that same basis. The league giveth no fvcks.

That’s actually a pretty solid deal. Sounds like he still gets partial disability

That’s actually a pretty solid deal. Sounds like he still gets partial disability
Unfortunately, for a non-football related injury it's all or nothing. The injury has to be "total and permanent" to get the $165k per year. I don't believe there is a partial disability payment a player is entitled to for non-football related injuries from what I read.

They'd know by now if he was drinking and driving and contributed to the accident. It's telling neither the NFL nor the Dolphins are saying they'll cover anything other than the surgeries. Don't expect them to just pony up his contract, let alone the $165k per year for life.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, for a non-football related injury it's all or nothing. The injury has to be "total and permanent" to get the $165k per year. I don't believe there is a partial disability payment a player is entitled to for non-football related injuries from what I read.

They'd know by now if he was drinking and driving and contributed to the accident. It's telling neither the NFL nor the Dolphins are saying they'll cover anything other than the surgeries. Don't expect them to just pony up his contract, let alone the $165k per year for life.

If no partial, then that’s not a good deal. Especially for an athlete.

If no partial, then that’s not a good deal. Especially for an athlete.
There are 3 types of NFL disability benefits to protect current and former players:

1. Total and Permanent: apparently the threshold is extremely high to meet and the player must be unable to engage in any occupation, not just football. Obviously, loss of an arm would in all likelihood not satisfy this criteria. It is payable for life or until the individual has recovered.

2. Line of Duty: speaks for itself, not something that Norton would be eligible for since it didn't happen on the field.

3. Neurocognitive Disability: can be provided to former players as well as active. CTE related.

This is great (relatively speaking, of course) news.

In the world of p-r, this means there is absolutely no convenient "out" for the Dolphins/NFL to wash their hands of this kid. No drugs/alcohol at play and not even an accusation of excessive speed.

Advertisement
The Permanent and total decision will be made by an insurance company in all likelihood and not the NFL. Loss of an arm is not a total disability.

The Permanent and total decision will be made by an insurance company in all likelihood and not the NFL. Loss of an arm is not a total disability.

I think his current deal was slated to pay him $500k in 2019. One would think the Dolphins could at least honor that as the kid has more surgeries and gets the prosthetic. That gives him some financial stability and buys them some relatively cheap good publicity too.

Advertisement
I sincerely wish to make a donation for a worthy individual. With that said, providing access to a credit card for payment raises questions that I do not have answers for.

Please furnish a PayPal funding account feature.

If he gets $165K per year for life, he would be way better off financially than if he had a normal length NFL career. And it's not even close.

This is true, but no chance he gets that. He can easily get another job with 1 arm. That is for people that get turned into vegetables playing football.

Advertisement
Back