Kendal Briles education

The criticisms of Kendal are valid.

Here’s the caveat, between Kendal, Joe Brady & Ken Dorsey, which of the 3 has the least amount of valid criticisms as it pertains to their play calling as an OC?

Well, one of them has never been an OC or called plays & the other wasn’t an OC in college, but is credited with LSU’s historic offensive success & parlayed that into a NFL OC job only to be subsequently fired shortly thereafter.

In terms of experience, Kendal as a play caller is vastly more experienced than both Brady & Dorsey.

His style of offense being the Veer & Shoot isn’t necessarily an Innocent OJ glove fit for our personnel, but he however has displayed versatility in his career being able to adjust & adapt to several different styles of QB’s while he probably rather prefers to have a mobile QB.

Briles has had success at every stop in which he’s been an OC & there’s proven evidence that his plays work & have repeatedly worked, so the only drawback really is what he would do with an all-conference caliber QB & a ton of speed & young playmakers at WR & TE.

Briles isn’t my top choice, but I’m on board fully with him as OC because that’s as innovative & creative as we’re going to get with an OC with Mario at the helm. If you examine all the previous OC’s Mario has had at FIU & Oregon, Briles is about 100 miles ahead of all of them & as far outside the box he would have ever gone if Briles ends up getting hired.

Bring him here all day & figure out the rest later, trust me, we can do a whole **** of a lot worse than Briles.

Advertisement
The argument of they improved when he got there and declined when he left doesn’t do much for me. It’s like, my son was getting F’s but got this new tutor and not he’s in the D-C range. The tutor left and now he’s a F again. But ****, I didn’t pay the tutor to be in the D-C range. I expected to get to the Bs or As with how much I am paying.

A tutor can’t turn your dumbass son into Einstein.

All a tutor can do is maximize what your son is capable of doing.

If you’re paying him to do anything else, you’re wasting your money.

Same thing with an OC.

Here’s the caveat, between Kendal, Joe Brady & Ken Dorsey, which of the 3 has the least amount of valid criticisms as it pertains to their play calling as an OC?

Well, one of them has never been an OC or called plays & the other wasn’t an OC in college, but is credited with LSU’s historic offensive success & parlayed that into a NFL OC job only to be subsequently fired shortly thereafter.

In terms of experience, Kendal as a play caller is vastly more experienced than both Brady & Dorsey.

His style of offense being the Veer & Shoot isn’t necessarily an Innocent OJ glove fit for our personnel, but he however has displayed versatility in his career being able to adjust & adapt to several different styles of QB’s while he probably rather prefers to have a mobile QB.

Briles has had success at every stop in which he’s been an OC & there’s proven evidence that his plays work & have repeatedly worked, so the only drawback really is what he would do with an all-conference caliber QB & a ton of speed & young playmakers at WR & TE.

Briles isn’t my top choice, but I’m on board fully with him as OC because that’s as innovative & creative as we’re going to get with an OC with Mario at the helm. If you examine all the previous OC’s Mario has had at FIU & Oregon, Briles is about 100 miles ahead of all of them & as far outside the box he would have ever gone if Briles ends up getting hired.

Bring him here all day & figure out the rest later, trust me, we can do a whole **** of a lot worse than Briles.

Kind of where I’m at too as far as it being deeper than just KB, a hiring of him would show me, unequivocally, that Mario is adapting and evolving. Kendal for a couple years would be a home run, as you and I have agreed on forever. But we’re hoping Mario is going to be here for 10 or 20 years, him hiring Briles would give me a lot of optimism long-term. It’d show me he’s not a stubborn POS who is unwilling to think outside his own head.

I went in to reading this feeling like Briles was trash. I read the whole thing. Good write up by the way.

I came away kind of unmoved to be honest. His best offenses were at Baylor and 2 G5 schools all of which the head coach was a known offensive guru at the time.

At FSU they were trash, you can throw all the stats and whatever else you want at me, but I watched with my eyes and he was trash.

Arkansas numbers are mediocre at best.

The argument of they improved when he got there and declined when he left doesn’t do much for me. It’s like, my son was getting F’s but got this new tutor and not he’s in the D-C range. The tutor left and now he’s a F again. But ****, I didn’t pay the tutor to be in the D-C range. I expected to get to the Bs or As with how much I am paying.

I just don’t see it. No matter how many compelling arguments everyone makes for this guy, I’m just not feeling it.

That being said, if hired I will absolutely root for the guy to do great things. I obviously want all of our coaches to do good here and root for their success until the day they leave. I hope he proves me wrong, but I’m still skeptical.
So no matter what. You're not gonna change your mind about Briles being trash? Seriously? Dude,
don't be the, imma be a fan later guy. It's never a good look. When I read a post like yours, where someone is acting like they're convinced everyone else is wrong about something or someone, it screams that you're the, I told you so guy as well. You may not be either one of those guys. I'm just trying to give a fellow Canes fan a heads up to let ya know it's not a good look. Speaking of heads up, Briles is far from being trash brother. You're pretty much on a deserted island with that take.

So no matter what. You're not gonna change your mind about Briles being trash? Seriously? Dude,
don't be the, imma be a fan later guy. It's never a good look. When I read a post like yours, where someone is acting like they're convinced everyone else is wrong about something or someone, it screams that you're the, I told you so guy as well. You may not be either one if those guys. I'm just trying to give a fellow Canes fan a heads up to let ya know it'snot a good look. Speaking of heads up, Briles is far from being trash brother. You're pretty much on a deserted island with that take.
I appreciate your response. It’s not that no one is going to change my mind, I just haven’t seen anything yet that does.

And no, I’m far from the I told you so crowd. If briles ends up being trash as our OC I’ll be too busy being sad about the state of the team to be telling people I told you so.

I’m just wanting to be convinced that he’s as good as everyone is making him out to be. Maybe he’s able to do that in the season, and I’ll be happy.

As far as being a fan later, I’ve never once wavered on my canes. I’ve never once rooted to lose or rooted against our success. I’ve never rooted for another college team. I’m rooting for us to do great things, I just haven’t liked Briles prior to our OC opening and that doesn’t magically change for me just because he’s our front running candidate.

Advertisement
Dude would be amazing with our talent and Mario's recruiting.

He also wouldn't dip after year 1 or 2 when something better came up
I like Briles but I do think his track record shows that if anything, he's out after a year or two.

Not that it matters because that'll happen just about with anyone we hire as OC and they have success....that's the true built-in advantage of having OFF gurus as HC like Lincoln Riley

LCE, what's your opinion of Briles in regards to his ability to recruit the qb position ?

As long as Briles understands he has a QB that can hit the downfield shots with ease, and doesn't take that away from him, I am fine with him. If he handcuffs one of the best passing QBs in the game by throwing 20 passes to the LOS, I'll probably not make it through the season alive. I get the shorter passes when you have an average to bad QB. When you have TVD, you let him soften up the D by going deep. By deep I don't just mean 50 yard bombs. TVD can sling it in the 20-30 yard range unlike any QB we've had in years. Please let him keep throwing downfield.

I know I sound petty n childish or Fandom but I don't like any coaches pictured wit upside down U! Can somebody post that picture, I can't find it!!

Advertisement
LCE, what's your opinion of Briles in regards to his ability to recruit the qb position ?
He’s recruited & signed Jarrett Stidham, Malik Hornsby, Zach Smith & Lucas Coley (Coley is gonna be really good at Ark in the future ).

He’s a good recruiter, he hasn’t really been anywhere long enough to really make a large footprint as a QB recruiter.

That’s a valid issue if someone isn’t very high on Briles, again he’s not my top choice, but considering the alternative I’ll take him all day, because if it’s not Briles, I don’t think we’d get another OC that’s as willing to adjust their offense to fit our personnel.

I’d rather take Briles with his flaws than be stuck with a “Pound the rock bro” any day.

I mean we can do a **** of a lot worse than all 3 of those "top 3" choices.

Advertisement
He’s recruited & signed Jarrett Stidham, Malik Hornsby, Zach Smith & Lucas Coley (Coley is gonna be really good at Ark in the future ).

He’s a good recruiter, he hasn’t really been anywhere long enough to really make a large footprint as a QB recruiter.

That’s a valid issue if someone isn’t very high on Briles, again he’s not my top choice, but considering the alternative I’ll take him all day, because if it’s not Briles, I don’t think we’d get another OC that’s as willing to adjust their offense to fit our personnel.

I’d rather take Briles with his flaws than be stuck with a “Pound the rock bro” any day.
That’s my biggest concern here. I can’t live through another coordinator on either side of the ball who insists on running sh*t we don’t have the personnel for. We aren’t built to run the ball down anyone’s throat, so let’s find somebody who doesn’t insist on doing that. I hope to God Mario has the sense to hire people who will work with what we’ve got and what we can recruit.

I’d like to see us recruiting the best players we can get, then running sh*t they’re good at, whatever that may be.

I forgot who is the top choice, we’ve talked about so many.

I like Briles but I do think his track record shows that if anything, he's out after a year or two.

Not that it matters because that'll happen just about with anyone we hire as OC and they have success....that's the true built-in advantage of having OFF gurus as HC like Lincoln Riley
well I mean coordinators are mercenaries, most of the time he's left due to HC changes

Baylor - left due to dad's scandal

2017 - landed at FAU, left after 1 year to go be the OC at his alma mater - I would say understandable

after 2018, major applewhite got canned at Houston, so briles was a free agent again

2019 - briles went to fsu, but then willie got canned near the end of the same season so briles was a free agent again

landed at arkansas in 2019 and been there since

so he's only left once on his own accord, and it was to coach at his alma mater (which is the same thing most do, and mario just did) all other changes were due to HC turnover

Last edited:
Advertisement
well I mean coordinators are mercenaries, most of the time he's left due to HC changes

Baylor - left due to dad's scandal

2017 - landed at FAU, left after 1 year to go be the OC at his alma mater - I would say understandable

after 2018, major applewhite got canned at Houston, so briles was a free agent again

2019 - briles went to fsu, but then willie got canned near the end of the same season so briles was a free agent again

landed at arkansas in 2019 and been there since

so he's only left once on his own accord, and it was to coach at his alma mater (which is the same thing most do, and mario just did) all other changes were due to HC turnover
I stand corrected...heck even still if we got 3 years from him and successful all 3 years, I'd like to think we'd have been an extremely successful team during that time.

Imo if we get 3yrs from an OC before they bolt that's about as good as it gets. Stay as long as our current freshman QB is all we can ask.

As long as Briles understands he has a QB that can hit the downfield shots with ease, and doesn't take that away from him, I am fine with him. If he handcuffs one of the best passing QBs in the game by throwing 20 passes to the LOS, I'll probably not make it through the season alive. I get the shorter passes when you have an average to bad QB. When you have TVD, you let him soften up the D by going deep. By deep I don't just mean 50 yard bombs. TVD can sling it in the 20-30 yard range unlike any QB we've had in years. Please let him keep throwing downfield.
Not sure that is a legit concern for any OC. Every OC likes to take shots if they have a half way decent QB.
A good QB & OC will also take the easy throws if the numbers are right. A lot of big plays are made with a 2 yard pass.

Not sure that is a legit concern for any OC. Every OC likes to take shots if they have a half way decent QB.
A good QB & OC will also take the easy throws if the numbers are right. A lot of big plays are made with a 2 yard pass.
I am always concerned when an OC puts his system before his players. Good OCs take the talent they have and work with it. Whoever we hire needs to do this, and I think they will. But honestly, haven't we seen coaches in the past not use talent properly? I know I have.

My one concern with Briles is the the FSU vs Boise game in 2019. His offense shot their load in the 1st half, the defense adjusted, and He had no plan B. That was the case throughout that season, I remember Taggart having to step in because Briles insisted on going warp speed at a point in the game where FSU should've been eating clock. Oh and, that dumb *** HB pass vs Wake Forest, there were many instances like that where His offense got too cute.

Advertisement
Back