Kendal Briles education

Advertisement
I Hope Please GIF

We must have led with the helmet when we targeted the Toledo guy so it was a no go.anyway enough with the jokes hopefully we get briles we need a proven guy in here

Just wanted to revisit this since there was Briles smoke before the season and please, for the love of Christ, we might have an OC opening in about 6 weeks.

Arkansas is currently 5-3 (1 loss to Miss St when their QB didn't play), with the #25 ranked offense in the country in Yards Per Play.

They're 30th in the country in scoring, averaging over 33 PPG, playing a MUCH tougher schedule than we have (A&M common opponent, and they've also played Cincy, USCe, Bama, Miss St, BYU, and Auburn -- along with 1 HS game vs Southwest Mo. State).

KJ Jefferson, a kid with very limited passing ability, is currently 2nd in the SEC in passer rating. He's completing 69% of his passes, and has thrown 13 TDs and ZERO interceptions. Think the scheme is good and he knows where to go with the ball? And it's not like he's checkdown Charlie, he's averaging 8.5 YPA, which is good for 6th in the conference but 0.2 YPA less than Levis and Bennett.

They have a kid named Rocket Sanders playing RB for them, and he's a Rockledge boy who, of course, we didn't want (to be fair, nobody in Florida did). What's he doing, you ask? Oh, just leading the SEC in rushing. 124 yards per game, averaging 6.52 a carry. Leading the league in scrimmage yards.

And this is all while dealing with the 2nd worst defense in the SEC. Only Vanderbilt is worse vs FBS programs in yards per play allowed.

3rd in the conference in 3rd down percentage
9 plays of 40+ yards (I believe we have 1)
Only 7 lost turnovers in 7 games (both INTs by the backup in the Miss St game that KJ Jefferson didn't play in, 5 lost fumbles)

THIS is an offensive coordinator. This is playing to the strengths of your athletes. KJ Jefferson completed 45% of his passes as a freshman. 48.8% as a sophomore. Now he's one of the best QBs in the conference. Taking a 6'2 210 pound back who was an afterthought in his own state, and turning him into the most productive back in the league. This is scheme. This is talent utilization. This is adaptability.

Enough of the BS. Go hire this guy. Or someone like him. Someone who has proven to produce in multiple spots over multiple years with multiple athletes. Gattis has got to go. I fully believe that, in almost all cases, these things take time to gel. But it's clear this dude is a fraud. We got sold a lemon. It happens. But if you're Mario, you have to smell the rat right now, and you have to flush it. He interviewed Briles once before, and it didn't get done. Now is the time to make it happen.

Last edited:
Just wanted to revisit this since there was Briles smoke before the season and please, for the love of Christ, we might have an OC opening in about 6 weeks.

Arkansas is currently 5-3 (1 loss to Miss St when their QB didn't play), with the #25 ranked offense in the country in Yards Per Play.

They're 30th in the country in scoring, averaging over 33 PPG, playing a MUCH tougher schedule than we have (A&M common opponent, and they've also played Cincy, USCe, Bama, Miss St, BYU, and Auburn -- along with 1 HS game vs Southwest Mo. State).

KJ Jefferson, a kid with very limited passing ability, is currently 2nd in the SEC in passer rating. He's completing 69% of his passes, and has thrown 13 TDs and ZERO interceptions. Think the scheme is good and he knows where to go with the ball? And it's not like he's checkdown Charlie, he's averaging 8.5 YPA, which is good for 6th in the conference but 0.2 YPA less than Levis and Bennett.

They have a kid named Rocket Sanders playing RB for them, and he's a Rockledge boy who, of course, we didn't want (to be fair, nobody in Florida did). What's he doing, you ask? Oh, just leading the SEC in rushing. 124 yards per game, averaging 6.52 a carry. Leading the league in scrimmage yards.

And this is all while dealing with the 2nd worst defense in the SEC. Only Vanderbilt is worse vs FBS programs in yards per play allowed.

3rd in the conference in 3rd down percentage
9 plays of 40+ yards (I believe we have 1)
Only 7 lost turnovers in 7 games (both by the backup in the Miss St game that KJ Jefferson didn't play in)

THIS is an offensive coordinator. This is playing to the strengths of your athletes. KJ Jefferson completed 45% of his passes as a freshman. 48.8% as a sophomore. Now he's one of the best QBs in the conference. Taking a 6'2 210 pound back who was an afterthought in his own state, and turning him into the most productive back in the league. This is scheme. This is talent utilization. This is adaptability.

Enough of the BS. Go hire this guy. Or someone like him. Someone who has proven to produce in multiple spots over multiple years with multiple athletes. Gattis has got to go. I fully believe that, in almost all cases, these things take time to gel. But it's clear this dude is a fraud. We got sold a lemon. It happens. But if you're Mario, you have to smell the rat right now, and you have to flush it. He interviewed Briles once before, and it didn't get done. Now is the time to make it happen.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Advertisement
The same dudes will downplay him even though he’s an elite offensive mind. Rinse and repeat. They’ll point to his tenure at fsu even though he improved them tremendously in every statistical category.

I don’t think Mario will ever hire an offensive mind like Briles but we can hope 🙏

The same dudes will downplay him even though he’s an elite offensive mind. Rinse and repeat. They’ll point to his tenure at fsu even though he improved them tremendously in every statistical category.

I don’t think Mario will ever hire an offensive mind like Briles but we can hope 🙏

My only hope is he did interview him. I don't think this is just ****ing into the wind. There was communication. Maybe bridges were burned, maybe it wasn't as serious as I was led to believe, maybe it was smoke. I don't know. But I think it's virtually certain that they spoke about the job, at absolute minimum. So, let's dance again, shall we?

Advertisement
I would be shocked if he’s at Arky next year. Pittman does not particularly care for him. Well that might be too strong of a statement. I’ll go with, they’ve had some riffs about play calling this year. A mutual parting of ways is coming.

I would be shocked if he’s at Arky next year. Pittman does not particularly care for him. Well that might be too strong of a statement. I’ll go with, they’ve had some riffs about play calling this year. A mutual parting of ways is coming.
They might bicker over play calling, but I’m not so sure that Pittman will “part ways” over it, arky has had favorable offensive results and I believe they just extended him

That being said if he is canned, Ruiz better pick him up in a jet from middle of bumfk Arkansas airport.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He is a **** good OC but pretty sure he used the Miami opening to try and get more $$$ from Arkansas. Not sure if he got a new contract or not.

Also he or someone close to him was definitely the source for that McMurphy tweet.

I would hire him in a second.

Last edited:
Honestly....I always think he is pretty overrated TBH. He has issues with adjusting to defenses when teams are on to him.

Now Daddy Briles....THAT is an offensive mad scientist type of genius....
He would never even get a courtesy call.

Would be cool with the hire, just wouldn’t be my first call.

Advertisement
Back