Kendal Briles education

Hmm, wasn’t king a more heavy RPO qb while here instead of a read zone guy?
King said out of his own mouth he’d never ran the Zone read. Which was obvious how he rarely made the right decisions on the pull/give. He also struggled with the rpo.

King struggled with the zone read because he’s never ran it , he struggled with the Rpo yet we kept running both to nauseam. Just like the slow developing runs especially on fourth downs.

Lashlee was bull headed with how he handled king. I’ve said this for over a year. King had his flaws too but the oc is supposed to scheme to the qb’s strengths. Tvd made Lashlee look better than he was and so did Likens. You saw more of Likens hands all over the offense after the injury. By formations , route concepts and play design. It looked like straight air raid.

Lashlee is a pretty good to good oc. Nothing elite or special.

Advertisement
“While I went down there Sonny Dykes was there, Tony Franklin was there, a guy by the name of Mike Leach was there and I got a chance to go there and spend weeks and learn from all of those guys. So I would say Hal Mumme, Mike Leach, and Sonny Dykes were great influences in my passing game career.”

Thats a quote from Likens. that’s why he was brought here and what we saw after the middle of the year. Likens deserves a lot of credit with the change in offense. Before the change Lashlee was beating his head into a brick wall for over a year. A lot of the same ole , same ole.

Last edited:
Art Briles was also on Mike Leach staff. He incorporated Air Raid passing concepts with the the Veer (wishbone offense ) he had been running. Art basically took the philosophy of using anything thing that works.

Something else you'll see is receivers taking plays off. Their philosophy is that if the ball is not going to one side of the play, then the receiver doesn't have to waste any energy. (The cornerback guarding them willnstill run tothe opposite side of the field in support so they will still expend energy. [We will hear fans argue about this as well next year]

Art Briles was also on Mike Leach staff. He incorporated Air Raid passing concepts with the the Veer (wishbone offense ) he had been running. Art basically took the philosophy of using anything thing that works.

Something else you'll see is receivers taking plays off. Their philosophy is that if the ball is not going to one side of the play, then the receiver doesn't have to waste any energy. (The cornerback guarding them willnstill run tothe opposite side of the field in support so they will still expend energy. [We will hear fans argue about this as well next year]
I wonder if that was more of a culture thing rather than a philosophy thing

can't imagine mario letting wr's take plays off when he preaches physicality and toughness

Last edited:
LOL how tf can someone hate this? If you have a better candidate, I can respect that. But there are so many people who are legit “hard pass” on Briles like wtf are we doing? Show me any other coordinators who have top 10 offenses at 3 different schools in 3 straight years. He’s not the 2nd coming of Christ but come on. If someone we get this dude it’s a massive W for Mario.
It's a hard pass for me because I'd be beyond embarrassed if we hired a rape apologist to the staff. There's no way outside of suspending disbelief could one reason that he didn't know what his father was doing, and he wasn't actively participating in the garbage that went on at Baylor. I'm sorry, but there are far too many talented OCs out there that Miami could land that doesn't come with that kind of baggage. There's a reason why places like FSU and Arkansas took him, they don't give a **** and probably would be fine if Kendal bullied a victim, much like his old man.

There are some things that go beyond football and grown adults either bullying rape victims, or looking the other way as their boss does isn't acceptable.

Advertisement
It's a hard pass for me because I'd be beyond embarrassed if we hired a rape apologist to the staff. There's no way outside of suspending disbelief could one reason that he didn't know what his father was doing, and he wasn't actively participating in the garbage that went on at Baylor. I'm sorry, but there are far too many talented OCs out there that Miami could land that doesn't come with that kind of baggage. There's a reason why places like FSU and Arkansas took him, they don't give a **** and probably would be fine if Kendal bullied a victim, much like his old man.

There are some things that go beyond football and grown adults either bullying rape victims, or looking the other way as their boss does isn't acceptable.
73926343-7228-47C9-98A8-511D9B61A876.png

Shane Buechele in 2019:

3,929yds 34TD’s & 10INT’s

Their two RB’s:

Xavier Jones 1,276yds 23TD’s & Ke’Mon Freeman 517yds & 5TD’s

Their WR’s/TE:

James Proche 111rec 1,225yds & 15TD’s, Reggie Roberson 43rec 803yds & 6TD’s & Kyle Granson 43rec 721yds 9TD’s

Sonny Dykes had never won 10 games in a season in his career until Lashlee was his OC & SMU hadn’t won 10 games in a season since 1984 until Lashlee was the OC...

There were A LOT of Air Raid coordinators & coaches that could’ve got the SMU job, but for whatever reason they hired him... The anti-Lashlee campaign by Miami fans is baseless & rooted in recency bias.

Advertisement

They also ran wrinkles off that as well

Briles is the goods but he's going to upset Canes fans many times the first year.

Good:
- he scores a lot of points fast
-fast tempo catches a lot of defenses out ifof position
-he's 50/50 run pass
- his offense is multiple and can really do anything you want from an offense
-his runs will hit for 9 yards a pop on the regular with a lot of explosive 20+ yard runs (huge holes)
-read option will result in a lot of TVD runs for first downs and scores
- his receivers are high school wide open
-receivers win most of the 50/50 balls
-loves 11 personnel
-loves motion and jet sweeps
-he frequently goes for it on 4th down past the 50
-lots of wheel routes and passes to the flats to keep chains moving (Knighton is going to eat)
- he can recover from a bad call or penalty on next play
- can get first down with 1 & 25 (he will get 8 yards on next 2 plays and then have a 3&1 with 4th down in his back pocket
-throws deep a lot

Bad:
-he scores fast so defense is out there again quickly(, but I think the defense should be focused on 3 and out so that's not his real problem, but Mario might disagree)
-his runs will get stuffed a lot and he will patiently stick with it (Mario will probably like but fans will lose their minds) so you'll see some 3 and outs in the beginning
-previously mentioned big runs will need quick cut back or change in direction (not sure that's Knighton strength)
-need fast receivers because a lot of vertical routes
- do we have that really fast player to run jet sweeps? (Jet sweeps get stuffed on the regular but Briles usually recovers)
-TVD will get rocked a few times in the year
-year 1 he will fail 20% on his 4th down attempts

Ugly:
-OL will get a lot of penalties with holding, off sides, and ineligible receivers downfield
-lot of illegal formation penalties
-loves the trick play (which is good) but only uses double pass (usually receiver)... not sure if we have any receivers that can throw cause some are ugly
-lots of TFL with 6-8 yards lost on the regular (but he will usually have an explosive plays to follow... lots of first downs with 2 &18)
-mario might want him to go run Heavy in 4th quarter to protect a lead which might bite us in the ***

Summary:
Year 1 will be feast or famine until the right players are plugged in. Some 50-60point games, some 20 point games. It will not be 2019 FSU bad, but will probably be 2021 Arkansas where he does amazing some games and gets his s**t stuffed (like Georgia game) with some out of conference fans or ACC championship game.

Year 2 might have the players to run a 2015 Baylor offense and year 3 definitely will, but he might not be around. That 2015 Baylor offense was lethal.

A lot will depend on how aggressive Mario is and if he's willing to run the score up every chance he gets so the offense can get better. Also if he's willing to get Garcia in every 3-4th quarter to run the offense in case he's needed. Also Brown should get 4 games in the 4th and then save the red shirt.

Good post.

From what I saw at Houston, he didn’t run King as much as you would expect. Most of King’s runs were scrambled the games I saw.

My concerns are that Van Dyke will have the opposite problems King had going from zone running and air raid to veer running and run n shoot. Will Van Dyke take to long to make reads in the veer that is faster than the timing of the zone scheme? Will he he be able to match the timing of the rpo?

Most important of all, will he be able to adjust to the difference in the way the two passing systems teach quarterbacks to make reads? This has me more concerned than anything else. AR and R&S have similar concepts, but they do not run them the same. Think about it. There have been record breaking R&S quarterbacks for a long time and almost all of them fail when they are put into another system. It teaches to read the game in a unique way that is difficult to learn AND unlearn.

Briles is a good coach and big name but these issues make me wish we would find an air raid guy with a good running game.

Lashlee for me.

His passing offense is elite compared to Briles.

Briles has the better overall rushing attack because most of his Veer style rushing attack is predicated on a mobile QB working the mesh point in the read option game.

But Lashlee’s run game isn’t as bad as Canes fans believe it is...
At SMU, he had Xavier Jones rushing for 1,276yds & 23TD’s & their 2nd back rushed for Ke’Mon Freeman rushed for 517yds off just 122 carries, they rushed for 2,351 yards as a team that season.

His rushing attacks at Auburn were always really good too, they weren’t good at Miami because he had to work with a bunch of Stacy Seashells & Botch Barry commits & our interior line was really subpar.

But in terms of overall as a play designer & play caller, Lash is one of the 10 best in college football IMO.

I like Lashlee. I wanted more out of the quick passing game though.

Some of his calls were head scratchers numbers wise. He was good setting up plays but wasted too many plays calling into the strength of the defense.

This is why Brady was so intriguing to me you get a coach that can call a short passing game like LSU vs Auburn in 2019 and this offense would be a lot more consistent as we rebuild the offensive line.

Advertisement
Shane Buechele in 2019:

3,929yds 34TD’s & 10INT’s

Their two RB’s:

Xavier Jones 1,276yds 23TD’s & Ke’Mon Freeman 517yds & 5TD’s

Their WR’s/TE:

James Proche 111rec 1,225yds & 15TD’s, Reggie Roberson 43rec 803yds & 6TD’s & Kyle Granson 43rec 721yds 9TD’s

Sonny Dykes had never won 10 games in a season in his career until Lashlee was his OC & SMU hadn’t won 10 games in a season since 1984 until Lashlee was the OC...

There were A LOT of Air Raid coordinators & coaches that could’ve got the SMU job, but for whatever reason they hired him... The anti-Lashlee campaign by Miami fans is baseless & rooted in recency bias.
Because a majority of the hate comes from two camps: The pro-style bros who still think spread offenses are gimmicky and Miami needs to go back to a 20+ year old system because they don’t watch football besides Miami highlights from 2001. And the unrealistic dreamers who thought switching offensive coordinators is all it takes to go from near dead last in offense to top 5 offense. You point out the incredible leap in almost every offensive metric and they’re like “yeah but they could have been better”. These are the video game guys. The dudes who play a season in NCAA 14 with their own “build a playbook” and their team scores 50 points a game regardless of talent on hand.

Advertisement
Good post.

From what I saw at Houston, he didn’t run King as much as you would expect. Most of King’s runs were scrambled the games I saw.

My concerns are that Van Dyke will have the opposite problems King had going from zone running and air raid to veer running and run n shoot. Will Van Dyke take to long to make reads in the veer that is faster than the timing of the zone scheme? Will he he be able to match the timing of the rpo?

Most important of all, will he be able to adjust to the difference in the way the two passing systems teach quarterbacks to make reads? This has me more concerned than anything else. AR and R&S have similar concepts, but they do not run them the same. Think about it. There have been record breaking R&S quarterbacks for a long time and almost all of them fail when they are put into another system. It teaches to read the game in a unique way that is difficult to learn AND unlearn.

Briles is a good coach and big name but these issues make me wish we would find an air raid guy with a good running game.
I think the reads and progressions would be easier with briles. It kind of hurt king's transition here because its alot of 1 read concepts, he would look at his first couple of reads and take off if they weren't open...Thats my biggest concern with some of briles stuff, i like the choice routes but they can get iffy at times if the defense adjusts correctly.. But i saw more versatility in the fsu games and at Baylor. I think tvd will love the choice routes, he likes to air it out so i don't worry about that. We should still bring in an analyst to assist with that like likens did, we got money now lol... the concern about a new system and making reads n stuff should be with dorsey or brady, they run more NFL like concepts

I think the reads and progressions would be easier with briles. It kind of hurt king's transition here because its alot of 1 read concepts, he would look at his first couple of reads and take off if they weren't open...Thats my biggest concern with some of briles stuff, i like the choice routes but they can get iffy at times if the defense adjusts correctly.. But i saw more versatility in the fsu games and at Baylor. I think tvd will love the choice routes, he likes to air it out so i don't worry about that. We should still bring in an analyst to assist with that like likens did, we got money now lol... the concern about a new system and making reads n stuff should be with dorsey or brady, they run more NFL like concepts

Brady sure made it look easy for Burrows. I think him or Ken would do the same thing for TVD.

I noticed a lot of Brady’s plays made the quarterback’s reads really easy. He also gave the quarterback route concepts that showed him multiple options quickly and put the defense in bad situations before the pass rush could be a factor. The qb just had to choose one of the 2or 3 receivers that were already looking for the ball.

We will see about the adjustment from AR to R&S if Briles is the guy. I hope it is as easy as you think it will be.

Advertisement
Back