Kellen Winslow II arrested on burglary charges

Advertisement
You can’t have these intellectual type discussions on a board like this.

leave it to CIS to excuse a rapist bc he wore canes colors while also criticizing another alleged rapist (ben) in another thread (not everyone did either, but its an interesting way to look at it)

Lmfao
That was convenient .....here’s the truth, it didnt start w Reagan, nice try though....
It started w Kennedy bro, you must be snowflake offended by my comment instead of looking at the facts

Here’s one more that shows the history of mental institutions from non other than NPR (right up your alley)

Advertisement
First, I addressed the issue of the contrast between his sexual preferences and his general lack of self-control in my prior post.

Second, yes, there is a ton of research that has shown that certain types of crime (pedophilia, rape, animal abuse) are heavily and statistically impacted by physical or psychological trauma. Again, there is not an EXCUSE there, but an attempt to understand what causes the aberrant behavior.

In addition, it would help to factor in whether "punishment" (i.e., jail time) would have any impact on changing the behavior in such an individual. Sure, it is possible for one who commits theft to be "rehabilitated" from incarceration, but we have to honestly consider whether jail time will ever change a pedophile, a rapist, or an animal abuser.

Again, please differentiate between the concept of "excusing" a person from a crime and an honest discussion of what influences someone to commit a particular type of crime, and whether they will ever be rehabilitated from committing that type of crime again.

If Kellen is convicted of the crimes of which he is accused, he probably needs to be locked up just to protect other people, but being in jail will probably never address what is wrong with him in a way that rehabilitates him.
You are mostly correct in this, my dad is a former clinical psychologist before he got into private business and worked extensively in the realm of pedophila, *** addiction, etc. Much of it is rooted in abuse/trauma suffered as a child, as well as TBI (traumatic brain injury). Unfortunately there is very little rehabilitation in these cases. Once the problem starts, the urges or deviancy rarely goes away and the overwhelming majority are repeat offenders even with/after therapy or meds

Lmfao
That was convenient .....here’s the truth, it didnt start w Reagan, nice try though....
It started w Kennedy bro, you must be snowflake offended by my comment instead of looking at the facts

Here’s one more that shows the history of mental institutions from non other than NPR (right up your alley)

Dude, did you actually read the link you sent? And why you are resorting to calling me a snowflake? I'm sure you are better than that. I'm not even sure what being called a snowflake means.

Not that I really care, but based off the link you sent, it seems like the left has showed more of a committment to mental health. Go Canes!

"The 1980s marked a period in which sweeping budget cuts led to a decline in services for the mentally ill. President Ronald Reagan helped institute a variety of cuts to social programs that affected a number of groups throughout the country. His administration supervised cuts throughout the decade that hampered support for the poor and mentally ill, among other groups."

"As president in 1963, Kennedy presented a special message to Congress that detailed the need for new mental health legislation. Kennedy stated that 600,000 people in private and public mental institutions at the time were affected by the harsh conditions of the institutions and hospitals on a daily basis. Kennedy argued that because of the benefits of new psychotropic drugs, people with mental illness could live in more natural community settings. Kennedy suggested Congress allocate funds to train more mental health professionals, to build more programs and facilities and to continue research. His goal was to reduce by 50 percent the number of patients in state mental hospitals in 10 to 20 years, according to Rochefort. As a result of Kennedy's legislation, the number of patients in state mental hospitals declined by 62 percent by 1975."

"Less than a month before his death, President John F. Kennedy signed the Community Mental Health Centers Act of 1963, which provided $150 million for new mental health center programs."

"President Jimmy Carter helped establish the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980, which restructured federal community health center programs by increasing and strengthening links between local, state and federal governments, according to a history of mental health in the United States by the Minnesota Psychiatric Society."

"Carter said the act was “the most important piece of federal mental health legislation” since President John F. Kennedy's Community Mental Health and Mental Retardation Facilities Act in 1963. It was designed to reestablish many of the community programs from the Kennedy years and President Lyndon B. Johnson’s Great Society that had been cut or diminished during the Nixon presidency. However, Reagan repealed the act soon after taking office in 1981"

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Dude
Your in the wrong lane
Do you even know what a community mental health center is???
Let me inform you as I go into two or three every day in Southern California
They let OUTPATIENT settings w up to 2,000ives or more of mostly schizophrenic and bi polar patients...usually low functioning many w dual diagnosis (mental illness combined w drug and or alcohol abuse)
Most are non compliant to meds thus the push for long acting injections (but that only has 10% market share).
These people live in group homes or on the street. They commit a lot of crime, and many end up as “frequent fliers”....meaning they relapse/commit a crime/try to commit suicide/ whatever and end up in Emergency Treatment Services.

The problem w that is that they can only be help for 24 hours, either they get admitted in patient or they are back on street. If they go inpatient it’s an average of 6 -7 day stay until stabilized then released w a Rx and asked to go to a CMHC follow up appt 4-8 weeks later!

The net result of this is these people are
In and out
In and out....IE frequent fliers
Costing taxpayers 10k plus per one week admission

The reduction of state insititutions stArting back in the 50s ( because of “inhumane” treatment”) is the issue.

You stating the left has done more, YEAH, they wanted the institutions closed and started CMHC model.....how is that working out?

It’s jail OR we need to revisit insane asylums

THAT is reality

One last point, it’s SAD to see. I am numb to it as I have been exposed to it for 20 years in my line of work. I have been to every setting possible. I have been to Patton State Hospital where some of the CRAZIEST sick people are held, I have had a tour behind the gates Among the population- it ain’t pretty folks. It’s scary.
Unfortunately that facility holds 1500-2000
I would NOT want any of those folks released.

The net net is that there is no easy answer, in one of my earlier posts i mentioned Winslow should sit in jail and he likely will if he is convicted and that is where a ton of mentally I’ll reside. Docs use genetics versus newer safer compounds in most cases due to their apathy and state budget. Not ideal but it’s reality and it’s better than the alternative of these people running around and harming General society

Last edited:
And that won't become "facts" until after he is dead.

Still, with the statistics about how widespread the CTE is, even among football players not known to have taken a lot of hits to the head, it seems nuts to think that this would have no impact.

The guy went 30 or more years of his life with NOTHING like this happening to "insane stuff happening every 6 months".

Not hard to imagine that there is some causality here.

Very easy to imagine that there is no causality if you understand science.

Dude
Your in the wrong lane
Do you even know what a community mental health center is???
Let me inform you as I go into two or three every day in Southern California
They let OUTPATIENT settings w up to 2,000ives or more of mostly schizophrenic and bi polar patients...usually low functioning many w dual diagnosis (mental illness combined w drug and or alcohol abuse)
Most are non compliant to meds thus the push for long acting injections (but that only has 10% market share).
These people live in group homes or on the street. They commit a lot of crime, and many end up as “frequent fliers”....meaning they relapse/commit a crime/try to commit suicide/ whatever and end up in Emergency Treatment Services.

The problem w that is that they can only be help for 24 hours, either they get admitted in patient or they are back on street. If they go inpatient it’s an average of 6 -7 day stay until stabilized then released w a Rx and asked to go to a CMHC follow up appt 4-8 weeks later!

The net result of this is these people are
In and out
In and out....IE frequent fliers
Costing taxpayers 10k plus per one week admission

The reduction of state insititutions stArting back in the 50s ( because of “inhumane” treatment”) is the issue.

You stating the left has done more, YEAH, they wanted the institutions closed and started CMHC model.....how is that working out?

It’s jail OR we need to revisit insane asylums

THAT is reality

One last point, it’s SAD to see. I am numb to it as I have been exposed to it for 20 years in my line of work. I have been to every setting possible. I have been to Patton State Hospital where some of the CRAZIEST sick people are held, I have had a tour behind the gates Among the population- it ain’t pretty folks. It’s scary.
Unfortunately that facility holds 1500-2000
I would NOT want any of those folks released.

The net net is that there is no easy answer, in one of my earlier posts i mentioned Winslow should sit in jail and he likely will if he is convicted and that is where a ton of mentally I’ll reside. Docs use genetics versus newer safer compounds in most cases due to their apathy and state budget. Not ideal but it’s reality and it’s better than the alternative of these people running around and harming General society

I appreciate this post much more than your snowflake one. Thanks for the input. I'm an attorney who represents mentally ill people at disability hearings. Most of my clients probably aren't as bad as the people you are describing, but I've also seen my fair share of "crazy" and it's a challenge not to become numb to it. Go Canes!

I appreciate this post much more than your snowflake one. Thanks for the input. I'm an attorney who represents mentally ill people at disability hearings. Most of my clients probably aren't as bad as the people you are describing, but I've also seen my fair share of "crazy" and it's a challenge not to become numb to it. Go Canes!
My bad, I appreciate your insight as well. There definitely is a wide range when speaking about mental illness. I can pretty much guarantee we all know someone who struggles w depression or anxiety or bi polar and even schizophrenia!

I hope Winslow gets a fair trial. I hope he gets a doctor that gets an accurate diagnosis and is not apathetic to his situation, as you know, many are!

Most importantly, hope he is safe and that the surrounding area citizens are safe from him if he is a threat. Sad ending to a potentially great career but he seems to have some serious serious issues!!

Best of luck w your work! I am glad that these people do have representation as they did not ask to be mentally ill.....(many have exacerbated it w drug use etc..trying to self medicate et al) but that is another topic

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back