Keivie Rose DT from LA Tech Hits the Portal and becomes a Hog

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’d take that reach over the last two decades of mediocrity.
All day lol, was just playing.

Board is going to erupt all week now since these two whiffs and the negative reactions from it will overshadow the commits yesterday. People’s expectations based from Friday’s reports won’t be reached.

Why all the judging?
Yes it’s at a position of need.
But the staff may have a lot going on when it comes to deciding why a dude should come take a scholarship here.
We don’t know for sure why some of these players are going somewhere else and we don’t know for sure if the staff really wanted them after whatever vetting process is in place.
Unless someone on here knows that the staff wanted both or either of these guys and did everything they could to keep them, why be all upset.
There has been a lot of talk about players in the portal asking for ridiculous things.
I’m totally cool if we let a dude go somewhere else if he’s asking for money or conditions that aren’t worth their talent level or demands that may affect team dynamics.
That doesn’t mean that they don’t have the talent to play here or contribute.
But I’m not the one writing checks or doing the evaluations.

Why all the judging?
Yes it’s at a position of need.
But the staff may have a lot going on when it comes to deciding why a dude should come take a scholarship here.
We don’t know for sure why some of these players are going somewhere else and we don’t know for sure if the staff really wanted them after whatever vetting process is in place.
Unless someone on here knows that the staff wanted both or either of these guys and did everything they could to keep them, why be all upset.
There has been a lot of talk about players in the portal asking for ridiculous things.
I’m totally cool if we let a dude go somewhere else if he’s asking for money or conditions that aren’t worth their talent level or demands that may affect team dynamics.
That doesn’t mean that they don’t have the talent to play here or contribute.
But I’m not the one writing checks or doing the evaluations.
Your points are fair on an individual level, but when you look at it from a macro level it is concerning that they have not been able to bring in DTs. Hopefully that changes with either other options that we don't know about in the Portal (I have no idea what DT options are even out there) or at least more DT/higher quality DT recruits (supposedly happening, but doesn't matter for this upcoming season).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Your points are fair on an individual level, but when you look at it from a macro level it is concerning that they have not been able to bring in DTs. Hopefully that changes with either other options that we don't know about in the Portal (I have no idea what DT options are even out there) or at least more DT/higher quality DT recruits (supposedly happening, but doesn't matter for this upcoming season).
I feel like mario has been afforded things that other coaches haven’t, and that’s time. His approach is almost opposite of norvell and other coaches.
Some teams are using the portal to win now.
The problem with winning now is that it doesn’t guarantee success in subsequent years.
And winning now means 10 wins and a bowl appearance.
I doubt a non ranked team Can ever get to the playoffs through the portal. But if they do it still doesn’t guarantee consistency.

I doubt Mario wants to get to 10 wins and risk falling off.
FSU had to beg that dline dude to stay. But uga can lose bear and not break a sweat and that’s what you need.

Yep , Arkansas has a chance with the last visit. He’s an Arkansas type kid. Country boy. It always felt off to me, he just didn’t seem to be jiving with the Miami scene.
your the second person I have heard say that.
Oh well on to the next.

Advertisement
Jack Nicholson Ugh GIF

I feel like mario has been afforded things that other coaches haven’t, and that’s time. His approach is almost opposite of norvell and other coaches.
Some teams are using the portal to win now.
The problem with winning now is that it doesn’t guarantee success in subsequent years.
And winning now means 10 wins and a bowl appearance.
I doubt a non ranked team Can ever get to the playoffs through the portal. But if they do it still doesn’t guarantee consistency.

I doubt Mario wants to get to 10 wins and risk falling off.
FSU had to beg that dline dude to stay. But uga can lose bear and not break a sweat and that’s what you need.
I think like most things, it is not black and white. You mention FSU and UGA, but those teams were/are coming from completely different situations (at least by the time Norvell got to FSU). UGA can have players leave and not have to worry about it b/c they already have 2 more kids on the roster who can step in and play; FSU did not have starting caliber players never mind backups who could play.

I have no idea if Norvell will be successful in the long run, but it seems that his strategy was to use the portal get players that could contribute right away to show recruits what was possible and that seems to be paying off this year in recruiting (so far anyway).

My concern is if Mario relies too much on recruiting and/or can't get decent players at positions of need in the portal, that we may not end up getting the recruits b/c they take time to contribute to the team in significant ways and a couple of year of losing and/or being terrible at a particular position and you lose your momentum (chicken or egg). With the ability for players to transfer so easily, it is critical that coaches find the right mix of bringing in portal players who can play now so 1) you don't lose other good players who want to play on a team that doesn't suck and 2) you can show recruits potential of what the team could be.

Advertisement
Back