Kalem Reddix

Advertisement
Don't want to hate on the kid, but you can always go the army.

sounds like he's thinking about a career in the military, and if that's the case then it's a good choice. he'll be able to retire with a pension at 38 years old and still be young enough to apply his skills on the civilian side while drawing that pension. The military can be a very good career option for many, especially when you decide to make it a career early on.

That's my point. He could wait 4 years, get an education, and retire with a pension at 42. It's not like the army won't take him if he gets a free education while he plays football.

Might as well tick everyone on the board off. I think it was a big mistake eliminating the draft. Everyone had a two year obligation usually in the army. If you wanted to get ahead of it you would pick your service until waiting for your draft notice. Deferrals were available for college family obligations but generally everyone went. In all fairness there were no wars going on during my time but had there been we were ready and we came from all sectors of society rich, poor,all religions,and all races.

Might as well tick everyone on the board off. I think it was a big mistake eliminating the draft. Everyone had a two year obligation usually in the army. If you wanted to get ahead of it you would pick your service until waiting for your draft notice. Deferrals were available for college family obligations but generally everyone went. In all fairness there were no wars going on during my time but had there been we were ready and we came from all sectors of society rich, poor,all religions,and all races.

Bare minimum, there should be a 3-6 month training course for all able bodies americans in basic weapons training, disaster relief , armed forces fundamentals etc. National guard or militia type stuff.

Last edited:

Bare minimum, there should be a 3-6 month training course for all able bodies americans in basic weapons training, disaster relief , armed forces fundamentals etc. National guard or militia type stuff.

I don't agree with this. I've seen people in the military that had no business ever being there in the first place. Some people just aren't cut out for it.

Advertisement

I don't agree with this. I've seen people in the military that had no business ever being there in the first place. Some people just aren't cut out for it.

Better to find that out early before there's an actual draft. I meant more a civil service type basic training anyway not an actual military placement. There's a lot of useless HS classes that could be replaced with actual life skills.

Applaud the kid for his values and dedication to service of others, my personally complicated, convoluted, and conflicted feelings about Government, war and the military notwithstanding. It's an unusual and special story. Wish him God's grace and success.

Involuntary military service is un-American. The draft was a horrific abomination in my opinion. Any war that's so unpopular that a draft would be required shouldn't be something a free nation is involved in. I find the notion that there are still people actually advocating for conscripted military service in a supposedly "free" nation extremely troubling.

There's two cents I simply add as a (hopefully taken to be respectful) counterpoint to views already expressed. Fully realizing this is not really the place for such a discussion. As Mr. Gump would close this post, that is all I have to say about that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back