Kaaya's

Advertisement
In all fairness Golden & Company have done an excellent job in recruiting and coaching Kayaa. Anyone who say different is just full of .... well shizzle, ya know.

I like Kaaya, BUT he hasn't won anything; not a knock, because he's young, and surrounded by timid coaches.

What is more interesting is the the SLURPER attitude: Kaaya, in his one season has shown enough to be crowned the next Dorsey; Fraulden, in his four seasons of ineptitude, needs one more year, another shot, is coming around, etc. Slurpers gonna slurp.

ACC's leading passer
Butkus runner-up
Mackey finalist
Doak Walker semifinalist
Biletnikoff candidate
7 draft picks (5 in the first 3 rounds)

6-7

Yet if you listen to Folden's jizzmops they continue to squawk about Kaaya being the reason we stunk last year. They pound the "you can't win with a true freshman QB" drum.

Per ESPN:

Here’s the list of true freshman QBs who’ve thrown for 3,000 yards and 25 touchdowns in the last decade: Brad Kaaya. That’s it. He led the ACC in yards-per-attempt and passing TDs last season and expectations are even higher for 2015.

If he continues, and Odogwu doesn't get him killed... he'll end up as one of the most prolific QBs in college football history.

I am super excited for Kaaya and think he will do very well, but let's also take into account that it is rare that a qb of his talents ends up at a school where he can start as a true freshman and also be surrounded by the type of talent on offense that Miami had last year. It's the same reason that Duke was able to break all of the records that he broke; he was great, but do you really think he is playing over Portis, Mcgahee, Willis, Gore or Edge if he is younger or the same age (or even older in some cases) as any of them?

They both played extensively as a freshman b/c of poor recruiting that left the door open for very good players to step in and play right away. Duke was very good but not great in my book, will Kaaya end up as good or great... I am looking forward to finding out.

The thing is each of the NFL bound players Dorset, Walford, Johnson had their best career numbers EVER at the U by far WITH kaaya. So I think too many people are saying that now they are gone that will be an issue. Remember we still got talented receivers, running backs and tight ends. Our offense might be better with kaaya having the whole playbook and having experience in playing his whole freshman year

I agree and maybe I shouldn't have put as much emphasis on the talent last year and just said it's rare for a QB of Kaaya's talents to come into a team as talented as Miami in general and have the opportunity to start right away. Brad looked good (great for a true freshman), but when only comparing him to other true freshman QBs, it is a small sample size and you are leaving off a lot of good QBs who might have done just as well as starting QBs, but did not play right away b/c they were on teams that recruited better and didn't need to play a true freshman.

TL;DR Recap: Brad looked very good for a true freshman, but it is hard to say he is going to be one of the alltime greats by comparing his stats as a freshman to past freshmen QBs as many of the greats did not have the opportunity to play as a freshman.

Advertisement
To put Brads numbers into perspective, Its hard to imagine that in Kaaya's freshman season he put up similar or better numbers than Peyton Manning in his ballyhooed junior season.

Peyton Manning Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1994 Tennessee SEC QB 11 89 144 61.8 1141 7.9 7.6 11 6 145.2
1995 Tennessee SEC QB 11 244 380 64.2 2954 7.8 8.5 22 4 146.5
1996 Tennessee SEC QB 11 243 380 63.9 3287 8.7 8.3 20 12 147.7
1997 Tennessee SEC QB 12 287 477 60.2 3819 8.0 8.5 36 11 147.7
Career Tennessee 863 1381 62.5 11201 8.1 8.3 89 33 147.1

Brad Kaaya Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2014 Miami (FL) ACC FR QB 13 221 378 58.5 3198 8.5 8.4 26 12 145.9

The game has changed a lot in the last 18 years so not really fair to compare stats.

this. the game now is much closer to flag/arena league. look at the NFL. passing records have been broken over and over again in the last 10 years

It's truly sickening that we are going to waste a 1st Round QB's entire career. He'll never win more than 9 games so long as Golden is here.

If he continues, and Odogwu doesn't get him killed... he'll end up as one of the most prolific QBs in college football history.

Golden and Coley have something to say about that

Wasn't it Golden and Coley who put him in the position to have an outstanding freshman season SMH. This blind hate is just stupid.

Please. Golden put himself in the situation of HAVING to be saved by a TRUE freshmen who wasn't even an early enrollee. His fourth year and still without a decent QB recruit. The fact that in year 4 Al had to start a true freshman in a national TV opening night game was reason enough to fire him. Brad is exceptional. Al did the same at RB. You take Duke, who nobody could lose as a recruit, off the team and Al had had not recruited a decent RB until Coley got here either. Losing Collins was a huge lapse in performance by Al. Imagine that beast trotting onto the field in Tally with fresh legs when Duke went down.

Al has failed on some many levels that to defend him at all is to put your IQ into question. Duke saved Al from even worse results and Al still threw him under the bus. Brad is a rare, rare find with a brain we have not seen since Ken. This kid walked on the practice field READY to start. He handed Al the lead with a sustained TD drive on his virgin possession in front of national TV in an opening away game. Al then loses that game because he is the same coach every day -- no change, no improvement, no movement in his brain cells. Mind you, Al then promptly blames Brad with backhanded comment about it being hard to win in that environment with t true freshman QB. What he should have said was "I cannot believe I managed to blow this frigging game after Brad went out and just stuffed it down their throats on the first drive. There are no excuses for losing this game. I failed. I suck. I quit."

To be fair, the only other real big schools that were after him were UCLA and USC. Golden did a **** of a job identifying this kid early and locking him in. I can't give Golden credit for much, but you have to for Kaaya. Without Kaaya, Golden would be a dead man walking this season.

Wasn't it Golden and Coley who put him in the position to have an outstanding freshman season SMH. This blind hate is just stupid.

Brad Kaaya is a rare talent. Can't you see that? If anything it will be Brad who puts Guldens and Coley in a position to keep their jobs.

Advertisement
The game has definitely changed since Manning's college days, although I imagine he would've been running a very similar offense if he were coming up through college now rather than 20 years ago. Manning wouldn't work in a spread, obviously. So maybe there's some room for a comparison, but teams definitely ran more back in those days.

Everyone loves Peyton and to compare up and coming QBs to him but in all honesty the next Tom Brady is the one i want at the U. Take the next Belichick too.

Yet if you listen to Folden's jizzmops they continue to squawk about Kaaya being the reason we stunk last year. They pound the "you can't win with a true freshman QB" drum.

I guess that begs the question, whose fault was it that we had to go with a true freshman QB in year 4?.

Advertisement
I remember a thread from the beginning of last season where people were hoping Kaaya would have a freshman season like Christian Hackenburg. Well he actually outperformed Hackenburgs numbers and UM still went 6-7, ****.

And he could have a sophomore season like Hackenburg too.

I hope fans don't turn on him because of bad coaching.

That Junior year doe....

Last edited:

They really put him in a position to have an outstanding second half against FSU and debut against Louisville.

Not defending the staff, but the first two drives of the second half, Kayaa had a wide open WR on a go route and threw the ball 30 yards into the stands. He was shook in the 2nd half.

it's amazing that Kayaa gets no blame for that 2nd half. Duke was ripping off 10 yard runs at the start, so the staff played ToP like every other school would have minus Oregon or Clemson.

Kayaa had 4 or 5 balls batted down while staring at his first read, but it was all the staffs fault.

Advertisement

I guess that begs the question, whose fault was it that we had to go with a true freshman QB in year 4?.

Yes, it had nothing to do with the fact that Dewey and Thompson got injured and left football, no top rated QB was willing to come here while the NCAA was leaving us hanging, Olsen turned out to be a headcase, and Ryan Williams got injured the summer before the season started.

The flip side is that we would have started Ryan Williams last year and be starting a sophomore qb in Kaaya with zero experience.

You get good and bad when starting a true freshman qb, which is why very few major college football teams have done it in the past decades.
I remember when Peyton played as a freshman at Tennessee. He was outplayed by another freshman named Todd Helton.

Yes, it had nothing to do with the fact that Dewey and Thompson got injured and left football, no top rated QB was willing to come here while the NCAA was leaving us hanging, Olsen turned out to be a headcase, and Ryan Williams got injured the summer before the season started.

Says no top rated QB was willing to come here. Then mentions Elite 11 QB Olsen in his next sentence.

He also yaps about Thompson and Dewey getting hurt. Thompson was always a baseball player and Dewey had no business ever playing at this level. Where's Dewey now?

Advertisement
Back