Kaaya

I was literally just talking to a few of my coaching buddies about this today...one of which just won Broward County Head Coach of the Year last season and had the #2 ranked offense in all of South Florida. (at a school with inferior talent)

We all agreed that the spread is what's actually helping Miami run the ball right now. If we lined-up in Pro-Style (21 pesonnel) with this O-line we wouldn't be able to run the ball at all. Defenses would load the box and we don't have the talent up-front to push them around. Being in the spread has forced defenses to play 2-high coverage which leaves them with only 5 or 6 defenders in the box. It also has allowed us to isolate Yearby with Linebackers.

Until we play FSU and they go cover-1 and send 5, or go zone (but their underneath defenders pattern-match) and get pressure with 4. Still, we have no choice to operate out of spread formations.

Scary part is, our WRs have not shown the ability to separate...other than Coley LULZ. If they don't show it against that awful secondary of Nebraska's (they suck), then I see no reason why certain Coastal teams wouldn't roll the dice on defense against us (leave their scary **** and start sending pressure). In-fact, Tenuta over at Virginia loves to send blitzes and our offense stunk against them.

Yup. Spot on dude.

If I'm looking at Miami's offense right now I'm going single-high. WR's haven't shown any ability to separate from coverage.

Reminds me of FSU 2010

Advertisement
I was literally just talking to a few of my coaching buddies about this today...one of which just won Broward County Head Coach of the Year last season and had the #2 ranked offense in all of South Florida. (at a school with inferior talent)

We all agreed that the spread is what's actually helping Miami run the ball right now. If we lined-up in Pro-Style (21 pesonnel) with this O-line we wouldn't be able to run the ball at all. Defenses would load the box and we don't have the talent up-front to push them around. Being in the spread has forced defenses to play 2-high coverage which leaves them with only 5 or 6 defenders in the box. It also has allowed us to isolate Yearby with Linebackers.

Until we play FSU and they go cover-1 and send 5, or go zone (but their underneath defenders pattern-match) and get pressure with 4. Still, we have no choice to operate out of spread formations.

Scary part is, our WRs have not shown the ability to separate...other than Coley LULZ. If they don't show it against that awful secondary of Nebraska's (they suck), then I see no reason why certain Coastal teams wouldn't roll the dice on defense against us (leave their scary **** and start sending pressure). In-fact, Tenuta over at Virginia loves to send blitzes and our offense stunk against them.

Yup. Spot on dude.

If I'm looking at Miami's offense right now I'm going single-high. WR's haven't shown any ability to separate from coverage.

Reminds me of FSU 2010

2012 was pretty bad. Our WRs were having career games that season, except when we played FSU. Dorsett was the only one that could get some separation and Scott caught a garbage TD. Didn't matter with Morris being hurt.

Those same WRs, minus Johnson and Scott, were separating against FSU during the last two seasons.

Last edited:
A spread offense can excel with inferior players.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Advertisement

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Like you know anything about the spread offense and what it in entails. Go sit your dumb a$$ down somewhere.

Nothing against the spread, but I've never seen an offense "EXCEL WITH INFERIOR PLAYERS"
Think about and break down what you said..."EXCEL"?..."WITH"?..."INFERIOR"?..."PLAYERS?"...yeah?
I've never seen an offense turn Peter Pan into Jerry Rice...at all.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Like you know anything about the spread offense and what it in entails. Go sit your dumb a$$ down somewhere.

Nothing against the spread, but I've never seen an offense "EXCEL WITH INFERIOR PLAYERS"
Think about and break down what you said..."EXCEL"?..."WITH"?..."INFERIOR"?..."PLAYERS?"...yeah?

Right. So Oregon, Baylor, TCU, etc...all loaded with future NFL studs, right?

Julian Edelman? He can play at the #1 receiver spot in a Pro-Style offense, right? He doesn't benefit by being lined up in the slot at all. Wes Welker? Same thing.

What exactly is hard to understand about "excel with inferior players"?

Advertisement

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Julian Edelman? He can play at the #1 receiver spot in a Pro-Style offense, right? He doesn't benefit by being lined up in the slot at all. Wes Welker? Same thing.

How did Oregon look Saturday night without Mariota? How did Tennessee look with Mariota?
Baylor?...watched em' a lil' bit, looks to me like they have a couple of burners at WR.
TCU has a couple of good WRs from what I've seen.
All I'm saying is inferior players don't make an offense better...IMO, the better the players, the better the offense.

How did Oregon look Saturday night without Mariota? How did Tennessee look with Mariota?
Baylor?...watched em' a lil' bit, looks to me like they have a couple of burners at WR.
All I'm saying is inferior players don't make an offense better...IMO, the better the players, the better the offense.

SMH

And all I'm saying is that certain schemes can make inferior players look better or EXCEL. That's on both sides of the ball.

I was saying the same thing about the lack of TE target. What is the problem? Makes the defense play honest.

Advertisement

Oregon looked the same way Saturday they looked against Arizona last year. Oregon has been successful for like the past decade. How many NFL studs did they have? Coach is right certain systems work for inferior talent. Baylor, Oregon, GT, and TCU all help inferior talent look good.

michael-jordan-laugh.gif

I get what you are saying but Oregon had 5 guys drafted last year, they are getting better players now, not like when they played Cam Newton.

And Baylor...

the Bears have had a total of 21 players selected in the NFL Draft, including five first round choices. Baylor's 16 NFL Draft picks since 2011 are the most of any school in the state of Texas.

Mack Brown is the reason Baylor and TCU are having success now.

What side of the ball did the majority of players drafted from TCU and Baylor play? Oregon maybe getting better prospects now but not that much better. They have been a consistent program for about the past decade. They had a few bad seasons but even back to Kelly Clemens they won double digits, we can further to their season with Joey Harrington where they should have been demolished by us in the championship. Mariota is among the top qb in school history but their best season was probably in 2010. Certain systems are in place for inferior talent. Oregon can not run the same system as Bama and FSU.

Last edited:
Advertisement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFc9uexMAoY

at :17 seconds Coley just experimenting out there. Hes going to have half the starters injured if he keeps doing this crazy ish. Lets just hope hes saving some goodies for the Big boyz.

and i'm pretty sure that play is illegal. shouldn't they not be blocking before the ball is in the air?

I remember Kansas state killing us with this play a couple years back. More effective if your qb is run threat. Rosier would kill it if he was more accurate.

I get what you are saying but Oregon had 5 guys drafted last year, they are getting better players now, not like when they played Cam Newton.

And Baylor...

the Bears have had a total of 21 players selected in the NFL Draft, including five first round choices. Baylor's 16 NFL Draft picks since 2011 are the most of any school in the state of Texas.

Mack Brown is the reason Baylor and TCU are having success now.

How many of those guys were on the offensive side of the ball?

Regardless, these spread schools have been lighting up score boards for years now, and they often lack real studs at the skill positions.

Advertisement
Back