Kaaya - Kiper / Rotoworld

Actually Kaaya is projected to be 2-3 rd pick by most analyst. Once Watson is gone it will be a frenzy on QBs. I really think this is a very good projection because most scouts recognized that most NFL offensive lines are 100 times better than what Kaaya had at the U. With that said, the best knock anyone has on Kaaya is mobility and we see what top OCs in the league can do to mask this deficiency.

The knock is not mobility. It's pocket presence. That can't be masked even behind a Dallas Cowboy offensive line. Ball has to come out quicker in the NFL and defenses are much more complicated. Brad makes a squad and maybe he can develop under a patient team.

Advertisement
Kiper isn't as reliable as he use to be. He's basically more interested in selling his draft guides than putting in the extra work in scouting. Not too mention he seems to be in bed with the SEC now primarily bc of his relationship with esecpn

Kiper and McShay are mouthpieces for anonymous NFL scouts and executives. This isn't his evaluation so much as it's his projection of where Kaaya will be drafted based on what he's hearing.

It shouldn't be a huge surprise that NFL scouts are wary of a 'me guy' who struggles to evade pressure, doesn't have an elite arm, and didn't win any big games in college. Those are pretty much the 4 most scrutinized traits in QB prospects.

The quarterback should be the leader of the team, but his teammates knew he's a me guy. No one followed and his W/L record here is laughable for U standards. Good riddance. Bouncing the U with a mid round draft grade.

Kiper isn't as reliable as he use to be. He's basically more interested in selling his draft guides than putting in the extra work in scouting. Not too mention he seems to be in bed with the SEC now primarily bc of his relationship with esecpn

Kiper and McShay are mouthpieces for anonymous NFL scouts and executives. This isn't his evaluation so much as it's his projection of where Kaaya will be drafted based on what he's hearing.

It shouldn't be a huge surprise that NFL scouts are wary of a 'me guy' who struggles to evade pressure, doesn't have an elite arm, and didn't win any big games in college. Those are pretty much the 4 most scrutinized traits in QB prospects.

Kiper use to actually scout. Maybe now he just relies solely on scouts and executives which would support my belief that he's gotten lazy with draft projections. The didn't win any big games is subjective and is more of a fan boy prerequisite and no so much a scout one. The me guy thing is just stupid. Yes he struggles to evade pressure and can be inaccurate at times. His arm is fine. He can make every throw and that's what matters.

Kiper on Kaaya: He's a mid-rounder

ESPN's Mel Kiper says Miami QB Brad Kaaya is a Rds. 3-4 prospect

We think Kaaya made a big unforced error by opting into the NFL as a true junior. Instead of entering his senior campaign as a first-round possibility and one of the nation's best quarterbacks, he's settled for a mid-round slot, the land where teams take developmental prospects to bury behind established starters. An NFC personnel director told NFL.com's Lance Zierlein earlier this month that Kaaya could end up being "just another guy."

"We think Kaaya made a big unforced error by opting into the NFL as a true junior. Instead of entering his senior campaign as a first-round possibility and one of the nation's best quarterbacks, he's settled for a mid-round slot" - Mel Kiper

Word? first-round possibility? I could of swore Kaaya was projected to be the #1 pick and #1 QB by most "experts" and draft sites this time of year last year.. and all this year did, and this O-line, was ruin his draft stock.. He went from hands down #1 QB and top 10 pick to 2-4 rounder.. and your telling me he made a mistake? as far as I'm concerned all he did was damage control by entering the draft because they way he was TRENDING.. he would of been a 5th rounder-UDFA by this time next off-season specially with a better QB draft class next year.. and all he did was throw 27 TDs to 7 Ints on 62% throwing with no O-line to speak of..

Advertisement
he entered this season as a projected first round pick and in some places the first overall pick

kayaa knows he is what he is, he would get exposed with another lackluster season

Based upon how weak this draft is and how many teams need QBs, doubt he last that long, especially w/ a strong combine showing. He'll get bumped only b/c of that.

Unlike Nojokeu who is a physical freak, Kaaya isn't blowing anybody away at the combine.

While I am not a Kaaya apologist, have to disagree with projection of how his combine performance will be viewed. Nobody expects him to light it up in athletic testing so I don't think that will hurt him (someone will make stupid Brady references and saying quarterbacks don't have to wow). But as one of the better traditional pro-style guys in the draft, he could have very successful throwing drills compared to others (for which I am sure he is practicing non-stop for) and I would imagine he would interview very well from the intelligence/film room standpoint (while Richt never went out of his way to praise hie leadership or physical ability that I recall, he did always talk about how smart the kid was). He is clearly a developmental pick, and best suited to sit behind someone for a couple years, but the bottom line is he will be the highest drafted Canes QB in the past 25 years.

Advertisement
"Pocket Presence", "Me Guy", "Not A Leader" etc.. is all rhetoric uttered by either people with personal agendas or lack of talent evaluation skills. The proof is that the league is filled with athletes that bare those same traits even if one wants to convince themselves that it is true of Kaaya. He is easily 2-3 rd if you look at coming into the season where Kiper had Kaaya and Watson as the only Tier 1 QBs and you don't get that distinction if any of the aforementioned were true in the slightest bit. Since seasons end it is grossly debatable that any of the other QBs are better than Kaaya. So without a doubt Kaaya will be the second QB taken in the draft and that is as unbiased of an opinion as you will get from anyone that closely pays attention to the draft.

The Draft has to have controversy to sell views and peak interest. So they often times troll college sites and find popular fan controversies that will suck that fan base in and therefore then able to sell the draft machine.

Last edited:
Tom Brady is the biggest "me guy" in the league and he's arguably the GOAT.

Advertisement
Based upon how weak this draft is and how many teams need QBs, doubt he last that long, especially w/ a strong combine showing. He'll get bumped only b/c of that.

Unlike Nojokeu who is a physical freak, Kaaya isn't blowing anybody away at the combine.

He certainly could in interviews and on the boards plus the QB drills. The combine is a lot more than just running in shorts.

Probably better for his long term career to get drafted as a developmental project than to get picked by a horrible team and rushed into a starting role.

Probably better to gamble on 1st round money like Like Paxton Lynch with the 26th pick with a 5 million signing bonus and get set up for life without even playing a game in the NFL. A mid round pick is an extreme gamble.

Kiper on Kaaya: He's a mid-rounder

ESPN's Mel Kiper says Miami QB Brad Kaaya is a Rds. 3-4 prospect

We think Kaaya made a big unforced error by opting into the NFL as a true junior. Instead of entering his senior campaign as a first-round possibility and one of the nation's best quarterbacks, he's settled for a mid-round slot, the land where teams take developmental prospects to bury behind established starters. An NFC personnel director told NFL.com's Lance Zierlein earlier this month that Kaaya could end up being "just another guy."

Didn't he enter his Junior Campaign as a first-round possibility?

If he came back, had a similar year as a Senior as he did as a Junior, his stock would've fallen even further. I think he made the right decision to leave.

I agree. He may have viewed it as there being too much uncertainty on our OL and gaping holes to fill with newcomers. He just finished getting battered all season long - partly due to his cement shoes but the majority of the time because our OL was getting mauled.

From his standpoint, if you're gonna take another year of abuse, why not get paid for it? we will be fine, IMO, and it gives another guy a shot to see live bullets instead of riding the pine.

Advertisement
This "me guy" stuff is ridiculous.. I don't get the Kaaya hate, legit hatred.. yeah he was frustrating AF sometimes
but so was the Oline, wr, play calling.. dude did his best, just was t good enough to win big.. gl to him wherever he
gets drafted.. idk why you wouldn't want him to do well even if you legit hate/dislike him.. him doing well in the
league only makes our program look good for future recruits

I think he made a mistake... however... Was he REALLY going to improve on his weaknesses? I saw NO improvement in three years in his footwork. Or really in anything he did. What one thing did he do better as a junior than he did as a true freshman?

I will start with two things Kaaya did. One, he delivered the U it's first Bowl game win in a decade. And two, in doing so as the OL developed he proved that he was a much better QB in the pocket than many point as an issue earlier in the season. Also, he proved that he could adjust to yet a third offense in his three year career at the U but if I mentioned that it would go beyond the two that I said I would start with. I will let someone else mention it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back