Justin Medlock to visit. (COMMITS!!!)

I watched his sophomore highlights . #1 takeaway is that HUDL is loooonnnnngggg. Which means he's a playmaker.

Medlock is a true LB, so we won't have any issue with him taking 2-3 years to convert from rush end, and we've seen how hard that is to do. He's built really well, has enough speed to close the gap on RBs in the second level and scrambling QBs, so he's not slow. He's faster than Flagg when comparing HUDLs. I especially like his ability to diagnose the play quickly and always get to the ball.

His negatives still show up. He doesn't have a good first step, and it's not just due to reading the play. Even on clear blitz situations, he is no faster than anyone on the defense off the ball, including the nose tackle. He seems to be fine after that first step, but he's not bursty either. We saw Keontra close that gap in a finger snap during the Spring Game. Or Phillips get-off from the edge. Medlock doesn't have that.

All in all, I think he'll make a great add to the class. He'll cover his zone well, give us what Shaq brought us. Super solid. High floor but ceiling's not Day 1 / Day 2.
Thank you for this. Considering our need at the position and what the board currently looks like, I’m not sure how you say no to a kid like this especially this “early” in the recruiting cycle.

Not every player needs to have 1st round type talent, especially at LB. It’s a different kind of game right now. Give me a dominant DL with an uber talented secondary and some LBs that can make the sure tackles and you’ve got an elite D.

Advertisement
Thank you for this. Considering our need at the position and what the board currently looks like, I’m not sure how you say no to a kid like this especially this “early” in the recruiting cycle.

Not every player needs to have 1st round type talent, especially at LB. It’s a different kind of game right now. Give me a dominant DL with an uber talented secondary and some LBs that can make the sure tackles and you’ve got an elite D.

I generally agree with you. Elite players make winning easier. But Clemson has won a lot of BCS championships with elite players at key positions while weren't elite but were sound football players who fit their system. Also, there aren't many linebackers out there who are no-brainers. But I do feel like Manny, of all people, as a former LB coach and DC, should be able to land a few of them.

Miami recruiting tracker: Why 3-star Texas linebacker Justin Medlock could be ‘perfect fit’ for Hurricanes

By Manny Navarro Jul 21, 2021
comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — The Miami Hurricanes have a long long way to go before wrapping up their 2022 recruiting class, but the team’s next commitment could come Friday when Justin Medlock, a three-star linebacker in the 247Sport Composite rankings out of Manvel (Texas), announces his college choice.
Medlock (6-1, 210 pounds) plays at the same high school where Hurricanes quarterback D’Eriq King broke state passing records and would be a perfect match for Miami, two of his coaches told The Athletic this week.

“I just told him I think it’s a great spot for you. I think you are tailor-made for what they do,” said Manvel head coach Kevin Hall, who noted he doesn’t tell his players where he thinks they should go to school unless he’s asked. “I’m a big Manny Diaz fan from when he was (defensive coordinator) at Texas. I think he’s a great coach. I think he’s a great person. I had a chance to meet him years ago, and he’s a genuine guy. He has time for people. A lot of times, coaches don’t have time for people. He does. I just think it’s a great fit for Justin.”

Medlock, whose father was a linebacker at Texas A&M, and whose brother, Jayce, plays tight end at Connecticut, played in only three games as a junior in 2020 after injuring his knee. Before that, though, Medlock had earned offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, LSU, Oregon and USC following a stellar sophomore season at Manvel when he started every game and racked up 117 tackles, 3 1/2 sacks, two fumble recoveries and five pass breakups.
Following his injury, though, some college programs “moved on,” Hall said. Miami offered Medlock in April after he had already been projected by a few national recruiting pundits to sign with Oklahoma. Medlock, though, took his only official to Miami last month and announced on July 13 he was making his college choice this Friday.

“He’s gonna be a great player and he’s friends with the kid from North Shore (Miami second-year linebacker Corey Flagg),” Hall said. “Justin was really comfortable with him when he was down there.” Manvel offensive coordinator Kendrick Crumedy, who was King’s track coach at Manvel and the team’s running backs coach when King was quarterback, says Medlock “has a nose for the football” and plays even faster than his 4.5 speed in the 40-yard dash because of his instincts and smarts. “He understands the game. So he can dissect plays right when they get started,” said Crumedy, who says he enjoys going back and forth with Manvel’s defensive leader in practice. “He moves really well on the football field and when he gets there, he’s in a bad mood. He’s a great tackler in space. That’s what he does well.

“You have to be a rocket scientist to play in our defense and he understands it and gets everybody lined up. Against us in practice, when we line up in certain formations, he starts pointing and telling his teammates what’s coming. He looks over to the sideline and tells me, ‘Crummy don’t run it over here.’ I like him because he’s got a lot of swag.” Hall said Manvel runs “an even front almost identical to TCU.” It’s not an easy defense to learn, he said.
“It’s a 4-2-5 technically, but we do a lot of stuff,” Hall said. “I know when Justin had his official (visit) down there last month, Miami’s linebacker coach (Jonathan Patke) told (Medlock’s dad) that when he got him on the chalkboard, he’d never had a player that knew schemes like he did. I’m not surprised. Because when I say we do a lot, we do a lot. He never struggles with the mental aspects of the game at all.”

Hall said Medlock has gained about 10 pounds since last season and is “closer to 220 pounds now.” He plays both linebacker spots — inside and outside — for Manvel. Patke has rotated most of his linebackers at Miami at both middle and weakside linebacker. “I’ll tell you who he reminds me of,” Hall said. “My son played (linebacker) at LSU and graduated the spring before they won the national championship (in 2019). (My son) was by no means a Devin White or a Patrick Queen, but (Medlock) reminds me of Patrick Queen in that their size is similar and they move the same. They’re great in coverage. They can play man-to-man, play zone.”

That’s a pretty big comparison. Queen was a defensive anchor for LSU’s 2019 title team and a 2020 first-round pick of the Baltimore Ravens.
Miami has a young core of linebackers it hopes will emerge this coming season, led by Flagg, former striker Keontra Smith, often-injured third-year linebacker Sam Brooks Jr. and athletic third-year linebacker Avery Huff.

UM has pursued several elite linebackers in the 2022 signing class but got beat by LSU for four-star Orlando Dr. Phillips linebacker DeMario Tolan earlier this month. The Hurricanes are a projected favorite to land Miami Central four-star linebacker Wesley Bissainthe. Medlock’s coaches see him as the kind of player who would slide perfectly into Miami’s system.

“The whole Miami aura with the swag and all that, it’ll be perfect for him mentally,” Crumedy said. “It’ll be perfect because he loves everything about the glitz and the glamour of the game, playing fast and aggressive. All the ways Manny Diaz moves guys around with all the smoke and mirrors, it’d be perfect for him. I don’t think there’s a better fit in the country for him, honestly.”

Miami recruiting tracker: Why 3-star Texas linebacker Justin Medlock could be ‘perfect fit’ for Hurricanes

comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

CORAL GABLES, Fla. — The Miami Hurricanes have a long long way to go before wrapping up their 2022 recruiting class, but the team’s next commitment could come Friday when Justin Medlock, a three-star linebacker in the 247Sport Composite rankings out of Manvel (Texas), announces his college choice.
Medlock (6-1, 210 pounds) plays at the same high school where Hurricanes quarterback D’Eriq King broke state passing records and would be a perfect match for Miami, two of his coaches told The Athletic this week.

“I just told him I think it’s a great spot for you. I think you are tailor-made for what they do,” said Manvel head coach Kevin Hall, who noted he doesn’t tell his players where he thinks they should go to school unless he’s asked. “I’m a big Manny Diaz fan from when he was (defensive coordinator) at Texas. I think he’s a great coach. I think he’s a great person. I had a chance to meet him years ago, and he’s a genuine guy. He has time for people. A lot of times, coaches don’t have time for people. He does. I just think it’s a great fit for Justin.”

Medlock, whose father was a linebacker at Texas A&M, and whose brother, Jayce, plays tight end at Connecticut, played in only three games as a junior in 2020 after injuring his knee. Before that, though, Medlock had earned offers from Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, LSU, Oregon and USC following a stellar sophomore season at Manvel when he started every game and racked up 117 tackles, 3 1/2 sacks, two fumble recoveries and five pass breakups.
Following his injury, though, some college programs “moved on,” Hall said. Miami offered Medlock in April after he had already been projected by a few national recruiting pundits to sign with Oklahoma. Medlock, though, took his only official to Miami last month and announced on July 13 he was making his college choice this Friday.

“He’s gonna be a great player and he’s friends with the kid from North Shore (Miami second-year linebacker Corey Flagg),” Hall said. “Justin was really comfortable with him when he was down there.” Manvel offensive coordinator Kendrick Crumedy, who was King’s track coach at Manvel and the team’s running backs coach when King was quarterback, says Medlock “has a nose for the football” and plays even faster than his 4.5 speed in the 40-yard dash because of his instincts and smarts. “He understands the game. So he can dissect plays right when they get started,” said Crumedy, who says he enjoys going back and forth with Manvel’s defensive leader in practice. “He moves really well on the football field and when he gets there, he’s in a bad mood. He’s a great tackler in space. That’s what he does well.

“You have to be a rocket scientist to play in our defense and he understands it and gets everybody lined up. Against us in practice, when we line up in certain formations, he starts pointing and telling his teammates what’s coming. He looks over to the sideline and tells me, ‘Crummy don’t run it over here.’ I like him because he’s got a lot of swag.” Hall said Manvel runs “an even front almost identical to TCU.” It’s not an easy defense to learn, he said.
“It’s a 4-2-5 technically, but we do a lot of stuff,” Hall said. “I know when Justin had his official (visit) down there last month, Miami’s linebacker coach (Jonathan Patke) told (Medlock’s dad) that when he got him on the chalkboard, he’d never had a player that knew schemes like he did. I’m not surprised. Because when I say we do a lot, we do a lot. He never struggles with the mental aspects of the game at all.”

Hall said Medlock has gained about 10 pounds since last season and is “closer to 220 pounds now.” He plays both linebacker spots — inside and outside — for Manvel. Patke has rotated most of his linebackers at Miami at both middle and weakside linebacker. “I’ll tell you who he reminds me of,” Hall said. “My son played (linebacker) at LSU and graduated the spring before they won the national championship (in 2019). (My son) was by no means a Devin White or a Patrick Queen, but (Medlock) reminds me of Patrick Queen in that their size is similar and they move the same. They’re great in coverage. They can play man-to-man, play zone.”

That’s a pretty big comparison. Queen was a defensive anchor for LSU’s 2019 title team and a 2020 first-round pick of the Baltimore Ravens.
Miami has a young core of linebackers it hopes will emerge this coming season, led by Flagg, former striker Keontra Smith, often-injured third-year linebacker Sam Brooks Jr. and athletic third-year linebacker Avery Huff.

UM has pursued several elite linebackers in the 2022 signing class but got beat by LSU for four-star Orlando Dr. Phillips linebacker DeMario Tolan earlier this month. The Hurricanes are a projected favorite to land Miami Central four-star linebacker Wesley Bissainthe. Medlock’s coaches see him as the kind of player who would slide perfectly into Miami’s system.

“The whole Miami aura with the swag and all that, it’ll be perfect for him mentally,” Crumedy said. “It’ll be perfect because he loves everything about the glitz and the glamour of the game, playing fast and aggressive. All the ways Manny Diaz moves guys around with all the smoke and mirrors, it’d be perfect for him. I don’t think there’s a better fit in the country for him, honestly.”
Well if you read the tea leaves after this article it’s all wrapped up for Justin to the U. I’m happy with Medlock and Wes, and their commitments will finally bring in some fresh legs and talent to the LB corps.

Advertisement

comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

His coach is lying when he says he's a big manny fan from his days as DC at Texas.

His coach is lying when he says he's a big manny fan from his days as DC at Texas.
Nah. He likes him. I read that as fan of him personally. And it aint like Texas has been a cradle of coaches since Manny got fired. You take the Texas job as a coordinator the HC is gonna eventually fire you to save himself. Manny apparently is a personable dude who has time for high school coaches. This makes another coach who has said that about him.

comment-icon@2x.png
save-icon@2x.png

Some of this reminds me of Jessie Armstead when he came out of Dallas Carter and signed with Miami. I think he loved the "glitz and the glamour" and liked to play "fast and aggressive." I remember watching a videotape of one of Jessie's best games in HS. He was everywhere. One play he'd be deep in the opponent's backfield, chasing the QB. The next play he'd be deep in the secondary covering a receiver. Jessie had that kind of swag and personality from what I remember about his college selection announcement press conference. JJ was effusive in his comments on Jessie's persona. This kid seems to have some similar traits. We need the confidence that goes along with that kind of personality. That was part of our culture and our swag.

Advertisement
Zero hate. But I question his burst and speed. Like Flagg, it won't hurt us in the majority of our games. But against Top 10-15 teams, lack of explosiveness will get exposed. ... Would love to see some legit numbers for him.
Must surround with talent. Besides Simmons, Clemson hasn’t had SPEED at linebacker. They have had well coaches guys who can diagnose plays. Smart > Speed but I agree you want both.

Advertisement
Nah. He likes him. I read that as fan of him personally. And it aint like Texas has been a cradle of coaches since Manny got fired. You take the Texas job as a coordinator the HC is gonna eventually fire you to save himself. Manny apparently is a personable dude who has time for high school coaches. This makes another coach who has said that about him.

Seems like a lot of people, coaches and players say the same thing about Manny. They genuinely love the guy!

Advertisement
Not a hit stick guy but diagnosis pretty well. Sounds like he's a personality fit too so that's a take all day.

Advertisement
Back