Justin Hill

Unfortunately that just seems to be the way of college football now with the portal. Neither young guys or coaches seem patient enough to develop. The ones that do seem to have more sustained success. Portal will create teams that pop-up for a year and then disappear because it's just not sustainable.
I would disagree here. The bigger issue is having marginal juniors/seniors come in and steal reps. The sustainability comes from bringing in elite players via the portal and not the Jaden Davis/ Thomas Gores of the world.

Advertisement
I would disagree here. The bigger issue is having marginal juniors/seniors come in and steal reps. The sustainability comes from bringing in elite players via the portal and not the Jaden Davis/ Thomas Gores of the world.
Sure, that definitely adds to the equation. Just look at what (we all hope and anticipate) Cam Ward will do for our team.

What I'm saying is that I'm not sure any school can consistently secure elite transfers every year. The best schools (UGA, Bama, etc) have stacked and developed high school talent and then cherry picked the transfers to fill the few holes where development hasn't happened as hoped. FSU, on the other hand, loaded their roster with transfers, leaving a ton of holes when they left. Even after the year they had, they couldn't just reload as easily as they thought.

Sure, that definitely adds to the equation. Just look at what (we all hope and anticipate) Cam Ward will do for our team.

What I'm saying is that I'm not sure any school can consistently secure elite transfers every year. The best schools (UGA, Bama, etc) have stacked and developed high school talent and then cherry picked the transfers to fill the few holes where development hasn't happened as hoped. FSU, on the other hand, loaded their roster with transfers, leaving a ton of holes when they left. Even after the year they had, they couldn't just reload as easily as they thought.
This hasn't come to fruition yet. They will need to struggle the next few years for this to be true. The caveat to all of that is by winning the last 2 years they now have something legitimate to sell recruits and are starting to see improvement in high school recruiting. I pray they don't ever win 12 games again but those past loaded rosters have paved the way for future success.

This hasn't come to fruition yet. They will need to struggle the next few years for this to be true. The caveat to all of that is by winning the last 2 years they now have something legitimate to sell recruits and are starting to see improvement in high school recruiting. I pray they don't ever win 12 games again but those past loaded rosters have paved the way for future success.
Fair enough.

Worse 12-0 season in history

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back