Justice takes deep dive into OL outlook for rest of season

View as article
Zion, since he’s been in the lineup - throughout his past month of playing games, he’s probably been our best performer on the offensive line, has solidified himself as the guy we want to move forward with at that position," Justice said. "Zion, you talk about just perseverance and doing what you’re supposed to - this guy gave up a lot of sacks (in 2019), was undersized, but you saw his ability, the character of who he is.
@Zbrod95 has been saying this.

Crazy how much he's improved from last year.

Question is what's going on with the other starters? If Campbell can play OG, why not play him? Scaife and Clark look overwhelmed.

Advertisement
Putting eggs in the Campbell at LT basket was a clear miscalculation. Barry may have been a subpar OL coach, but most observers last year picked up on the fact that Campbell was better suited at G.
So now Rivers primarily, Traore, and Reed according to Justise are candidates to break up the dynamic duo (dubious) of Scaife and Clark at guard. Why not give Campbell a look at guard? Seems he's pigeon-holed as a developmental tackle. Campbell could provide some semblance of physicality inside. Sure not getting it from ANY from the 3 inside, including Gaynor.

Last edited:
Need to get Gaynor out and one of Scaife or Clark take the position. Gaynor is terrible even at Center. Move Campbell inside And find another road grader at Guard. McDonaldson should have been out RG this year but he ate himself out of a starting position last year and then got injured.

Advertisement
Dude got a job with the Packers as a Senior Analyst despite last season. Proving, once again, it's not what you know it's who you know once you break into the coaching ranks.
Eh I agree that once you are in the club its hard to get kicked out, but going from a position coach to analyst is no doubt a step down. Even if it was NCAA to NFL. I bet he took a big pay cut as well and now as to live in wisconsin.

Wish we would look at player positions based on behaviors rather than body types and stereotypes. Campbell may look like a Tackle, but if he produces more at Guard, give the dude a legit shot at Guard. With what we run, we need someone, anyone, who can hold the point with more strength. Perhaps they like everything Jakai can bring, but dude is a true Soph who may need to gain some strength. ****, everyone inside needs to gain some strength/pop, it seems. I do think we’ll see the OL look better in the second half of the season. Or, maybe that’s idiotic optimism.
That was big for me as well. **** how he looks i know he is around 6'5...but Campbell to me can move people at guard and doesnt look bad there. We arent/shouldnt be in the projection for the next level or anything...we need guys to play now. Best 5 should be in and i think If Nelson is starting..John Campbell needs to be taking one of those guard spots. Because both of those guys are playing subpar currently

All this conversation reminds me that, mercifully, the Houston transfer at least has 1 OL spot above shytastic level and that is nice to have.

Not an OL guru but how does Gaynor grade out and eye test at C? Hard to tell for me with both OG's constantly going backwards, input appreciated.

I'm hoping this is the smallest OL we see in a long time.

Rivers is on the verge of breaking through, which will help. Donaldson would be a huge boost if he got under 340. From a body-type perspective, the best OL we could field for Alabama would be Zion-Donaldson-Gaynor-Rivers-Campbell with Scaife as the super-utility guy pushing Campbell.
You still love Campbell at T. He hasn’t shown he can pass protect at all, he would get eaten by Bama. Scaife or Rivers at RT, let Campbell compete for a G spot

Advertisement
You still love Campbell at T. He hasn’t shown he can pass protect at all, he would get eaten by Bama. Scaife or Rivers at RT, let Campbell compete for a G spot

Let the best man win. I’ve been saying Scaife as RT since the beginning so I have no problem with him competing there.

Also, the proposed 5 was our best 5 from a body-type perspective only. It’s still a long way to Alabama so I don’t know who the best 5 will be. OL develop different.

Let the best man win. I’ve been saying Scaife as RT since the beginning so I have no problem with him competing there.

Also, the proposed 5 was our best 5 from a body-type perspective only. It’s still a long way to Alabama so I don’t know who the best 5 will be. OL develop different.
We should have a decent competition for OL spots next year for the first time in a long time

That quote caught my eye also, we need help inside.. Not the time to protect guys, if your food get taken off your plate, your fault.. We cant have a oline that cant move anybody in the middle while running inside zone 100 times..
Hammer, meet nail.

When I look at the overall body of work by the OL this season, I'm really not surprised that we are where we are. Zion Nelson won't get confused with Bryant McKinney but the kid has come a long way since last year and he has some very nice qualities. I have no doubt that Jalen Rivers will be a contributor soon. I just don't know where. Like Justice said, Rivers has the versatility to play G or T. Ultimately Rivers looks like a perfect fit at RT to me but he may turn out to be our LT of the future. This season however I see Rivers contributing at Guard as the position is along with Center dragging this offense down.

I would say that overall this entire OL unit is a year away from being a good line. Not great but good. By 2021 with a full Spring, Summer and Fall I see a kid like Nelson coming into his own together with a talent like Rivers in the starting lineup and other youngsters such as Washington, Walker and El Gammal pushing the upperclassmen. This year, from the rest of 2020 through the entire 2021 off season will be crucial for guys like Scaife, Campbell, Clark, Reed and a healthy Donaldson to show development and significant improvement. The young kids like Rivers, Walker, Washington and true freshmen Rodriguez, McLaughlin and Seymore will push the upperclassmen hard.

It's not a mystery. It's not magic. It's tough, intense competition that will be the crucible from which our top 5-8 OL will emerge from. It's important to remember that Coach Justice is well respected for a reason and that the OL unit is the toughest to project, to coach and ultimately to develop. It takes time, patience and extremely hard work. Cumbersome, grueling, monotonous, repetitive and excruciatingly hard work. There are no shortcuts. We will get there and when we do this offense will be something to behold and it will all have been worth it. I know it sucks to be patient watching our stud RBs run into wall after wall and our QBs having to escape the pocket too quickly but we will get there.

Advertisement
Why on God’s green earth would you start the Clark/Scaife **** combo and have Campbell riding the bench is beyond comprehension.
Scaife should ride the pine going toward. He’s failed at run blocking, pass blocking, and bad penalty’s. If you don’t have it by Junior year it’s time to move on

Scaife should ride the pine going toward. He’s failed at run blocking, pass blocking, and bad penalty’s. If you don’t have it by Junior year it’s time to move on
I can't disagree with you about the quality of Scaife's play. He has been dreadful and to be honest, I am very surprised if not shocked. I can't explain how a kid like DJ could be playing this badly in his junior year. Could he have an undisclosed minor injury that is hampering his play? Is he going through a personal problem? We all know how the right girl can ***** your mind up. Especially at his age.

Yeah I'm reaching but my point is I'm at a loss as to why a player with his qualities, experience and potential just suddenly becomes completely ineffective. Seriously the guy has played like a 6'4" 300lb pylon all wrapped up in a Miami uniform. I'm no expert on the intricacies of OL play, but I would be interested in reading what our resident authorities on Offensive Line play have to say. It could be that he is struggling to adopt the techniques that Justice is teaching him. It's possible that Justice is breaking him of bad habits acquired under the previous staff in order to build him back up again but that's pure speculation on my part.

Scaife lacks strength. That is a big part of it. I don’t know if he didn’t get it done with Feely this year or what, but he is getting straight up manhandled. This is causing him to try harder which is resulting in the false starts and holding penalties.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back