Just watched the Apple Cup - Ward

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
Like I did with Poffo, as soon as I could I fired up the YouTube machine and found some Wazzu film to digest.

First, let me say that anyone who thinks Ward won't fit in with Dawson's playbook is very mistaken. While it can and should be argued that the post-GT-QB-Carousel-Bro-Ball thing we trotted out was a neutered donkey of an offense, what I've actually seen from Dawson pre-GT (not to mention every other place he's coached) pairs extremely well with Ward's skillset and previous experiences.

Second, I need to point out that our refurbished QB room is full of not only talented arms, but MOXIE. One of the aspects of Poffo's game I and others raved about is that drive to prove, the need to make a play and win a game and take over a huddle every snap. Well that's what we get with Ward in spades. Dude is confident, decisive, and has the skill to back it up.

Looking at the UW game specifically, Ward showed arm talent, escapability, but most of all the need to get the job done. That said - they didn't get the job done that game. But they took the national champ runners-up and their newly annointed Tide Turncoat coach to the wire, largely on the strength of Ward's play.

He threw two picks in that game - the first on what appeared to be a bad route by his WR, and the second thrown behind his man and tipped. He followed each pick up with TD throws. He was sacked 5 times in that game and still finished with 300+ yards and 3 touchdowns. Similar to the film on Poff, the UW defense lived in the Wazzu backfield.

Film-wise, we're getting a kid who can make every throw in the pocket or on the move, looks to extend plays, scans the field well with time, and has incredible deep ball placement.

His worst games came v. Arizona where he lost a fumble and threw a pick, and UCLA (2 INTs.) Make no mistake, Wazzu's OL at times made Albany's OL look like the 01 Canes. In total, Ward was sacked 39 TIMES in 2023.

Facing his toughest competition though, Cam Ward showed up. Against Oregon he threw for 438 yards at 70.8% completion. Against Oregon St. 404 yards, 4 TDs and a ridiculous 82.4% completion.

@Cribby said it best - we've found our QB1 (and 2!)

Advertisement
Advertisement
I have to believe Dawson wants to run what he showed v TAMU and other early games. It's the same offense he ran at UH and Southern Miss.
Hammer Floor GIF by VPRO

Like I did with Poffo, as soon as I could I fired up the YouTube machine and found some Wazzu film to digest.

First, let me say that anyone who thinks Ward won't fit in with Dawson's playbook is very mistaken. While it can and should be argued that the post-GT-QB-Carousel-Bro-Ball thing we trotted out was a neutered donkey of an offense, what I've actually seen from Dawson pre-GT (not to mention every other place he's coached) pairs extremely well with Ward's skillset and previous experiences.

Second, I need to point out that our refurbished QB room is full of not only talented arms, but MOXIE. One of the aspects of Poffo's game I and others raved about is that drive to prove, the need to make a play and win a game and take over a huddle every snap. Well that's what we get with Ward in spades. Dude is confident, decisive, and has the skill to back it up.

Looking at the UW game specifically, Ward showed arm talent, escapability, but most of all the need to get the job done. That said - they didn't get the job done that game. But they took the national champ runners-up and their newly annointed Tide Turncoat coach to the wire, largely on the strength of Ward's play.

He threw two picks in that game - the first on what appeared to be a bad route by his WR, and the second thrown behind his man and tipped. He followed each pick up with TD throws. He was sacked 5 times in that game and still finished with 300+ yards and 3 touchdowns. Similar to the film on Poff, the UW defense lived in the Wazzu backfield.

Film-wise, we're getting a kid who can make every throw in the pocket or on the move, looks to extend plays, scans the field well with time, and has incredible deep ball placement.

His worst games came v. Arizona where he lost a fumble and threw a pick, and UCLA (2 INTs.) Make no mistake, Wazzu's OL at times made Albany's OL look like the 01 Canes. In total, Ward was sacked 39 TIMES in 2023.

Facing his toughest competition though, Cam Ward showed up. Against Oregon he threw for 438 yards at 70.8% completion. Against Oregon St. 404 yards, 4 TDs and a ridiculous 82.4% completion.

@Cribby said it best - we've found our QB1 (and 2!)
What's he gonna do with legit blockers. Including big man Cam

What's he gonna do with legit blockers. Including big man Cam

My only concern is that he's been playing scramble ball out of necessity for so long he might hear footsteps. But he also shows some pretty keen pocket awareness so we'll see. He's produced against legit defenses so as long as he doesn't try and play hero ball he should light up the ACC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dawson is going to ‘magically’ look like a good OC again. Amazing what a stud QB can do for an offense.
What they going to say bro style?

That narrative gets destroyed next season. The reason we looked like that was TVD they lost trust which means they closed the playbook to limit mistakes. We will run a lot and should but that playbook is wide open ……..pause. It’s crazy that people aren’t logical to put those pieces together.

Good stuff

We have completely forgotten what an Alpha looks like at the most important position and we’ve been making excuses for them for 20 years

This kid is an Alpha

It’s gonna take one drive for us to go “wow I forgot what this was like”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back