Just spoke with Butler CC asst. about Ufomba Kamalu...

I agree with NorthFla on this one. We set out looking for JUCO beast that could help right away but we missed on the big boys we settle for a kid whose own coach says its best if his sits year 1. Pardon me for feeling a bit underwhelmed by this pick up when you consider those 2 facts.

Actually he said it would benefit him to sit a year. Not that he shouldn't/couldn't play this year. It would have benefited Deon Bush to sit a year. As well as McCord. By the end of season those guys got better.

What else did his coach say? He said that he would pick it up quickly and be a big contributor. In other words, once he adjusts to higher level of football he'll be fine. That might happen in fall practice. That might happen after the Florida game. Who knows?

Advertisement
At first I thought UK might be the coaches attempt to find a Juco DT to fill the role that they wanted from Hooks. But given how raw he is, I look at the UK take as a trade-up from Bain. We all wanted 3 DTs in this class in the beginning of the year (remember "the killer Bs"?). Well, it looks like we'll get our wish.

Also, DT is one of those high-beta positions where projections are most inaccurate (vs., say, WR, RB or LB). I'm not surprised Golden would take a flyer on UK at DT given his physical attributes and upside. That's why LSU took Bain even though he didn't even start on defense for his high school. So which one would you rather have? Bain with 5 to play 4 and no evidence of college-readiness, or UK with 3 to play 3 and his best game coming during the Juco state playoffs?

^^ Yeah, at least according to Rivals, Grace had a great time at UL, and wants to thing about his decision more, so moved the announcement back to Thursday. Not worried.

I agree with NorthFla on this one. We set out looking for JUCO beast that could help right away but we missed on the big boys we settle for a kid whose own coach says its best if his sits year 1. Pardon me for feeling a bit underwhelmed by this pick up when you consider those 2 facts.

Actually he said it would benefit him to sit a year. Not that he shouldn't/couldn't play this year. It would have benefited Deon Bush to sit a year. As well as McCord. By the end of season those guys got better.

What else did his coach say? He said that he would pick it up quickly and be a big contributor. In other words, once he adjusts to higher level of football he'll be fine. That might happen in fall practice. That might happen after the Florida game. Who knows?
What you said, fincane...

Strange how some guys just take the part about the benefit of RS, but totally ignore the fact that you called attention on the second paragraph.

Plus, Kamalu size, bull-rush(they said it´s his only move right now) and athletic ability alone, will help a lot next season. Tired of to see teams running easily behing their OT.

Advertisement
Can he get into the rotation among these guys???

95 Jake O'Donnell DE 6-6 243 Fr Doylestown, PA

17 Tyriq McCord DE 6-3 236 Fr Tampa, FL

66 Dequan Ivery DE/DT 6-1 303 Fr Lake City, FL

99 Jelani Hamilton DE 6-5 271 Fr Fort Lauderdale, FL

87 Jacoby Briscoe DE/DT 6-5 312 Fr Lafayette, LA

97 Dwayne Hoilett DE 6-3 247 Fr Vero Beach, FL

90 Ricardo Williams DE 6-5 251 Fr Homestead, FL

92 Jalen Grimble DE/DT 6-2 292 So Las Vegas, NV

71 Anthony Chickillo DE 6-4 265 Jr Tampa, FL

94 Kelvin Cain DE 6-3 245 Jr Clovis, CA

93 Luther Robinson DE/DT 6-3 290 Jr Fort Pierce, FL

51 Shayon Green DE 6-3 260 Jr Tifton, GA

LOTS of question marks here. . . JFranklin's got his work cut out for him.

Last edited:
I'm fine with the pick-up, like many have said Golden realizes we need immediate help on the DL and very rarely will a HS kid be able to deliver that. We missed on our first targets from JUCO, so why not take a shot on a big athletic kid like this with good potential and some proven performance at a higher level than HS.

Advertisement
He said that Ufomba is a good, quiet kid. No character issues. Leads by example.

Will arrive in May.

Definitely passes the eye test. Big, athletic body, room to grow and put an additional 20-25 pounds on w/o losing agility. Not a fat 280, solidly built. Needs to get stronger, get in the weight room.

Coach also said he's physical, has good get off, is an asset or will be in the running game.

Definitely improved over the season, played outstanding in the national title game. Says Franklin should develop him, however he did mention it would benefit Ufomba to redshirt, but it's his understanding Miami needs him to play immediately. He's a bit concerned about him adjusting to the physicality of the ACC w/o a year to transition, but said he expects him to pick it up quickly and be an important component on the line .

Lots of upside, but we might not see it immediately, but expects Ufomba to be contributing right away.
I don't drool over certain prospects on the DL because the common path is that they wont explode until their JR or rs Soph year, depending also if they are an EE. The coach stated that he is an asset in the running game and we suck at that. I look at it this way,"Is he better than Chick or Green"? They both have 2 years to play and he has 3 and I like his upside better than those two at this point. He basically had better stats in the title game than those two had all year.

Is there an accurate heigh and weight for this guy listed anywhere? The day he committed he was 6'3" 245. Today he's 6'6" 275 and running a 4.5 40. By the time he gets on campus people are going to be disappointed to find out he isn't 7'1" 355 playing for Jimmy Johnson because his 40 is so fast he went back in time.

Advertisement
Having watched him every Sunday for the past 3 years, I'm gonna throw out a name as a body type/frame comparison. JPP.

Basically, not the guy we needed from JUCO right now. Could have gotten the same value from a freshman.

Doesn't mean he isn't a good prospect, just that we don't have time to wait for a JUCO to develop.

Disagree. True freshmen DTs that make an immediate impact are rare. Planning for the future is important too and this kid has 3 years of eligibility.

How exactly do you disagree? We both agree he won't make an instant impact, so we would've gotten the same value out of a freshman. 3 years of eligibility sweetens the pot a little bit, but not enough to justify the take. When this kid is ready to play, Jelani Hamilton will be too.

Kid has already spent 1 year playing juco ball.

Kid is raw but had double digit TFL and led his team in sacks. Last time I checked this team was in dire need of pass rushers.

Kid will have the versatility to play in a 3-4 or 4-3.

Also, at least wait for the kid to practice before u kill him.

Same things were said about Pierre.

This, all of this.

Is there an accurate heigh and weight for this guy listed anywhere? The day he committed he was 6'3" 245. Today he's 6'6" 275 and running a 4.5 40. By the time he gets on campus people are going to be disappointed to find out he isn't 7'1" 355 playing for Jimmy Johnson because his 40 is so fast he went back in time.

He was 6'3 245 as a senior in high school. 2 years later he is probably right around 6'5" 270

Advertisement
So, if he's that athletic, that productive, why isn't K State or any of the usual suspects who recruit Jr. Colleges all over him? Very strange.

He was 6'3 245 as a senior in high school. 2 years later he is probably right around 6'5" 270

On 247 and Rivals, he's listed at 6'5" 280. That's a big body like we need.

Watched tape.

Do like.

Need DL recruits, and we were hoping for 3 DTs at the beginning of this cycle...could end that way now...

Advertisement
Back