Just spoke with Butler CC asst. about Ufomba Kamalu...

GoldFinger

Recruit
He said that Ufomba is a good, quiet kid. No character issues. Leads by example.

Will arrive in May.

Definitely passes the eye test. Big, athletic body, room to grow and put an additional 20-25 pounds on w/o losing agility. Not a fat 280, solidly built. Needs to get stronger, get in the weight room.

Coach also said he's physical, has good get off, is an asset or will be in the running game.

Definitely improved over the season, played outstanding in the national title game. Says Franklin should develop him, however he did mention it would benefit Ufomba to redshirt, but it's his understanding Miami needs him to play immediately. He's a bit concerned about him adjusting to the physicality of the ACC w/o a year to transition, but said he expects him to pick it up quickly and be an important component on the line .

Lots of upside, but we might not see it immediately, but expects Ufomba to be contributing right away.

Advertisement
Basically, not the guy we needed from JUCO right now. Could have gotten the same value from a freshman.

Doesn't mean he isn't a good prospect, just that we don't have time to wait for a JUCO to develop.

Basically, not the guy we needed from JUCO right now. Could have gotten the same value from a freshman.

Doesn't mean he isn't a good prospect, just that we don't have time to wait for a JUCO to develop.

Disagree. True freshmen DTs that make an immediate impact are rare. Planning for the future is important too and this kid has 3 years of eligibility.

Disagree. True freshmen DTs that make an immediate impact are rare. Planning for the future is important too and this kid has 3 years of eligibility.

How exactly do you disagree? We both agree he won't make an instant impact, so we would've gotten the same value out of a freshman. 3 years of eligibility sweetens the pot a little bit, but not enough to justify the take. When this kid is ready to play, Jelani Hamilton will be too.

Advertisement

How exactly do you disagree? We both agree he won't make an instant impact, so we would've gotten the same value out of a freshman. 3 years of eligibility sweetens the pot a little bit, but not enough to justify the take. When this kid is ready to play, Jelani Hamilton will be too.

Please stop speaking like you know what the **** you're talking about. You or I have no idea whether or not this kid will be able to contribute this year.

Please stop speaking like you know what the **** you're talking about. You or I have no idea whether or not this kid will be able to contribute this year.

Why have a recruiting board then? The coach from Butler CC supposedly doesn't think he'll be ready his year either.

Kid has already spent 1 year playing juco ball.

Kid is raw but had double digit TFL and led his team in sacks. Last time I checked this team was in dire need of pass rushers.

Kid will have the versatility to play in a 3-4 or 4-3.

Also, at least wait for the kid to practice before u kill him.

Same things were said about Pierre.

Pierre was a true freshman. I'd gladly take this kid as a true frosh with 5 to play 4, but at 3 to play 3 he's a poor value.

Advertisement

Why have a recruiting board then? The coach from Butler CC supposedly doesn't think he'll be ready his year either.

Recruiting Board, like any other forum, is for discussion, not people posing like they have some Parcells like insight to the development of players. But as you were. It ain't like my posts are going to stop you from talking in absolutes.

Why do all recruits need to make an immediate impact?

The ideal way to handle all incoming freshmen is for them to take a shirt. Unless lack of depth and talent forces early burn.

U cant expect to receive instant gratification on every kid that signs.

sounds like a nice body we can add to the d line rotation and to be honest we can use all the bodies we can get until we develop the younger guys

The ideal way to handle all incoming freshmen is for them to take a shirt. Unless lack of depth and talent forces early burn.

JUCO DL recruits in a small class, on a ****** defense, are expected to make an immediate impact. We're not going JUCO for years down the road. Anyone who is paying attention knows that.

Advertisement
Pierre was a true freshman. I'd gladly take this kid as a true frosh with 5 to play 4, but at 3 to play 3 he's a poor value.

Nope. This is a full sized football player as I like to call them. He's 2 years into a strength & conditioning program, putting him 2 years ahead of a freshman. He will contribute this year. He may start off slow but once he used to the speed he'll be fine. We'll finally have some full size depth with Chick, Green, Hamilton & this guy. Then you bring in your 3rd down speed guys like Terry, Bond, McCord & Hoillet. Fresh fast bodies. If we can keep the interior of our DL healthy between Porter, Pierre & Robinson then I think we'll see a big improvement from last year.

Not saying we're a top 25 defense in 2013 but maybe more like 50-60 range. In 2014 when these guys are fully matured they'll be impressive!

JUCO DL recruits in a small class, on a ****** defense, are expected to make an immediate impact. We're not going JUCO for years down the road. Anyone who is paying attention knows that.

Golden has hit on some under the radar guys, I trust in his eye for potential. If he thinks this kid is worth it and can help this team then I'm a believer

Advertisement
i mean, look, ideally we wouldn't be taking this kid. miami should be able to swing better prospects. most everything posted on this board is speculation, but his coach doesn't seem to think that he'll be a factor next season. NorthFlaCane isn't really saying anything disagreeable.

Bottom line: if you have a chance at 3 years of a kid that is 6'5" and can get up to 300 while maintaining his athleticism...you take them.

Everyone wants the next JJ Watt right now. Kids like this one and Odonnell are the ones you take a shot at to try and get there.

I agree with NorthFla on this one. We set out looking for JUCO beast that could help right away but we missed on the big boys we settle for a kid whose own coach says its best if his sits year 1. Pardon me for feeling a bit underwhelmed by this pick up when you consider those 2 facts.

Advertisement
Back