Just one thing

All ACC
Premium
Mario... Gattis...

Putting more blockers at the line does not make it easier to run the ball. It brings more defenders into the box and congests things and makes you have to execute 7/8 blocks instead of 5/6.

How do you watch football in 2022 and not see this?

Last edited:
Advertisement
This Has irritated me for at least a decade…teams that try to run into a pile of 18-20 bodies instead of spreading it out and running it up the middle where there are 10 bodies. Less bodies equals more space, seems simple enough to understand. Our failure at the end of the 3rd quarter is a perfect example

Advertisement
This Has irritated me for at least a decade…teams that try to run into a pile of 18-20 bodies instead of spreading it out and running it up the middle where there are 10 bodies. Less bodies equals more space, seems simple enough to understand. Our failure at the end of the 3rd quarter is a perfect example
My senior chief taught me this when we were at sea in 2011. He asked, you know why the NFL is a passing league? I stumbled around and said, oh because Quarterbacks are the golden boys, and offense sells, and everything else. Then he says, nope. It's because the players have gotten so big and fast on the defense, you can't regularly run on them anymore, running the ball is about getting fewer guys in the box, not more.

Instead of thinking, "Lets get some of these defenders out of here", They think, "Let's get more blockers in here". That would only work if they stay in the same defense, which they don't...so it doesn't work.

Advertisement
Mario... Gattis...

Putting more blockers at the line does not make it easier to run the ball. It brings more defenders into the box and congests things and makes you have to execute 7/8 blocks instead of 5/6.

You’re preaching to the choir. It’s called beating your head into the wall

Instead of thinking, "Lets get some of these defenders out of here", They think, "Let's get more blockers in here". That would only work if they stay in the same defense, which they don't...so it doesn't work.
Even worse? The guys they bring in to block can't block.

Advertisement
At this point we should just bring the ole triple option back. Everything goes in cycles. It could be just that time

Advertisement
Hungry Hot Wings GIF by Hooters

Pouring Tea Time GIF by Ostfriesland

Mario... Gattis...

I don't think your statement is correct.

MTSU played 8-9 in the box the entire game and 1v1 against our WRs. They didn't respect our WRs or passing game.

Adding additional blockers to run the ball was the right move. Otherwise, you have more defenders than you can block.

The problem is they actually have to block. The entire offensive line looked like they took the day off. They overlooked their opponent. They expected MTSU to just lay down. You can't just turn the switch to ON on GameDay. The mental preparation is all week.

Advertisement
Back