Just how important is the 2015 class...

FrancisSawyer

All American
Premium
to our immediate future?

I am of the opinion that this class is absolutely crucial. Golden and Co have done a good but not great job so far in stocking the roster with a decent amount of legit BCS caliber Miami talent.

The issue is that we need more to truly get to that elite level. We are at a critical juncture right now in terms of roster management. We must sign elite players at certain positions to insure the highest quality depth and talent levels.

Take CB for example. We have an excellent group but need to address the future now. Howard is a Junior and Burns and Elder true Sophs. Gunter is gone next year and possibly Howard. Since we only landed Mayes last year, it is imperative that we add 2-3 good to excellent prospects to complement and push Crawford, Dortch, Lewis and Mayes.

LB and NT/DT are even more pressing. We finally have a Miami caliber LB corps in Perryman, Kirby, Figueroa, Grace, Young and Owens. We need to continue to add there. Perry and George are a good start.

There is finally some hope on the interior DL in the form of Moten and Jenkins with Wyche and Hertelou. We need to continue to add and upgrade. Fines is not going to cut it as the only commit. Realistically we need 2 more elite players to add here, preferably out of HS but I'll take anyway I can get them.

We need 3 Miami caliber elite WRs as well. Scott and Dorsett are gone after the year and Waters is a Senior next year. Coley seems to be a sure 3 and out guy barring injury. I love Chocolate here and Berrios should thrive but we can't assume that Langham and Brady will develop like we hope they will.

OL is a given as a continuous need. With the departure of Shane Mc and Feliciano and Flowers likely declaring we will still have a very talented starting five in 2015. The depth and future need to be addressed. So far our 2015 seem workmanlike at best but OL is the toughest position to project. Our current commits could be future Outland Trophy winners for all we know.

If Jack Allison sticks the QB position will be loaded with talent. Consider a depth chart of Kayaa, Olsen, Rosier, Larson and Allison in 2016.

Being Miami we should never want for CBs, Safeties, WRs or RBs. If Duke stays for his Senior year and our commitments hold(Dexter Williams is a big if) our RB depth chart next fall will be Duke, Yearby, Edwards, Cronkrite, Walton and Williams. Now tbat my friends is what a UM RB depth chart should look like.

Great TE play has always been a hallmark of all great UM offenses. With Walford and Sandland gone after this year, Stan Dobard will get his shot to headline this group which will also hopefully consist of Archibald, O'Donnell, Herndon, Njoku(WR?), and Clarington.

We have come a long way at Safety in one year. Looking ahead to 2015 we will have 3 Seniors in Crawford, Bush and Jenkins with true Junior Carter to go along with Kiy Hester. I believe Gayot moves to Will and Mayes moves here. It is imperative we pull Tim Irvin and Jaquan Johnson possibly adding Carlton Davis to keep this unit deep and elite.

Finally the DE/Jack position(s) are beging to look like Miami with Kamalu, Thomas, Jackson, Harris, Mohammed, McCord, McCray and Patchan representing in 2015.

As you can see this roster is getting very close to being completely stocked with UM caliber talent at every position. Even our weakest position(NT/DT) is no longer a hopeless and may be serviceable this year. In order to get to the elite level we need to get to the point where we can simply reload. The fact that we are so close(on paper anyway) makes the 2015 extremely important in terms of continuity of quality talent ,depth and the ability to improve. We must bring in 5 top notch DBs(CB and Safety), 2 more NT/DT types, keep at least 2 of the RB commits, add one more elite OL to the current commits, one more LB and 2 more stud receivers to have a successful 2015 class that meets our needs.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
what exactly is "UM" caliber talent? haven't seen it in over a decade, so my memory is fuzzy
Its pretty much self explanatory not to mention obvious what I mean by that. Are you being coy or are you just obtuse? I'll define by example.

Duke Johnson, Tracy Howard, Artie Burns, Jamal Carter, Corn Elder, Deon Bush, Alquadin Mohammed, Stacey Coley, Erick Flowers, KC McDermott, Trevor Darling, Danny Isadora, Trent Harris, Jermaine Grace, Deon Bush, Kiy Hester, Darrion Owens,,Chad Thomas, Anthony Moten, Alex Figuaroa, Raphael Kirby, Demetrius Jackson, Micheal Smith, Joe Yearby, Mark Walton, Dexter Williams, Jordan Cronkrite, Brad Kaaya, Kevin Olsen, Jack Allison, Charles Perry, Stan Dobard, Tyre Brady, Malcolm Lewis, Chocolate Gray, Braxton Berrios, Bowman Archibald, Tim Irvin, Jaquan Johnson, Jordan Scarlett, Juwon Young, Denzel Perryman, Tyrek Cole, Deon Cain, Davonte Davis, Tevon Coney, Scott Patchan, Calvin Ridley, Devante Phillips, Sam Bruce, Steve Newbold, Shamar Kilby Lane, Shaun Burgess Becker, Shaquille Quarterman, Cecil Cherry, Jason Strowbridge, Devonaire Clarington, and Tyriq McCord just to name a few

Does that jog your memory?

Last edited:
Well its crucial we get certain positions. The biggest positions of need in my opinion are Dt, Hb, Db. And looking at this class, it looks like we will AT LEAST get 2 solid Hbs. But this class is extremely important to get DBs since there are so many good 1s this year. Add in Devante Peete and a good Dt and im happy.

With our track record of developing talent so far, I would say every recruiting class is absolutely critical.

Advertisement
With our track record of developing talent so far, I would say every recruiting class is absolutely critical.

exactly, there is no class that isn't important. Al has done a decent job of restacking the shelves with talent and with him not being the best developer of it, it is yet that much more important that he gets more natrual talent

I don't think you can ever have a down-year recruiting class and expect to get to BCS. So yes, this is a crucial class. And next year will be crucial, and the year after, and so on. Your overall point is a great one that we're very close to having depth and symmetry of BCS-level talent across all positions, and that 2015 will fill the final hoels and complete the stack, if it closes correctly. For all Golden doubters, we can at least thank him for accomplishing that. And if he can't win on the field, there will be plenty of other strong HC candidates to choose from, as people will salivate over taking on a team with this type of upside.

Advertisement
Miami needs to have at least 4 straight classes filled with elite/good talent.

2012 was one

2013 we missed on a lot of guys

2014 was another even tho we missed on some elite guys

2015 we will see

2016 off to a great start

Some folks on here are funny with this have not developed players yet. Really man, Streeter, Jacory, TC and a few others said hello. Now to the question.

I think Jimbo and the SEC coaches is looking at the talent, on campus that you listed came with all the problems we were having and are probably shaking in their respective boots! I believe some of the posters on here are embeds to try and keep the negative cloud around the program, but we are winning. Anyone who follows football saw what we have been dealing with and we are putting together something in spite of. For those that talk we won last year because the schedule was weak, you funny. You clearly were not born when we were winning title in the Big east and that cry was all we heard!!! Win the games on your schedule. Give me Boise's team the last 10 years, they have cats all over the league, that played those weak schools! If Al does not win this year, then someone else will, especially if the program does not implode again. We have talent ALL OVER THE FIELD for the first in a LONG TIME. As for this coming class every class is important! So, Duke and the boys know it that's why Rep your city is their thing!

what exactly is "UM" caliber talent? haven't seen it in over a decade, so my memory is fuzzy
Its pretty much self explanatory not to mention obvious what I mean by that. Are you being coy or are you just obtuse? I'll define by example.

Duke Johnson, Tracy Howard, Artie Burns, Jamal Carter, Corn Elder, Deon Bush, Alquadin Mohammed, Stacey Coley, Erick Flowers, KC McDermott, Trevor Darling, Danny Isadora, Trent Harris, Jermaine Grace, Deon Bush, Kiy Hester, Darrion Owens,,Chad Thomas, Anthony Moten, Alex Figuaroa, Raphael Kirby, Demetrius Jackson, Micheal Smith, Joe Yearby, Mark Walton, Dexter Williams, Jordan Cronkrite, Brad Kaaya, Kevin Olsen, Jack Allison, Charles Perry, Stan Dobard, Tyre Brady, Malcolm Lewis, Chocolate Gray, Braxton Berrios, Bowman Archibald, Tim Irvin, Jaquan Johnson, Jordan Scarlett, Juwon Young, Denzel Perryman, Tyrek Cole, Deon Cain, Davonte Davis, Tevon Coney, Scott Patchan, Calvin Ridley, Devante Phillips, Sam Bruce, Steve Newbold, Shamar Kilby Lane, Shaun Burgess Becker, Shaquille Quarterman, Cecil Cherry, Jason Strowbridge, Devonaire Clarington, and Tyriq McCord just to name a few

Actually, if you go back and look at some of our very good teams in the '80's and early '90s, and analyzed the rosters, you wouldn't find "Miami-calibre" talent from top to bottom. A lot of our talent behind the starters was ordinary. We just had some good starters and won by outcoaching, out conditioning, and more determination to win. Believe me. We had a ton of kids who were ordinary recruits, including some of our guys who became stars. We never recruited big name kids in large numbers. Everybody thinks we did, but we really didn't.

Here are a couple of good examples: we got such a celebrated player in Jessie Armstead, who eventually became a very good college player. When he and Darrin Smith were in the program at the same time, I thought Darrin was probably as good, if not better. Some might argue, but Smith was not a big name recruit. Guess what? The pros seem to agree--Darrin was a 2nd round draft pick, Jessie was 8th round. Was it because Jessie had a history of injuries? Maybe.

Same with Vilma and D.J. Williams. When they both came in, I was hearing that in practices Vilma was actually better. Both ended up great, but I think that proves that some kids are just as good even if they are not big names. I don't think Vilma was such a big name coming out of HS.

FrancisSawyer I appreciate your post. As you probably know we've discussed this up and down, but I definitely agree there are more playmakers on both sides of the ball than we've had in a while. As has already been said though the key is how we coach that talent up and what we get out of it. So to that extent I agree with Matador.

Considering the maturation and depth of talent now on the roster, what I really want to know is whether we will play conservative and hope not to make mistakes or whether we will go out and impose our will on other teams? Again, good post.

Actually, if you go back and look at some of our very good teams in the '80's and early '90s, and analyzed the rosters, you wouldn't find "Miami-calibre" talent from top to bottom. A lot of our talent behind the starters was ordinary. We just had some good starters and won by outcoaching, out conditioning, and more determination to win. Believe me. We had a ton of kids who were ordinary recruits, including some of our guys who became stars. We never recruited big name kids in large numbers. Everybody thinks we did, but we really didn't.

Here are a couple of good examples: we got such a celebrated player in Jessie Armstead, who eventually became a very good college player. When he and Darrin Smith were in the program at the same time, I thought Darrin was probably as good, if not better. Some might argue, but Smith was not a big name recruit. Guess what? The pros seem to agree--Darrin was a 2nd round draft pick, Jessie was 8th round. Was it because Jessie had a history of injuries? Maybe.

Same with Vilma and D.J. Williams. When they both came in, I was hearing that in practices Vilma was actually better. Both ended up great, but I think that proves that some kids are just as good even if they are not big names. I don't think Vilma was such a big name coming out of HS.

Advertisement
Every class is important, you win titles with back to back to back to back top 5 classes. The top 5 is the difference between the best teams and the rest.

Every class is important, you win titles with back to back to back to back top 5 classes. The top 5 is the difference between the best teams and the rest.

You win titles with a good coaching staff and/or a once in a generation type QB. A good coaching staff would have more than enough talent to win with consistent top 20 classes. Four straight top 5 classes is not necessary nor should it be. Miami shouldn't need 2001 type talent to win a title.

I think it has been so long since Miami has had really good coaching that many have begun to think that the only way to win is with "5 star" guys at every position. Especially when it comes to South Florida talent as I believe S. FL players are consistently underrated by recruiting services due to business decisions (related to appealing to larger fanbases and not appearing to be biased towards certain regions). There are so many four and five star worthy recruits in S.FL that if recruiting services truly made a correct assessment of S. FL talent, there would be 10-15 5 stars and 40+ four stars. The rest of the country would cry afoul if this happened though and it would hurt business. Just as an example... You mean to tell me that there are people that watched Trayone Gray and thought he was a "3 star"?

Miami's roster has enough talent in its starters at all units to win a national title. I still think there are some depth issues at certain positions but the starting talent is there. I have no doubt a coach like Gus Malzahn could walk into Miami, assemble a staff, and win 10+ games right off the bat.

Miami's issue is with coaching, especially on the defensive side of the ball. For example, you don't think McCord and Muhammed would flourish as rush ends in a 4-3?

Point being, I think coaching is much more important that continuous top 5 classes. I'm not saying you can win with a roster full of "2 stars" because there is a point where the talent disparity would come into play. But finishing in the top 20 each year with a great coaching staff is more than enough to win titles, especially at Miami. Now if you can find a great coach and great recruiter (Saban) then you've really hit the jackpot but I'd rather have a great coach over a great recruiter any day of the week.

Advertisement

LOL.

We don't need top 5 classes to win.

First and foremost we need top shelf coaching. Coaching trumps talent IMO.

Look at teams like MSU, Iowa, Ark(Petrino) etc.. They win and have very little heralded players.

But I'll go ahead and play this game. With our current coaching situation, yes we need top 5 classes to compete.

LOL.

We don't need top 5 classes to win.

First and foremost we need top shelf coaching. Coaching trumps talent IMO.

Look at teams like MSU, Iowa, Ark(Petrino) etc.. They win and have very little heralded players.

But I'll go ahead and play this game. With our current coaching situation, yes we need top 5 classes to compete.

We need top 5-10ish classes to win a national title, which si the goal here. The goal is not to be a team like Iowa (who sucks) or MSU who wins sparingly and has no chance of playing for the title.

Here are the last two national title winners and some of their recruiting class rankings, starting with the class the year before they won the title, e.g., 2012 for FSU (2013 title winner)

2013 title - FSU - 6, (cant find 2011), 10, 7 (on rivals)
2012 title - Alabama - (cant find 2011), 5, 1, 1

There doesn't need to be a choice between coaching or talent, the best coaches routinely bring in the best talent. We have neither top-shelf talent or top-shelf coaching. Bottom line you do not win a national title without consistently elite recruiting classes.

In contrast Golden has brought in classes ranked 12, 20, and 9. That's not good enough.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back