Just How Bad Were We? 10 Horrifying Stats Diaz Will Have To Overcome in 2019 (A comprehensive look)....

If you're dealing with OFD (Offensive Football Depression),....just close this thread now...

I'm not even the biggest fan of Diaz yet,....but lies are lies,...and I just thought I'd give Richt's team a comprehensive look stat-wise so the constant 1-liners his detractors can be heard and/or dispelled.

Look,...the guy is far from some grade A, defensive savant in CFB because that requires time at the top to prove. But for 2018,....it's clear that Manny's defense was successful and overcame trashy play on offense and STs.

A poster every now and then alleges that Manny's D. . . .

....beat up on the crap competition so the stats look good.

Suggesting that Miami is the only team in the nation ranked defensively that had "crap competition."

A simple, levelheaded retort to follow with is "well why don't we look at things comprehensively, instead of singling out games, to answer the question of whether this defense failed when it did on it's own, or got enough help to justify it should've done much better??"

So what happens when we stop plucking details from this game or that game and look at EVERYTHING, you see that out of 65 total Power 5 Teams, this is how we stacked up on offense since we were 10-0 last year...AND MIND YOU THIS IS EVEN WITH DEFENSIVE HELP (Shown Later On Down Below). . . .

Miami Since 10-0 (5).jpg

More 2018 Horrifying Stats For UM

Out of 129 FBS Teams....

5) Although we were tied for 9th in Turnovers Gained (2 per game), we were also tied for 116th worst in Turnover Lost per game (2 per game).

6) We were 114th in Passing Efficiency (112.2) (**Northern Ill, Mich St., UCal)

7) We were also 119th in the nation in 1st down conversions (17.08 per game)....

8)....and 120th in the nation in passing 1st down conversions per game (6.84) (**Pitt)

Then, someone like @cmike73 proudly points out that...

You realize time of possession per game was 29 minutes 18 seconds.....so the defense was on the field a less than a minute more........

...but he's completely oblivious to all of the time Richt ran the ball and chewed the clock whenever he could in the 2nd half of 7 or so games we won, misconstruing that stat!

When we look at the 6 games we lost like @cmike73 and Manny's other detractors like to do....

9) Our average time of possession was 27 minutes 18 seconds (which would've ranked 119th in the nation), and

10) We were able to run 61 offensive plays per game (which would've ranked 127th in the nation)

Conclusion: If you're trying to argue that our offense was given opportunities by the defense, that's pretty **** easy in a separate thread.

But if you're trying to sell some narrative that the offense held onto the ball plenty enough time for the defense to perform much better, it's a completely false narrative, as the stats show. If anything, I'm left to wonder why the D didn't fold up midseason and how they were still able to rank where they did, knowing STs and the Offense was going to keep performing amongst the worst in college football.

Again,...let's not act like Diaz is on Rex Ryan's level, defensively. But let's also not make up false narratives to help you not believe in the guy. If you don't like his style of play or trust his gameplanning, that's perfectly fine.

But if you feel like Diaz' defense should've performed much better given the up above,...there's one simple question: Why??

** -- only these bowl-eligible teams were worse

Last edited:
Advertisement
If we had even a below average offense, we'd have 10+ wins this year.

Our offense truly was something disgusting to witness.

Offense and special teams cant get any worse. Even though Richt left a mess, we will be better year one. But Manny needs some time to fix this. He is the perfect man for the job, and i cant wait to see him turn this around. Whens the last time we had a coach this hungry?

Advertisement
would be interested to know how the defense in those same games. Think too many here loving defensive stats in a season that included
the likes of Savannah State, FIU, Toledo, and two really bad teams in FSU and NC

Last edited:
Too lazy to look it up but at one point during the season our D's average starting field position was somewhere among the worst. Again, thanks to the O's ability to sustain a drive and of course, Feagles negative punting average.

would be interested to know how the defense in those same games. Think to many here loving defensive stats in a season that included
the likes of Savannah State, FIU, Toledo, and two really bad teams in FSU and NC

You cant argue that....Romao and the other slurpers will have you believe everything is the Os fault. dIAZ did no wrong. They act like we played in the Big 12 or SEC(against above average offenses) and we were shutting them down. BC Toledo(2 years in a row) Wisconsin(2 years in a row) walked right threw dIAZ and his Defesne

Also Romao post link where these stats come from.
If dIAZ wins against UFAG and doesnt give up 40 then I will eat crow.

Advertisement
What if I told you Miami opponents averaged 64.5 plays a game this year....20th best in the nation yet they were somehow on the field all the time???
What if I told you Miami opponents averaged 8.2 first downs rushing per game for 53rd in the nation (Rushing is the biggest problem I have with dIAZ D....he cant stop it)

And dont use that crap that Richt ran the ball cause we had a lead Bullshlt...Clemson didnt have leads(pretty sure they did) and much higher leads

Not saying dIAZ sucks but not championship caliber except in the Coarstal. He is still getting exposed for the same crap he did at UT

BC game just like the Wisky game Run forest run 3 TD drives of over 75 yards but I suppose it was the O fault for that too

What if I told you per quarter what the D gave up. For a tired D they sure dont give up many points but get exposed in 1st and 3rd quarters)
1st quarter 6.9(85th in nation)
2nd quarter 5.2(22nd in nation
3rd quarter 5.6 (42 in nation)
4th quarter 3.3(4th in nation)

Also Romao post link where these stats come from.
If dIAZ wins against UFAG and doesnt give up 40 then I will eat crow.

You know it's an "e",....right?

They're from the NCAA.

Ask about 1 and we can both get a calculator and hash it out.

Or do you just dislike things that refute your weak points?

Advertisement
In 2002 Ohio State won a championship* by eaking out a bunch of 12-7 games. Our offense was so bad, we couldn’t even do that. We kept putting our defense in a hole that they couldn’t bail out the offense.

I know exactly what poster this is,....lol. Nice seeing you again, bud. It's been some years.

What if I told you Miami opponents averaged 64.5 plays a game this year

64.8,...and closer to the 30's,...but why are we flipping to irrelevant stats instead of having an honest discussion?

If the Offense cant stay on the field,... (61 plays per game in losses,...which is an average that would've been basically the WORST in the nation if over 12 games),...doesn't the D have to play more snaps? Doesn't that end this particular discussion right now??

This point, like the time of the possession point,...is effectively nuked. What next?

What if I told you Miami opponents averaged 8.2 first downs rushing per game for 53rd in the nation

I'd believe it given the stat about our offense ranking basically 120th in the nation in 1st downs @ 17.08. That includes rushing, passing, and penalties.

You know at least one of the teams is probably going to end up getting 1st downs in a game, right? Either that or the ball just stays still as we watch punts,....another horror story I havent mentioned.

Let me guess,...you want to argue that the punts weren't all that bad, right?

Lol this dupe says if our offense stinks and cant get 1st downs, the other team shouldn't either by default. Borderline moronic.

Last edited:
What if I told you per quarter what the D gave up. For a tired D they sure dont give up many points but get exposed in 1st and 3rd quarters)
1st quarter 6.9(85th in nation)
2nd quarter 5.2(22nd in nation
3rd quarter 5.6 (42 in nation)
4th quarter 3.3(4th in nation)

What if I told you that the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position is a logical fallacy called cherry picking?

Advertisement
What if I told you that the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position is a logical fallacy called cherry picking?

What if I told you that is exactly what you and Romao are doing... cherry picking...You blame everything on the offense yet the opponents ran 64.5 plays a game .... 20th in nation

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2018-team-defense.html

You know it's an "e",....right?

They're from the NCAA.

Ask about 1 and we can both get a calculator and hash it out.

Or do you just dislike things that refute your weak points?

They are weak points only cause they prove you wrong. Everyone knows the offense sucked...no arguing that but not everything is the O fault. And every stat I bring up proves it. Just like BC and Wisconsin this year. Its a continuing flaw that dIAZ doesnt fix. Been going on at UT MSU and now Miami. Does his D suck... no.....would it stop a top 30 offense......no

What if I told you that is exactly what you and Romao are doing... cherry picking...You blame everything on the offense yet the opponents ran 64.5 plays a game .... 20th in nation

I'm cherry picking by referring to entire-season stat comparisons,....and half-season (losses, since THOSE ARE THE COMPLAINTS) stat comparisons??

Things that make you feel better, and things that are facts, are 2 separate categories.

You lost this thing, tbh, when you asked where I got the statistics.

...no arguing that but not everything is the O fault.

...no one said everything was the O's fault...

And every stat I bring up proves it.

So you proved an argument that you made up yourself is false. Congrats.

Just like BC and Wisconsin this year...

We played 12-13 games. Would rather tally everything.

Does his D suck... no.....would it stop a top 30 offense......no

If it's 2018 and we have to field the same crummy Offense and Special Teams, I agree.

I'm cherry picking by referring to entire-season stat comparisons,....and half-season (losses, since THOSE ARE THE COMPLAINTS) stat comparisons??

Things that make you feel better, and things that are facts, are 2 separate categories.

You lost this thing, tbh, when you asked where I got the statistics.

...no one said everything was the O's fault...

So you proved an argument that you made up yourself is false. Congrats.

We played 12-13 games. Would rather tally everything.

If it's 2018 and we have to field the same crummy Offense and Special Teams, I agree.

Well get rid of the FIU Savannah State games....those shouldnt count just on who those teams are.....
Well you didnt provide any links to your so called stats sooooooo prove it.

I am bringing up the Toledo BC both Wisconsin games cause you blame the O for the games but yet when I state facts and stats you want to go and add the Savannah State FIU(stat padding game against JV teams and yes everyone does it) Show me the top 5 offenses we played in the last year and half

Meanwhile, Taylor just ran for another 10 yards....

Just glad we are bringing in a DC and not handing it over to Panda

Advertisement
Back